Vests

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
gradygirl

gradygirl

TROUBLE
I'm getting a concealable, under-the-shirt vest. I think a tactical vest would be almost as dangerous as wearing a sign that says "Here I am! I'm an EMT in a vest! Shoot me! Shoot me!" Besides, I think that would suck during the summer.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
JJR512 said:
For those of you who wear vests or otherwise have a preference, do you prefer the more discreet, under-the-shirt type, or the obvious over-the-shirt, tactical-style vest?

My guess is that those of you who wear them all the time go for the under-the-shirt, whereas those of you who only want to toss it on when you feel you might need it prefer the tactical style. But my guess aside, I'm still interested in hearing your comments on this.
I own a concealble vest... I also have an outer carrier for the vest with "EMS" on it.. but i've never used it.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
The ultimate goal is that you are protected, look professional, but do not look like PD. I would think wearing it under the uniform shirt is your best bet.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
On that note... a conceable vest really isn't that hidden... Start looking at the local PD... you can tell if/when they wear a vest.

Also, don't be suprised to find that some of your co-workers react oddly to the idea of you wearing a vest... some will look at you really funny... and some will take to punching you in the chest for no reason (this is when it is a good idea to wear that steel trauma plate in the front of the vest... that HURTS!).

OP
OP
gradygirl

gradygirl

TROUBLE
Well, if they start to punch me, I'll just punch them back in the same exact place, but they won't be wearing a vest! :p

GaEMT

Forum Crew Member
They all suck in the summer. But it beats the permanent dirt nap. In Georgia it is real nice when it is 98 degrees and humidity of 85% or so. You don't have to worry about attracting any members of the opposite sex. LOL. But if you really want a good cardio workout, run a couple of miles with the thing on!

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
GaEMT said:
They all suck in the summer. But it beats the permanent dirt nap. In Georgia it is real nice when it is 98 degrees and humidity of 85% or so. You don't have to worry about attracting any members of the opposite sex. LOL. But if you really want a good cardio workout, run a couple of miles with the thing on!
On that note...My firefighter instructor goes to the gym and does the treadmill and stepper in full turnout gear, including SCBA. Not with the facepiece on, of course, because the air wouldn't last that long. But despite the odd looks he gets, I have no doubt he can outlast anyone half his age on the fireground...

Kendall

Forum Lieutenant
For my service, it's optional - but generally discouraged. We're a volunteer stand-by service and the higher ups tend not to want members buying their own equipment... Kinda silly, but we'll roll with it.

Edmonton EMS makes it mandatory for all active care employees to wear a concealed trauma and ballistics vest while on duty - you don't wear it, you're unemployed.

I'm trying to convince my service to go with an over-garment style vest. It can be deployed on teams going into high risk situations or venues and it adds a higher level of visibility.

Personally, I would wear one if I were employed in the field. I want to make sure my future kids have a father at the end of my shift. Things are so unpredictable out there - which is why I'll opt to be a paramedic instructor.

As MMiz said - it's totally up to you!

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
i would say it depends on the service you work for, the service area you cover and the shift you work. for example, you work a day shift for a private transport company in a reasobly safe area. vest isnt necessary. you work a day shift for a city rescue in a bad area, coin toss on this one. night shift in detroit on the city rescue, i would say HELL YES!!!

bottom line, its up to you and whether you feel safe. if the vest makes you feel better, hazing be damned, wear it. dont let them discourage you.

for the record, i work a private service, night shift, w/ a major metro city m/a contract. i wear a vest when the calls sound like they might need it( bad area, pd on scene, unkwn emerg call etc...)

be safe
Better to safe than sorry! I plan on dying a little old lady at 96 and a half and being pleasantly confused saying to all of the folks, " back in my day when I was a medic!!!! Hee! Hee!!

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
Galls' vests are made by, or were made by PointBlank... mine is the mid-range galls' vest (IIA) and is manufactured by Point Blank.

Whatever you do... get one that FITS properly, and don't go for the "Level III SWAT vest" unless you REALLY want to wear that... a IIa or II should be "good enough" unless Dirty Harry is a cop in your town, running around with a 44mag...
Where I live we don't have many people who have pistols. The firearm of choice up here are rifles in the .30-06 to 300 win magnum range. I'd be weraing a lvl 3 or 4 vest since a .30-06 or .300 win magnum round can go through a lvl 2 vest.

Last edited by a moderator:

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
This thread is a few years old. Lets let is rest in piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.