Were your EMT-B class tests Top Secret?

Vince

Forum Ride Along
I'm currently in College for my EMT-B course here in Colorado springs, CO.

Our Tests are Top Secret. We get to go over our answers as a class and tell the instructor why we picked that answer. Every test (4) so far the instructor has given us between 3 to 6 answers due because in reality(out in the field) you would not do as the book answer. :)

Our instructor is very kind and gives us a print out of what to study and how many questions might be on that subject on the test.

ChicagolandIFT

Forum Crew Member
Every class I have ever been to keeps tests top secrete. I assumed this was a general rule of thumb for all of education. It promotes studying the material, not the questions and answers. If you are a visual learner, visualize the book you get, and remember the information in it, then you will know the answers. If you have a legitimate learning disability, you may want to consult a specialized educator. We had a student in my chem class who had to put a transparent sheet with a red film over the pages in order to compensate for a sequencing issue, this was allowed for his tests too (although the instructor kept the red "testing sheet" with him until the day of the test, and he turned it back in with the test). With most EMT classes requiring less than 150 hours it would be advisable to spend a great deal of time studying outside of class as well.

mcgrubbs

Forum Crew Member
I'm in a Basic class at a community college here in southern NM.

After taking each test, we go over/discuss them. She gives us plenty of time to discuss and ask questions about the things we messed up on. After that, we don't see them again. I'm fine with it.

thatJeffguy

Forum Lieutenant
They said it is because they don't want any future students/other companies to have access to them.

That's what I want to do, but it is not allowed because they think anyone taking any notes whatsoever is writing down their precious questions. Oh and our EMT book is over 1,000 pages.
How, exactly, can they prevent you from taking notes? I suppose they could "fail" you from the class, but I think you'd win that one on appeal unless this was some odd mom/pop operation. I can think of no statute that would prohibit you from so doing. Ask the proctor to see the rule that prevents such action, if you really feel that it's hurting your ability to acquire knowledge. I'd just take some notes on my personal notepad. It's not as if they can detain you or take your personal property from you, without committing a rather serious infraction of the law.

OP
OP
A

Aerin-Sol

Forum Captain
How, exactly, can they prevent you from taking notes? I suppose they could "fail" you from the class, but I think you'd win that one on appeal unless this was some odd mom/pop operation. I can think of no statute that would prohibit you from so doing. Ask the proctor to see the rule that prevents such action, if you really feel that it's hurting your ability to acquire knowledge. I'd just take some notes on my personal notepad. It's not as if they can detain you or take your personal property from you, without committing a rather serious infraction of the law.

They can kick me out of the class.

ond, the comment I made about you "possibly skating through", was in direct response to your bold statement above. People who say it does not matter anyways and then they get a few lucky guesses on the exam are now certified to do something for which they have no real foundation upon which to build all future education...this, is scary.

National Registry is designed so a few lucky guesses will let you pass? Wow, maybe that's a problem.

As for being unnecessarily rude, may I remind you that you posted in a public forum to solicit ALL opinions both good and bad. The first time someone hears the truth or something against their line of thinking, they throw the rude card when in actuality, the post was exactly what you needed. It offers a different perspective (didn't say right, wrong, better or worse...just different) and typically once you calm down and comprehend and open your mind, you will see how a different perspective can sometimes open your eyes to things you were not aware of before, thereby causing you to change or modify your current mode of thinking.

So implying that someone is unprofessional, not learning the class material, not interacting in class, not reviewing the book, not interacting with classmates, not exerting themself, can't comprehend the amazing words of wisdom you're writing, is whing, and is emotional is not rude? Maybe you should put forth some "extra effort" and find a dictionary.

Last edited by a moderator:

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Every class I have ever been to keeps tests top secrete. I assumed this was a general rule of thumb for all of education. It promotes studying the material, not the questions and answers. If you are a visual learner, visualize the book you get, and remember the information in it, then you will know the answers. If you have a legitimate learning disability, you may want to consult a specialized educator. We had a student in my chem class who had to put a transparent sheet with a red film over the pages in order to compensate for a sequencing issue, this was allowed for his tests too (although the instructor kept the red "testing sheet" with him until the day of the test, and he turned it back in with the test). With most EMT classes requiring less than 150 hours it would be advisable to spend a great deal of time studying outside of class as well.

Red, blue and grey films are good tools. Using pale blue/grey helps those with dyslexia see words with less difficulty.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Slow down on the anger and just read and digest....

I did not say the NR Exam was designed where a few lucky guesses would allow you to pass, but as with any exam on any subject, it is possible where you could pass simply by clicking the right choice with no knowledge of how or why it is the correct answer.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then...

If you inferred all of those things you listed, then youa re wrong. At no point did I say you were unprofessional nor imply it. I merely questioned whether those of us already in the profession should lower standards to accomdate those having issue with them.

The only direct comment I made about your behavior specifically was that you need to read the book, learn the material and not rely on tests as a learning tool.

The remainder of the comments were tips on how to succeed, at no point did I say you do not do these, but if you are not already then I encourage you to do so. I also said it takes extra effort to do those things...which part of that statement is inaccurate?

Yes I am sharing words of wisdom. I am not always right and I am far from perfect, but I am someone who has a lot of experience in the field and with EMS education. Did any other posters call me out and say I was being crazy, wrong or rude? If not, then usually this is because I didn't. Only you perceived it as such...

As for the whining, yes I did ask why are you whinging based on exactly what YOU wrote. You stated it really did not matter...I posed if it does not matter, then why are you whining? Perfectly legitimate question based solely on what you shared.

Again, this misunderstanding on your behalf goes back to reading comprehension and refusal to listen to an opinion which varies from what you really wanted to hear.

Cheers!

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
Answering the OP: Our final exam was top secret too. They wouldn't and wont let us know what we missed. Kinda bugs me, the questions were insane so I'm curious about what was right and wrong. Oh well though. But it's interesting to see our programs wasn't the only one doing that.

guardian528

Forum Lieutenant
It seems that this is kind of common practice but it is such a contrast from college. I've never had a professor not allow us to keep our tests.

really? what kind of college do you go to? profs can do whatever they want with their tests, which includes not giving them back.