Verbilization of establishing an IV and online mega codes

HatchetHarry

Forum Crew Member
If anyone here was taught specific verbalization for establishing an IV I would really appreciate it if you could post it here. When I was in school the hands on was more important than the verbalization but I have a practical exam coming up and I want to make sure I hit all the points.

Also if anyone knows of any free megacode practice online I would appreciate it if you could link me to that as well. I already used this site http://acls-algorithms.com/acls-megacode-simulator (not plugging site it has free exercises) and think it refreshed me on some things.

Thanks alot

OP
OP
H

HatchetHarry

Forum Crew Member
Do u mean just verbally describe how you would start the IV?

Yea some people here were taught to state you are looking for a bouncing non-rolling vein and angle you are advancing the catheter etc. My teacher didnt care much for verbalization and was more worried about doing it hands on but Im not sure what the people testing me are going to be like so I just want to make sure.

18G

Paramedic
Gotcha... why are they only wanting you to verbalize how to do a psychomotor skill like IV access? just curious.

I would suggest going to the NREMT website and printing the skill station check sheet for the IV station. It lists all the steps that a candidate must take when performing IV access in a test situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
H

HatchetHarry

Forum Crew Member
Gotcha... why are they only wanting you to verbalize how to do a psychomotor skill like IV access? just curious.

I would suggest going to the NREMT website and printing the skill station check sheet for the IV station. It lists all the steps that a candidate must take when performing IV access in a test situation.

Well I think they require both the hands on skill and verbalization to go along with it. Dont know why when it should be obvious if you know how to do it properly but not my choice.

Good idea on the NREMT site ill have to look at that