Vanbulances (Type II) for ALS?

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
Bingo.

If we can do CCT in a BO-105 or an A-star, 911 can certainly be done in a vanbulance.

This..............

I always chuckle when I hear the whining about how inefficient type II units are.

IFTs can be done in them..........

911 can be done in them...........

CCT can be done in them...........

IABP / ECMO can be done in them.............

NICU / PICU can be done in them............

It's all about resource allocation and crew collaboration. You improvise, adapt, and overcome. It's called critical thinking and would benefit a lot of folks working out there. Just sayin'

hilliardxc

Forum Ride Along
I understand that you can do everything in the back of vans. But is comfortable for pt of any really size NO, or for the provider the same goes.
I work in vans all the time. You start putting vents, monitor, and a couple of drips from your pump and 280lbs pt. You are out of space to work really quick.
Now vans are nice for are simple bls discharge to a SNF, but not nice a lot of ALS stuff in the back.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I understand that you can do everything in the back of vans. But is comfortable for pt of any really size NO, or for the provider the same goes.
I work in vans all the time. You start putting vents, monitor, and a couple of drips from your pump and 280lbs pt. You are out of space to work really quick.
Now vans are nice for are simple bls discharge to a SNF, but not nice a lot of ALS stuff in the back.
I guess I just got used to it. I have done a vented transfer with 5 drips going with a couple minimed3 and an LTV1200. We were going 6 hours each way and I had absolutely no issues. I'd prefer to be able to be strapped in and reach what I need.
I will take a well set up type 2 over a medium duty or a type 1 any day.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
The Yakima to Seattle transfers I did were always in a Type 2. Vent and multiple drips, no issue. I guess it's all what you're used to.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I don't have any issue with Type IIs for transfers. Pump and vent are on cot, monitor goes on bench. Not too hard once they're in.

The space of the big ambulances is nice when you're on scene with a tough patient and have a few people in back. Much easier to work around each other, and if there's a second patient we can actually access both and still have space.

hilliardxc

Forum Ride Along
Maybe it is the vans we use. But with the cot in the truck I can barley sit next to the pt, let alone work on them. And I am a small person. But it can be done, and we do do it. Just not ideal in my mind where I like to be able to reach my pt and supplies with out doing gymnastics to get to my gear and supplies.

OP
OP
S

SunshineCamo

Forum Lieutenant
Maybe it is the vans we use. But with the cot in the truck I can barley sit next to the pt, let alone work on them. And I am a small person. But it can be done, and we do do it. Just not ideal in my mind where I like to be able to reach my pt and supplies with out doing gymnastics to get to my gear and supplies.

It could be the maker your using. My company uses a hodge podge of Chevy's and Ford's from three or four manufacturers. Each truck had a different mix of space. Some of them I couldn't sit in the jump seat behind the stretcher. Literally couldn't could my ankles between the chair and stretcher.