volunteer Depts

fishyfish

Forum Crew Member
Has any one noticed some volunteer depts are a bit picky. I live directly across the street from my hometown dept. Fire and EMS are in one Unit. So i figured no brainier iv been an EMT a while. I can volunteer Put in my app for EMS and fire. wait a month no call. So im like okay Ill call and check. Fire get back to me oh yeah your on shakes my hand we will call you tomorrow. I'm like sweet get on the fire side EMS will let me on. The call never came that next day. It can 2 weeks later. To tell me they have changed their mind. That my attitude was horribly aggressive and Refuse to take orders. I was kind of like this.<_< are you kidding me? Iv been an EMT 100% feedback for a while. This was during my earlier days. So I was devastated. I later found out they walked on a brand new kid with ZERO experience. Not long after that I seen the NEW GUY boose crusin with some of the dept fire fighters. I was getting gas getting ready for my shift. That was a while ago. But for whatever reason took the self pride out of me. I guess the rejection of your hometown upsets a guy. EMS never got back to me after a phone call I gave it up. I was working as EMT for a neighboring town then. But it still stumps me how they could say that about me when. I had never done what they had claimed. I'm a paid emt now running with to EMS company's. But tonight upon returning home I seen the firetrucks rolling and brought up bad memories. So guys what do you think about this. Is it common?

yowzer

Forum Lieutenant
Volunteer fire departments are only slightly easier to get on than career ones, in my experience. They have people beating down the doors to try to get on, especially ones that don't require you live in district, after all. Written tests, multiple rounds of interviews, physical tests, etc. just like career. Even then, sometimes it's who you know that matters most.

vcuemt

Ambulance Driver
Around here professional EMSs require a year of EMT/driver experience before they'll consider you, so the volunteer squads are pretty popular. I put in an application and didn't hear back for a year, after I'd all but forgotten about it. The reason has nothing to do with who I knew, them not wanting to bring me on, etc. and everything to do with the fact that people don't do volunteer EMS to push paper or worry about administration. I wouldn't take it personally.