Volunteers

PeteBlair

Forum Crew Member
I am involved with a totally volunteer EMS agency in a retirement community in Florida.
I am looking for and would greatly appreciate responses from EMS volunteers specifically between the ages of 50 – 65. Please respond by email or private message. I have two questions:
1. Why did you volunteer for an EMS agency?
2. What is the single greatest reason you continue to do so?

Thanks!

Medic One

Forum Lieutenant
I work as a part time fill in (paid) for the nationally recognized Heritage Village Ambulance. The volunteer Amb has a few paid staff like me but it is the only Volunteer EMS agency in the country run and staffed by 55 and older volunteers. JEMS magazine has done several articles on them. Call George Goodwin (service chief) at Heritage Village Ambulance. To answer all your questions.
There website is http://hvambulance.org

Michael - "Medic One"
FF/Paramedic, EMS-Instructor
Pace / Medical Car Driver Lime Rock Park

Last edited by a moderator:

mcdonl

Forum Captain
I am in my mid 40's but I will answer your questions:

1 - I volunteer for my town for three major reasons. First, I used to coach my kids (Daughters) in sports and other academic programs. When they became teens I realized I lack the skillset to manage large groups of children and I needed to re-direct my volunteer time. When those now teens turn to women, and graduate from college I will also be at the time in my career where I am thinking about retirement. One of my goals when I retire is disaster relief. A goal with out strategies is a dream, and a strategy without objectives is little more than a goal. That being said, I set a strategy of EMS/FF to reach my goal of disaster relief and the objectives I needed to meet were EMS (I stopped at Intermediate because I do not feel it is safe to be a medic unless you do so as a career, or you already have a higher education degree in healthcare of the RN level or higher), Fire Fighter II, Incident Management and personal protection and defensive tactics.... All of these objectives combined with continuing education will allow me to fullfill my goals. Second, I like action. Third, I like to drive firetrucks and ambulances.

2 - People. I like to help people.