Unscientific Poll: Ipratropium contraindications in your protocol

Is Soy/Peanut allergies a contraindication to Ipratropium in your Protocols?

• Yes

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • No

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • Only with MDI

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief
Unscientific poll:

Is an allergy to soy/peanuts still listed as a contraindication for ipratropium administration in your protocols?

If so, what formulation of ipratropium are you carrying?

(Apparently this is a common contraindication still found in many protocols.)

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Yep, we've got that contra.

I have no idea as to the actual formulation of the med.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Just checked my treatment guidelines again. The only contraindications we have is hypersensitivity . The nut /soy allergy was removed in our last update.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
None of my services I have worked for carry any MDIs at all. No note of a peanut allergy being a contra in any of their protocols.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
None of our protocols adress contraindications for medications (at least that have found).

Our CES manager provided me with a link that listed soy/peanut allergy as a contraindication for Atrovent. Only problem is that the link that was provided was for MDIs which we do not carry.

MrJones

Iconoclast
FYI for those who may be unaware, the contraindication to soy/peanut allergies is/was due to a previous formulation of the propellant in MDIs - not the drug itself. The propellent for atrovent inhalers was changed around 2008 so that is no longer an issue. The current micromedex does still list a peanut allergy contra-indication for combivent inhalers, but the propellent in those inhalers has just recently been changed as well, so I would expect that contra-indication to go away once the old stock is depleted.

OP
OP
Christopher

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief
FYI for those who may be unaware, the contraindication to soy/peanut allergies is/was due to a previous formulation of the propellant in MDIs - not the drug itself. The propellent for atrovent inhalers was changed around 2008 so that is no longer an issue. The current micromedex does still list a peanut allergy contra-indication for combivent inhalers, but the propellent in those inhalers has just recently been changed as well, so I would expect that contra-indication to go away once the old stock is depleted.

Yep. Combivent Respimat should be Ok (or anything "HFA" really). Although some very very recent case reports suggest the international community is still on CFC based Combivent inhalers.

We had another round of questions about this among new folks at our service. Determining via this unscientific poll whether or not it is worth it to write a review article for a trade mag (since nobody reads packaging inserts or the literature it seems).

Last edited by a moderator:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Bold was for clarity not scolding, no need for apologies :)

10-4. I'm pretty sure I responded from my phone last night so the poll wasn't visible. :)

Oh random but I'm shooting you a PM, have a question for ya.

MrJones

Iconoclast
Yep. Combivent Respimat should be Ok (or anything "HFA" really). Although some very very recent case reports suggest the international community is still on CFC based Combivent inhalers.

We had another round of questions about this among new folks at our service. Determining via this unscientific poll whether or not it is worth it to write a review article for a trade mag (since nobody reads packaging inserts or the literature it seems).

Yeah - I've had to do some 'remedial training' with folks on that topic as well - your article idea may well have some merit

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm on my phone so I can't vote, but we have no contraindications listed for it. We carry the solution form for nebs.