Westport EMS sees influx in calls, decrease in volunteers

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I like how Kavsuvb keeps trying to make sense of what is fundamentally an inappropriate use of child labor by the community.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Town up in Alaska EMS is ran totally by High School Students. and I think most of fire is too
Alaska is the biggest state in the US... more than twice as large as the #2... can you narrow down with town in the biggest state in the US that you are referring to?

OP
OP
Kavsuvb

Kavsuvb

Forum Captain
I like how Kavsuvb keeps trying to make sense of what is fundamentally an inappropriate use of child labor by the community.
It's cause who's going to replace you when you're thrown into the nursing home or assisted living center? Getting High School teens interested in Fire and EMS careers, sets us up for the next generation of healthcare providers. I rather get high school kids interested in Fire and EMS careers than. In fact, many High schools in this country run EMS classes in the High school and teach EMT to High school Juniors and Seniors.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
It's cause who's going to replace you when you're thrown into the nursing home or assisted living center? Getting High School teens interested in Fire and EMS careers, sets us up for the next generation of healthcare providers. I rather get high school kids interested in Fire and EMS careers than. In fact, many High schools in this country run EMS classes in the High school and teach EMT to High school Juniors and Seniors.
No one here is objecting to getting high school students interested in fire or EMS. Heck, no one here is even objecting to an explorer program. What people are objecting to is pulling high school students out of class to respond to medical calls and using them as free labor to do so.

OP
OP
Kavsuvb

Kavsuvb

Forum Captain
No one here is objecting to getting high school students interested in fire or EMS. Heck, no one here is even objecting to an explorer program. What people are objecting to is pulling high school students out of class to respond to medical calls and using them as free labor to do so.
The town of Darien and Westport Connecticut allows them and the town residents in those two towns don't object and even back them. It's why it's the only part of Connecticut that allows it but the rest of Connecticut doesn't or doesn't have a program that is similar to Westport and Darien. Although I have heard good things from them and I have medic friends that work with them and they say the EMT high school kids are on par with everyone and even exceed the state standard

Surferdude92

Forum Ride Along
While I agree with you that teenagers should be allowed to become EMTs and get involved in EMS, I'd make the distinction that those kids in towns like Westport and Darien don't go on to work in EMS.

Surferdude92

Forum Ride Along
Are you objecting to letting them become EMTs or just objecting to the town's entire emergency system being balanced on their shoulders?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Are you objecting to letting them become EMTs or just objecting to the town's entire emergency system being balanced on their shoulders?
Mostly the second but I’m also not a fan of letting anyone under 18 become a licensed/certified EMT.

OP
OP
Kavsuvb

Kavsuvb

Forum Captain
Mostly the second but I’m also not a fan of letting anyone under 18 become a licensed/certified EMT.
The state of Connecticut allows it and some states may have rules that are different. It varies from state to state on what they allow including allowing teens to be EMR's and EMT's