Ventilations and HR - Peds

DieselBolus17

Forum Probie
hi all, tried doing a quick Google search but nothing specific is coming up. What is the reason/pathophysiology ventilation increases heart rate in children?

Thanks in advance.

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
CO2 + H2O <> H2CO3 <> HCO3(-) + H(+)

Assuming a shift from normal state.

Hyperventilation blows off CO2 by repeatedly refreshing the air mixture at alveoli.
Reduced blood CO2 causes a shift in blood equilibrium, causing more free H+ to be taken up by buffer system. Result is more alkaline blood.
Reduced H+ environment will make free calcium in blood have a higher affinity for albumin protein floating around, resulting in more bound calcium and less free calcium.

Calcium has a negative chronotropic (reduces time/rate, so reduced heart rate) effect on the heart. So a lack of Ca will result in a positive chronotropic shift (guess what that will do).

Last edited:

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
Interesting, never heard that theory. But calcium, if anything, is a positive chronotrope.

OP
OP
D

DieselBolus17

Forum Probie
Not a HW question. I'm out of school lol. Just random stuff that pops into my head that I can't remember the answers to.

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
More conventional thinking:
Lowered CO2 in brain stem/medulla results in reduced sympathetic stimulation of vasomotor center, reducing vasoconstriction.
Apparently CO2 has an independent vasodilatory effect, so a lowered pCO2 will reduce vasodilation as well?

I'm assuming the effect of the vasomotor center is much larger, given how sensitive it is, causing an overall dilation of the blood vessels and respective compensation by circulatory system until the chemical equilibrium of the blood is made closer to normal by the kidneys (assuming you've stopped ventilating/hyperventilating at this point).

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
Maybe dial it back a bit.

The Occam's Razor answer: does ventilation increase heartrate in children? I'm not entirely sure what you mean.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Maybe dial it back a bit.

The Occam's Razor answer: does ventilation increase heartrate in children? I'm not entirely sure what you mean.

I was about to ask the same thing.

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
Like when a kid is bradycardic due to respiratory failure and that is reversed, reversing the bradycardia?

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
In the case of pediatric/neonatal resuscitation, it is because hypoxemia causes their hearts to slow and eventually stop. I'd suppose it is just a physiological mechanism to reduce oxygen consumption (maybe related to the mammalian diving reflex), but I've yet to hear of a detailed explanation or term for it.

So focus your efforts on determining why hypoxemia causes bradycardia, rather than ventilations increasing HR.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
In the case of pediatric/neonatal resuscitation, it is because hypoxemia causes their hearts to slow and eventually stop. I'd suppose it is just a physiological mechanism to reduce oxygen consumption (maybe related to the mammalian diving reflex), but I've yet to hear of a detailed explanation or term for it.

So focus your efforts on determining why hypoxemia causes bradycardia, rather than ventilations increasing HR.
Hypoxia leading to bradycardia isn't some great physiologic mystery. It's obviously not just present in pediatric patients either.

Oxygen is an essential component of the electron transport chain in aerobic cellular respiration. It is the final reducing component that accepts the electrons that have been used in creation of ATP. If there is no oxygen available (or less than usual), cellular respiration slows as the ion pumps are unable to repolarize the cellular membrane and create a proper action potential. Less oxygen leads to slower action potential regeneration, leading to a prolongation of Phase III, leading to bradycardia.

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
Oxygen is an essential component of the electron transport chain in aerobic cellular respiration. It is the final reducing component that accepts the electrons that have been used in creation of ATP. If there is no oxygen available (or less than usual), cellular respiration slows as the ion pumps are unable to repolarize the cellular membrane and create a proper action potential. Less oxygen leads to slower action potential regeneration, leading to a prolongation of Phase III, leading to bradycardia.

I will understand this... Someday, I WILL understand this. [/dramaticmoment] ;)

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief

Well there's your answer, OP.