Trying to make a schedule...Help please?

omak42

Forum Crew Member
I work for a company that does some very interestind scheduling. Right now we have a 24 hour crew on, a day crew, and two call on crews. We currently have 5 shifts with the addition of a sixth coming on soon. Anyone have an idea of how to make this work while keeping everyones hours?? Right now the 24 hour crews obviously get 48 hours every week with a slightly lower pay rate and the day crews get 40 hours every week with a slightly higher pay rate.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Depending on how many employees you have, consider using a website like EMS Manager (http://www.aladtec.com/). Otherwise, you should really ditch the shift pay differential. Consider making everyone work a 24 a week, and two 8s. How long are your day shifts? How long are the call shifts? What I saw was only four shifts, what's the fifth, and what would the sixth be?

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
Th/F/S/Su/M/T on, 8 off.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
A place I used to work had a 24/48 for the slower units, and a 12 hour shift where you work 3 on, 2 off, 2 on, three off.

Another employer in NYC, where any shifts over 16 hours were illegal, had 8's, 12's, and 16's. There were also "enhancement units" which were 5 hour buses that were given out as OT; they ran from 1300 to 1800, peak hours. You can work two 16's and an 8, two 12's two 8's, or whatever. Your employer could create tours based on call volume, and bid them out on a seniority basis. If you like 24's pick them up. If you like day work, grab a 16 and two daytime 12's. If you like working only nights, pick up ovenight 12's and 8's. Scheduling doesn't have to be platoon based.

Why don't you put a few different schedule options to a vote? Would management allow that?