Tungsten ring removal

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
Here's something I saw on another forum. Tungsten is gaining popularity as a material for wedding bands, because it is extremely hard, which I suppose represents the strength of the bond of love or something like that.

Anyway, its hardness poses a problem for EMS providers because it is too hard for standard ring cutters to cut. However, tungsten is also brittle, which means it is possible to shatter a tungsten ring with vice grips, as demonstrated in this video:

[YOUTUBE]yuqgI0g-Tc4[/YOUTUBE]

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Hmmm. Good to know.

If they aren't burned or severely swollen yet windex works wonders. My dad owns a jewelry store and we used to use it all the time when I worked there.

Last edited by a moderator:

BandageBrigade

Forum Lieutenant
Actually tungsten carbide is what most are made of. Despite popular belief, they can be cut with a regular ring cutterMuch of this rumor is due to the fact they are much more resistant to scratches and stains compared to other ring materials. The problem comes with them is that they cannot be fixef arr being cut, nor can they be resized due to the materials.

Cohn

Forum Lieutenant
That's pretty cool!

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Finally a use for the vice grips that the state makes every ambulance carry! Now to find a use for that rubber mallet...

Anjel

Forum Angel
Finally a use for the vice grips that the state makes every ambulance carry! Now to find a use for that rubber mallet...

Oh I could think of many reasons to use a mallet....

emtpche

Forum Crew Member
Very good to know as I have a similar ring. And ohh so many things to use a mallet for.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Oh I could think of many reasons to use a mallet....

Anything that would not later see my name mentioned in an incident report?

Anjel

Forum Angel

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
You guys are required to have vice grips AND a mallet? Yeesh.

Every ambulance in the commonwealth of Massachusetts is required to have, at minimum, the following equipment for "gaining access.":rofl:

One (1) screwdriver, minimum 8” regular blade
One (1) hacksaw with six (6) wire (carbide) blades
One (1) pair of pliers, 10" vice grip
One (1) short handled sledge hammer, minimum 3 pounds
One (1) rope, synthetic, minimum 50 feet by 1/2 inch diameter or
functional equivalent
Two (2) pairs of gloves (leather gauntlets)
Two (2) pairs of goggles (clear eye protective)

Our short handled sledge hammer is a rubber mallet. There is a also a regular ball-peen hammer and crowbar (above and beyond!). All that stuff is stored under the tech seat and makes a terrible racket when a pothole is hit. It is also yet to be used for a useful purpose. The ring cutter has also never been used.

emtpche

Forum Crew Member
Other than taking space and gathering dust whens the last time you used any of it?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Other than taking space and gathering dust whens the last time you used any of it?

Not once not never. While I suspect I could use those tools to gain access to a residence or car, I think I'd just rather have fire or the police come. Something about the idea of sawing through a B pillar with merely a hacksaw when there's people with hydraulic tools and recip saws nearby.

Sent from my out of area communications device.