Trouble with class

Mloper

Forum Probie
I am currently enrolled in a 6 week summer EMT class but I am really having a tough time with the instructor and the class. I stayed up till two in the morning (8 hours studying) reading the Anatomy and Physiology chapter last night. We were told we would have a quiz on the chapter the following day.
I was really trying to understand the whole chapter and try to grasp it. I finally felt I had a good handle with it understanding the way cells work, how glucose is used inside our bodies, the creation of acid in our bodies due to anaerobic metabolism and many other items in the chapter.
Come quiz time I absolutely screwed the pooch. I received a 50% on the 20 question quiz.

The test was on some of the easiest parts of the chapter. He did not ask a single difficult question.
Some of his questions were what does Hypo mean (Low/ Below normal) or what does osteo mean (Bone)

I know these answers but I still managed to get them wrong. This instructor is not teaching us anything he is just telling us his stories of calls he has been on throughout his career. I don't doubt his knowledge of EMS nor do I think he does a bad job in the field.

This is my question. Out of this class should I not worry about the small stuff and focus on the large points of chapters? He is not telling us what we will be tested on he just says which chapters.

Help me out guys this is something that I really want to do as a career and I have been really looking forward to this class but right now all my energy for it kinda went out the window after failing miserably. I have never done this bad on something I have worked so hard on
I appreciate your help
MLoper

onecrazykid108

Forum Probie
Hang in there buddy, i'm going through a summer EMT class now too. My problem is similar, but different. My teacher is monotone and speaks in whispers. haha Teachers never tell us what to study. Anatomy is a broad subject and is hard, just keep studying as hard as you are now and you will make it through.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Sounds like you are overloading yourself! Chill, relax!! One test isn't going to kill you, and study little bits at a time, not 8 hours straight, it sounds like you are over studying.

Also, your instructor should be INSTRUCTING, not trying to wow you with war stories. Maybe you need another program!

And if you know the answers and are still getting them wrong, maybe you need to slow down on your test taking, reread questions and go over your answers. They sound like silly mistakes.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
First, welcome to EMTLife!

I understand your frustration, I think we've all been there at some point. Often times when students do poorly they're quick to blame their instructor. As you pointed out, the instructor didn't exactly ask the most challenging questions, and even you agree that you should have known those. As a teacher it drives me crazy when a student asks if the material will be on the test. If you know you're having a test on a chapter, then it is your job to understand that chapter.

My suggestions for studying:

1. Figure out what you're being tested on and get out that material.
2. Read that section of the book once, highlighting vocabulary terms, main ideas, etc.
3. Read that section of the textbook again, really trying to take what you're reading and create a more complete picture. Synthesize the information. Take what you're learning and apply it to what you already know. Put it in your own terms so you understand it.
4. Create 3x5" flash cards with the vocabulary from the chapter. Don't just make the flash cards, study them until you master them!
5. Complete any end-of-chapter reviews, or if you have a workbook answer those questions.
6. If you really have time, go back through the section and create an outline of the entire section. You'd be amazed at how much this will help you.
7. Study the notes you have in class

As far as test-taking, I always tell my students that one F isn't going to kill you, but a number of failing test grades shows a failure to prepare. You can't expect to be successful if you don't prepare. Lastly, these are great questions to ask your instructor. See what your instructor suggests.

Good luck, and don't give up!

Knightlite

Forum Probie
It sounds like you are too stressed out about this.

1) Relax. Stress is like shock. If you don't take care of it, it will just get worse.

2) Forget about the instructor. If you are simply going to blame him for you not understanding the information, then you have already decided to fail. You need to be self-starting and take over the situation yourself. Ask someone in class who you are friendly with if they can explain material to you that you don't understand. Most people are very willing to help. In addition, explaining something to someone else reinforces their own knowledge and helps them as well. Get rid of the hopeless attitude and adopt a "Hey, I can do this stuff" kind of attitude.

3) Staying up until 2:00 AM is not going to make you a better student. Get some sleep. It is hard to learn anything when you are not even awake.

4) When I was taking my EMT, I found one of the best ways to get the information out of the book and into my head was to write my own test questions. Create your own tests, and you will be surprised how much sticks with you. The act of writing (or typing) the information down helps you learn it. Really... it does work.

5) When you are going to be quizzed on a chapter, don't try to second guess what the instructor will test you on. Assume that you need to know everything. This is not 5th grade Geography when you used to ask, what would be on the test. You need to know everything that is mentioned in class, except for your instructors boring war stories.

6) Don't cram just before a quiz. That is counter productive. It increases stress and may contribute to a lower grade. Make sure you quit studying at least one hour before taking a test. Collect your thoughts and stop worrying. If you cram, chances are the last thing you look at in your book will be something you don't know. That will indeed increase stress. Stress=Bad Grade.

Loosen up. Relax. Become proactive and have faith in yourself. You can do this. You're not being asked to build the Space Shuttle. Don't give up, and let down all the future patients you will be helping. Good Luck! :)

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Use SEARCH. Then use Live Chat, if anybody ever logs on again, to unwind.

The class is a commodity you are paying for. If you can't get what you paid for (after talking with the teacher) do not wait, go ask for a refund.

feldy

Forum Captain
I took a 6 week EMT course last summer so I can relate a bit but i did not find myself nearly as stressed out.

First relax, take a deep breath. You can get through this.

Second, things may seem different out of the class but you have to pass the class in order to get in the field so i would focus on the smaller parts as well.

I found reading the chapter before (and sometimes after) class helps to get a better understanding. That way when you hear something new from youre instructor, you are already familiar with it even if you have no idea what/why/how.

Im not sure how youre instructor is teaching but mine tought the A&P part by breaking it up with each relavant chapter. (for cardiac we learned about the heart, for splinting we learned about bones and muscles). That way you have some perspective of the anatomy and phisology relating to the area of interest instead of having to take it all in at once then go fishing in your brain later on.

Write and rewrite youre Pt. Assessments and practical skills sheets. The more you know thoses the better understanding you will have of the body.

Last i would suggest finding a few people who youve become close with in the class to study with during your breaks and outside of class if necessary. Ask them how they are retaining the info and if they could help you. Then you can practice on each other with the different skill stations and you will feel a lot more comfortable working on someone you know (for testing purposes only) obviously you will not know your pts but the more comfortable you get doing something, the less nerves play a role. Dont let this scare you but nerves play a huge role in the practical tests and the best way to overcome that is practice. I took the basic practical twice, once in MA and once for the NREMT and i was still nervous taking the test but passed b/c i knew i had done the skills dozens of times and i believed i knew the material and i did.

Anything else we can help with let us know...weve all been there at some point. Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
I stayed up till two in the morning (8 hours studying) reading the Anatomy and Physiology chapter last night.

This sounds like a major part of your problem. Don't sacrifice an adequate night's sleep to study. 90% of the time it's better to study a few hours less and come in well-rested and on your game, than come in with a couple more hours of studying (which is probably irrelevant because you probably didn't absorb any of the information) and sleep-deprived.

The best way to integrate complex, new information is to take it a small chunk at a time. YOU ARE NOT LEARNING ANYTHING BY READING OVER YOUR A&P CHAPTER FOR 8 HOURS STRAIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT. I can almost guarantee it.

Read for a half hour and then go spend at least that much time doing something else. Read little bits while you're on the bus or on the potty. Break it up or you'll just mindlessly "read" but not truly comprehend or retain anything.

As far as the tests... it sounds like you're fairly early on in the program. It may take a few to catch on to your instructor's style. However, this would be the time to approach them about your concerns. Not later when you're freaking out because you aren't going to pass.

Last edited by a moderator:

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Another thing that has helped me (and made my classmates think I'm a genius) in every class I have ever taken is to always stay at least one chapter ahead of the class.

Not only does it keep you ahead, but you don't feel as stressed out about what lies ahead. Also great to come to class and hear the instructor discuss what you've read. There's a reason I've seen most of them assign the relevant readings prior to their lecture on it, not after. Follow suit.

1badassEMT-I

Forum Lieutenant
Another thing that has helped me (and made my classmates think I'm a genius) in every class I have ever taken is to always stay at least one chapter ahead of the class.

Not only does it keep you ahead, but you don't feel as stressed out about what lies ahead. Also great to come to class and hear the instructor discuss what you've read. There's a reason I've seen most of them assign the relevant readings prior to their lecture on it, not after. Follow suit.

Good advise....

OP
OP
M

Mloper

Forum Probie
Thank You

Everyone thank you so much for all your input and advice it has really helped me out a lot. First test I had I received a 73, Second test was an 83 and finally today we just took the midterm and I received an 85 (class average was 80) I am starting to get a hang of it. The past few weeks I have really been understanding the material a lot better. I was never a very studious person but this is something I really want accomplish. I am more motivated then ever. I really appreciate all the advice

Thank You

Ducati_Fan

Forum Ride Along
I agree with what everyone else is saying. Just remeber to not stress out and that 3x5 cards and highlighters are your best friends. Congrats on your mid-term!

JPINFV

Gadfly
First off, always take study tips with a little grain of salt. What works for one person may or may not work for someone else. For example, I'm a night person, so a lot of times I'll start studying at 9, 10, or 11 at night. Now, granted, I don't have to be up earlier for class work (and can, to be honest, thankfully skip attendance most lectures. Dirty little medical school secret, most medical students don't go to lecture for a variety of reasons), so your millage may vary.

Personally, I can learn pretty well through reading through text and powerpoints and the method that I use is what I call the "three steps forward, one step back" method. As I'm going through the material, I take the time to try to relate what I'm reading now with what was presented earlier. So in Anatomy, for example, if I'm working on learning the information about the ear and I read that the maxillary division of the trigeminal nerve (V 3) innervates the anterior and superior walls of the external acoustic meatus, can I name the hole that V3 leaves the skull through (foramen ovale) and the major branches (buccal, lingual, auriculotemporal, and inferior alveolar). This helps review the information you've already gone over and connects it with the new information. It also is a good quick test on what you currently know and what you need to go over again.

Similarly, when going over things the first time, don't force it. Take your time and if you need to take a break, take the break. It takes time to consolidate new information just like it takes time to digest food. You can't eat three meals worth of food in the morning and then be done for the rest of the day.

medic417

The Truth Provider
The test was on some of the easiest parts of the chapter. He did not ask a single difficult question.
Some of his questions were what does Hypo mean (Low/ Below normal) or what does osteo mean (Bone)

And for the emt basic that is what they need to understand. So if you failed the "easy" stuff sounds like you you did not really understand the chapter.

This is my question. Out of this class should I not worry about the small stuff and focus on the large points of chapters? He is not telling us what we will be tested on he just says which chapters.

You should read, study and understand the entire chapters. That is your responsibility, not the instructors. I applaud the instructor for not telling you what is on the test. I hate when instructors say you will see this again or some other indication that it will be on the test. Instructors should give some information to help clarify points and to show how they apply in the field, thus the stories from the field. Any class you take that does not require more than listening to the instructor to pass is a bad class.

G37Rider92649

Forum Probie
First off, always take study tips with a little grain of salt. What works for one person may or may not work for someone else. For example, I'm a night person, so a lot of times I'll start studying at 9, 10, or 11 at night. Now, granted, I don't have to be up earlier for class work (and can, to be honest, thankfully skip attendance most lectures. Dirty little medical school secret, most medical students don't go to lecture for a variety of reasons), so your millage may vary.

Personally, I can learn pretty well through reading through text and powerpoints and the method that I use is what I call the "three steps forward, one step back" method. As I'm going through the material, I take the time to try to relate what I'm reading now with what was presented earlier. So in Anatomy, for example, if I'm working on learning the information about the ear and I read that the maxillary division of the trigeminal nerve (V 3) innervates the anterior and superior walls of the external acoustic meatus, can I name the hole that V3 leaves the skull through (foramen ovale) and the major branches (buccal, lingual, auriculotemporal, and inferior alveolar). This helps review the information you've already gone over and connects it with the new information. It also is a good quick test on what you currently know and what you need to go over again.

Similarly, when going over things the first time, don't force it. Take your time and if you need to take a break, take the break. It takes time to consolidate new information just like it takes time to digest food. You can't eat three meals worth of food in the morning and then be done for the rest of the day.

Great Advice!!