Versed + hypotension

TYMEDIC

Forum Crew Member
I'd be more worried about hypotension secondary to hanging an amiodorone drip more than I'd be worried about it from versed. Depending on where I am and my transport time is going to decide what I'd do.

What's their diastolic pressure? I want to know this person's MAP. 80 SBP is pretty low to be "normal" for a patient but weirder things have happened.

"stable" VT is a crap term, no one stays stable in VT. The last guy I saw in VT dropped 90 points SBP in <10 minutes, but I'm pretty sure the amio I hung had something to do with it as well.

With the pressure provided by the OP I'd be leaning towards cardioverting this guy sooner rather than defibrillating him later but my instructors have always stressed the point that we shouldn't be scared of electricity. I've seen more than a few patients get cardioverted in the hospital and had one man's AICD cardiovert him on my gurney as we were capturing a 12-lead.

Never seen someone cardioverted from VT with pulses into asystole. Not saying it can't happen though.

Retrograde amnestic effects from versed are a wonderful thing.

----------------------
why do you think that the amio caused that sig. of a drop in systolic bp? Did you provide a loading does prior to the drip? Never heard of that causing such a drop like that.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
----------------------
why do you think that the amio caused that sig. of a drop in systolic bp? Did you provide a loading does prior to the drip? Never heard of that causing such a drop like that.

Unfortunately I can't explain the patho behind it. I've hung amio twice on VT with pulses, once post ROSC, and seen it multiple times in the ER during clinicals and every time there was a significant drop in SBP after the amio was administered.

I suspect that drop also had something to do with the VT since my amio didn't convert it.

No loading dose on pulsatile VT.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Look at the overall depressant effect on the cardiac cycle of amio and there's you answer.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Look at the overall depressant effect on the cardiac cycle of amio and there's you answer.

That was my guess at it.

It's labeled as a Class III however acts on all the classes. Reducing force of contraction secondary to Ca+ blocking effects would be the top on my list of answers for ya Ty.

TYMEDIC

Forum Crew Member
Unfortunately I can't explain the patho behind it. I've hung amio twice on VT with pulses, once post ROSC, and seen it multiple times in the ER during clinicals and every time there was a significant drop in SBP after the amio was administered.

I suspect that drop also had something to do with the VT since my amio didn't convert it.

No loading dose on pulsatile VT.

hmm. strange. I cant count how many times ive used it. Although I prefer Lido. Your supposed to use a loading dose of 150mg. over ten min. Then hang a maintenance drip/infusion. Never heard of someone jumping to an infusion off the bat. Im guessing theres additional pathologies going to to cause that sig. drop in bp.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
hmm. strange. I cant count how many times ive used it. Although I prefer Lido. Your supposed to use a loading dose of 150mg. over ten min. Then hang a maintenance drip/infusion. Never heard of someone jumping to an infusion off the bat. Im guessing theres additional pathologies going to to cause that sig. drop in bp.

That's what I've been hanging. Sorry for the confusion. My transport times are so short that we barely get our 150 in before getting to the ER.

I've never used lido, had the opportunity the other day but deferred it since we were backing into the ER. Only time we can use it is R-on-T PVCs.

I'm not doubting your experience at all, I'm just basing my comments on my experiences and *limited* understanding of the pharmacology behind it.

Last edited by a moderator:

TYMEDIC

Forum Crew Member
That was my guess at it.

It's labeled as a Class III however acts on all the classes. Reducing force of contraction secondary to Ca+ blocking effects would be the top on my list of answers for ya Ty.

copy that. true that. it does Possesses some vagolytic and/or calcium channel blocking activity.

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
Versed or Valium. The only problem is it still will not help for pain much and the PT is still going to feel it. If it is my PT and they are not symptomatic (chest pn, nausea, etc) I wouldn't cardiovert unless absolutely necessary.

When did Converting Vtach not become absolutely necessary whether it be chemically or electricity? I feel like I am missing something here.

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
There's supposedly a small amount of retrograde amnesia with Versed. However, I've been bedside with several family members who have received Versed. So far, they have all had full recollection up until about 30 seconds to a minute POST administration. So I have my doubts.

I remember everything after the versed admin, however I only received 2.5mg

I once received 7.5mg during a different procedure, I don't remember anything from that one.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I remember everything after the versed admin, however I only received 2.5mg

I once received 7.5mg during a different procedure, I don't remember anything from that one.
IIRC, out here, the dose of versed we give IV/IO or IM is 0.1mg/kg up to 6 mg for sedation for pacing or for seizure. Basically, most adults will get close to or right at 6 mg, so their recollection of events will likely be quite limited, if the retrograde amnesia is dose-related rather than route-related.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
You have to take into account that we are all healthier, younger(ish) ;) individuals so we can process me meds much better than an older person who you'd more than likely see this person in can.

With that said I watched 2 mg IV put a decent sized 35 year old on their ***. On the other hand I've seen an angry, delusional 60 year old take 4 mg IV 2mg x2 and keep fighting with us. It depends on the person. That's assuming you have IV access though and you aren't going IM.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
When did Converting Vtach not become absolutely necessary whether it be chemically or electricity? I feel like I am missing something here.

When the potential risk outweighs the potential benefits.

As was mentioned before, some people can remain in v-tach for hours.

I have even paced a person out of v-tach and no idea how long he was in it, but it had to be at least an hour.

I have said many times, medicine is not an if:then type of situation.

Just because paramedics are drilled on what they can do, doesn't always make it the right thing to do.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Can the average paramedic decide when the benefit outweighs the risk?

Veneficus

Forum Chief

FLdoc2011

Forum Captain
When the potential risk outweighs the potential benefits.

As was mentioned before, some people can remain in v-tach for hours.

I have even paced a person out of v-tach and no idea how long he was in it, but it had to be at least an hour.

I have said many times, medicine is not an if:then type of situation.

Just because paramedics are drilled on what they can do, doesn't always make it the right thing to do.

What do you consider hemodynamically stable??

I certainly wouldn't sit on this guy too long. And I don't necessarily agree that the risks would outweighs the benefit in this case.

are other factors that I would want to know as well.... is he symptomatic at all, diaphoretic, chest pain, cardiac history?

He can still be AOx3 but with a BP of 80 and having active chest pain, something like that I'm not going to sit on. Yea, there's always the risk of putting them into VF which you would then shock out of it, but if you're waiting and watching and he then codes you bet you're going to be questioned on why you sat on a hypotensive Vtach.......

Do you have any data/guidelines/studies you're going off of?

Admitted a pt here just in past week who presented with weakness, found by EMS to be in VT, was diaphoretic/weak. Don't think he was hypotension but I'll have to check. Was urgently shocked in field after some versed and then found to be a STEMI in the ED.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
What do you consider hemodynamically stable??.

The maintaining of perfusion to the heart and the brain without decompensation.

I certainly wouldn't sit on this guy too long. And I don't necessarily agree that the risks would outweighs the benefit in this case.

What case? You have 1 sentence and a host of information missing. U submitted that always jumping on a patient and cardioverting may not always be the best thing EMS can do. Particularly with a short transport time.

are other factors that I would want to know as well.... is he symptomatic at all, diaphoretic, chest pain, cardiac history?

Yea, me too.

He can still be AOx3 but with a BP of 80 and having active chest pain, something like that I'm not going to sit on.

That is not in the evidence here.

Yea, there's always the risk of putting them into VF which you would then shock out of it, but if you're waiting and watching and he then codes you bet you're going to be questioned on why you sat on a hypotensive Vtach........

Shouldn't sometime in that waiting and watching, especially in the 1 on 1 patient ratio of EMS, wouldn't you notice if there were any signs of decompensation?

I mentioned pacing a pt in vtach earlier. That patient had a pacemaker that failed. Could this patient also have the same condition? from the 1 sentence given, let us not add "what if's"

Do you have any data/guidelines/studies you're going off of? .

Data for what?

Listening potential outcomes of cardioversion?

Admitted a pt here just in past week who presented with weakness, found by EMS to be in VT, was diaphoretic/weak. Don't think he was hypotension but I'll have to check. Was urgently shocked in field after some versed and then found to be a STEMI in the ED.

So you shocked an unstable patient in vtach, based on more than just a blood pressure number. So what?

FLdoc2011

Forum Captain
That's why I said I wanted more information in this case. All I have to go on is hypotension so right off the bat I'm leaning towards earlier treatment since that's all I have to go on. I was just playing a little devil's advocate since you had taken more of the opposite stance with the same limited information.

It's hypothetical anyway since we would have more information than just what was presented so its kind of a mute point.