Trooper vs. Paramedic

Status
Not open for further replies.

trevor1189

Forum Captain
I would really like to know the whole story here. As what this appears to be is insane.

If it were me, "County this Ambulance X, we are en route to X ER, we are being signaled to yield to a police vehicle, please contact the unit and let them know we are en route with a patient. We will not be yielding."

Cop is still signaling pullover, "County this is ambulance X we are now en route to X ER lights and sirens, we will not be delaying patient care."

Frankly I would document the hell out of the whole thing and file a complaint against OHP if this was over a traffic issue.

An ambulance transporting a patient non lights and sirens is still an emergency vehicle. In PA it is discouraged to use L&S en route to the hospital give them the benefit of the doubt. If it is urgent the police can contact the ambulance by radio without forcing them to pull over and stop.

Last edited by a moderator:

2easy4u

Forum Crew Member
This is where the cowboy rides away.

I am sure that I haven't seen all the details on this incident so I can;t really make a for certain comment either way.
If it were me, after the officer informed me of my arrest. I would have advised the officer that since he was the LEO, he now has the responsibility of providing patient care to this patient. I would give a patient report to him and go sit in the cruiser and await my transport to jail.

Neither side handled this as a professional should have. But I think when any of us start thinking we are above the law,we are wrong.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
I would really like to know the whole story here. As what this appears to be is insane.

If it were me, "County this Ambulance X, we are en route to X ER, we are being signaled to yield to a police vehicle, please contact the unit and let them know we are en route with a patient. We will not be yielding."

Cop is still signaling pullover, "County this is ambulance X we are now en route to X ER lights and sirens, we will not be delaying patient care."

Frankly I would document the hell out of the whole thing and file a complaint against OHP if this was over a traffic issue.

An ambulance transporting a patient non lights and sirens is still an emergency vehicle. In PA it is discouraged to use L&S en route to the hospital give them the benefit of the doubt. If it is urgent the police can contact the ambulance by radio without forcing them to pull over and stop.

What if the PD's emergency is bigger than your non-emergent transport? Are you going to force them to pass your slower moving vehicle unsafely because you've go a "mine is bigger than yours attitude"? (...referring to the patch of course)

There may be another patient or potential patient involved in their emergency also.

While this situation could have been handled differently, the two on the ambulance should also own up to the fact they could have done things differently also. Geez, all the OHP wanted to do was get around the ambulance. How many times do EMS providers complain about vehicles not getting out of their way? How many times have EMS providers said those that fail to yeild should be thrown in jail? The OHP could have been speeding to help another ambulance crew in trouble.

Last edited by a moderator:

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
I have read the statements by both EMTs and seen the video. The whole story isn't there but we don't need the whole story- a cop interfered with an EMT and ambulance operations while in the treatment of a patient. This is a felony. The cop needs to be fired and brought up on charges. How can we possibly have such people patrolling our streets?

medic417

The Truth Provider
I have read the statements by both EMTs and seen the video. The whole story isn't there but we don't need the whole story- a cop interfered with an EMT and ambulance operations while in the treatment of a patient. This is a felony. The cop needs to be fired and brought up on charges. How can we possibly have such people patrolling our streets?

Can you show me the law that shows this is a felony?

2easy4u

Forum Crew Member
This is where the cowboy rides away.

It certainly looks like there was interference with patient care but resisting a LEO is also wrong. Usually when the medic dumps the patient on the LEO attitudes change. Especially if the patient is bloody or has puked all over everything. The LEO becomes keenly aware that he is out of his environment and backs off.
I, for the life of me cannot understand why the squad was pulled over. The LEO had to know that if time was crucial for him or the patient being transported his actions were not helping. If there was no danger to the public, all of it could have been sorted out after everyone was finished with their call.
:rolleyes:

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief

Can you show me a law saying it is not? Are you seriously challenging the idea that it is not a felony to interfere with emergency medical personnel?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Can you show me a law saying it is not?

Err... that's a bit bass ackwards.

Interfering with EMS personnel can not be more illegal than interfering with police, which is only a misdemeanor.

And even than, police are exempt from many laws when in the act of carrying out their duties (buying illicit drugs anyone?)

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief

Just to entertain this idea I did the most basic of google searches
establishes that a person unlawfully interfering with an EMT rendering assistance to a sick or injured person could be charged with a Class E felony.
http://www.leg.state.nv.us/71st/Minutes/Assembly/JUD/Final/689.html

110.040.080 Interfering with Emergency Medical Services Section members prohibited.

It shall be unlawful for any person to interfere in any way with the members of the Fire Department in the performance of their duties. (A 25-92 §1; A 26-99 §2)

And for good old Oaklahoma:

Statutory Authority: 21 O.S. 2001, § 650.4. OUJI-CR 4-20

ASSAULT AND BATTERY UPON

EMERGENCY MEDICAL CARE PROVIDER - ELEMENTS

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
re

Assembly Bill 333: Prohibits person from interfering with certain emergency medical attendants while rendering assistance. (BDR 15-1061)

Nevada has it on the books. It is a felony to interfere with certain medical personnel while providing care. I know california does also. looking it up also

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
If you listen carefully, you can hear the sound of a flush. Let's see a Native American Ambulance, staffed with Black Paramedic and family and white troopers?

I too do not believe this is over yet.

I sincerely hope this does not become about race, when that is not what it's about.

Was the ambulance coding at the time the LEO came behind them?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I sincerely hope this does not become about race, when that is not what it's about.

Anytime it's a white cop and a non-white person, it's ALWAYS about race. Even if the cop didn't know the person in the back of the ambulance was black, and the driver was white. He just sensed it!

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Anytime it's a white cop and a non-white person, it's ALWAYS about race. Even if the cop didn't know the person in the back of the ambulance was black, and the driver was white. He just sensed it!

Unfortunately that seems to be what happens in situations like this.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Unfortunately that seems to be what happens in situations like this.

It's always race, the cop abusing his power, the cop making up for being made fun of in school, or the cop just wanting to be an a-hole.

It's never the suspects fault.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
It's always race, the cop abusing his power, the cop making up for being made fun of in school, or the cop just wanting to be an a-hole.

It's never the suspects fault.

In this case that is highly likely to be deadon.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
In this case that is highly likely to be deadon.

Until you can prove that the officers did what they did for any other reason than their job, I suggest not thinking otherwise.

Innocent until proven guilty. That's what people always yell in these threads, right?

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
Until you can prove that the officers did what they did for any other reason than their job, I suggest not thinking otherwise.

Innocent until proven guilty. That's what people always yell in these threads, right?
the troopers are innocent till they are proven guilty. Just as the EMTs are innocent till proven guilty.

emt_angel25

Forum Lieutenant
Was the ambulance running with lights and sirens, lights only or no lights. in my service for non critical calls we run without lights and sirens. If the ambulance did the same running without lights and sirens then they are required to yield to another emergency vehicle running with lights and sirens.

shouldnt matter even if they were running lights and sirens they still need to yeild to the intersection. you cant be guarenteed that other traffic will stop. lights and sirens aside the officer obviously saw something or he wouldnt have stopped the ambulance. if they were running code to the hospital why did the ambulance driver stop???

Status
Not open for further replies.