Walking out a broken leg

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Coming at this from a Wilderness First Aid perspective, if you can splint the extremity and assist them without too much discomfort - I say go for it, if there is no other quick way to get them out. If getting a Quad to you is do-able, then go that route.

This is a textbook case for a Boy Scout First Aid meet. And guess what - 2-person assist would probably work here.

DPM

Forum Captain
If it's not a femur you could even take turns piggy-backing him. I would feel right letting him walk though. I walked back to camp with a broken ankle after a night out on the piss, just because I managed doesn't mean it was a good idea!

Hellsbells

Forum Crew Member
My first thought that comes to mind is YOU CAN BE SUED.

For the love of god, you Americans are so paralyzed by fear of litigation.

The salient point in this query is that its a wilderness type situation (more or less) not an urban or rural situation. Clearly, its not ideal to have this pt walk out, but the situation may dictate some form of assisted ambulation on the pts part, where no weight is put on the injured leg.

As the OP states, this happened 400 yards into a cut line, so obviously this is a industry job of some sort (pipeline or logging operation likely). Typically, this means there is one responder and a truck camper used as an ambulance which may or may not be equiped with the proper equipment for this type of rescue.

So, no a pt with a leg fracture should not, under normal circumstances be "walked" out, but sometimes the circumstances dictate a modified response. Additionally, it sounds like the OP did in fact find a safe solution, although apparently, using a quad is the "lazy" way to do things. However, one should pause to consider the wisdom of four men hauling a heavy cot the length of 4 footballs fields over rough terrian thats lousy with tree roots, and other debris.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
although apparently, using a quad is the "lazy" way to do things. However, one should pause to consider the wisdom of four men hauling a heavy cot the length of 4 footballs fields over rough terrian thats lousy with tree roots, and other debris.

But think of the comraderie it would build when they all had to crawl out with broken legs together. :):unsure:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
For the love of god, you Americans are so paralyzed by fear of litigation.

The salient point in this query is that its a wilderness type situation (more or less) not an urban or rural situation. Clearly, its not ideal to have this pt walk out, but the situation may dictate some form of assisted ambulation on the pts part, where no weight is put on the injured leg.

As the OP states, this happened 400 yards into a cut line, so obviously this is a industry job of some sort (pipeline or logging operation likely). Typically, this means there is one responder and a truck camper used as an ambulance which may or may not be equiped with the proper equipment for this type of rescue.

So, no a pt with a leg fracture should not, under normal circumstances be "walked" out, but sometimes the circumstances dictate a modified response. Additionally, it sounds like the OP did in fact find a safe solution, although apparently, using a quad is the "lazy" way to do things. However, one should pause to consider the wisdom of four men hauling a heavy cot the length of 4 footballs fields over rough terrian thats lousy with tree roots, and other debris.

I'm pretty sure the OP was referring to a sporting event, but I may be wrong.

There is no reason unless it is your only option to have a patient walk on a broken leg, splinted or not.

Worsening the break, further damaging surrounding soft tissues, nerves and vasculature all can result in a much worse disability to the patient.

Yes we are all afraid of litigation because our country is so freakin sue happy. Now if you are a bystander you're covered under most good sam laws but as a employee of an EMS agency any lawyer worth anything could tear you to pieces if it made it to court and the patient had suffered a significant disability from it.

Hellsbells

Forum Crew Member
Hey Everyone

What are your opinions on a pt walking on a splinted suspected broken tib/fib, no obvious deformities, just point tenderness. Pt said he heard a crack when he put his foot in a hole. Pain 5/10.Walk is 400 yards along a cut line to the road or bring an quad with a rescue sled in.

Doesn't sound like any sporting event I'm aware of. Unless you know of a game played on a 400 yard field.

Anyway, I do agree with you, not good to walk a pt, not promoting doing it, just saying if equipment/manpower is not up to par, then one can help support his weight and have him hop on the good leg.

Litigation here in Canada is (sadly) on the rise. However, not to anywhere near the point it is in the US. We have some standard CYA precautions here, but I am not aware, at least personally, of any recent situations where Paramedics have been sued, successfully or otherwise.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I'm pretty sure the OP was referring to a sporting event, but I may be wrong.

There is no reason unless it is your only option to have a patient walk on a broken leg, splinted or not.

Worsening the break, further damaging surrounding soft tissues, nerves and vasculature all can result in a much worse disability to the patient.

Yes we are all afraid of litigation because our country is so freakin sue happy. Now if you are a bystander you're covered under most good sam laws but as a employee of an EMS agency any lawyer worth anything could tear you to pieces if it made it to court and the patient had suffered a significant disability from it.

This country may be sue happy, but not to the point that you're first consideration when figuring out how to transport a patient is YOU COULD BE SUED. You're considerations should revolve around what is medically correct and ethical. Do that and the chance of litigation drops tremendously.

hippocratical

Forum Lieutenant
Walk out? Not me.

Although I did bungy jump with one...

ledge.jpg

TatuICU

Forum Lieutenant
Shoulda rubbed some dirt on it first