Trauma assessment critique

RedAirplane

Forum Asst. Chief
The EMT book now at least acknowledges selective Cspine, O2 titration, and supine vs trendelenberg, but instructors (who are full time 911 paramedics) Can be very rooted in those things.

Now, NREMT isn't even looking for 15 L except in obvious shock or pt just came out of a smoky building.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
The EMT book now at least acknowledges selective Cspine, O2 titration, and supine vs trendelenberg, but instructors (who are full time 911 paramedics) Can be very rooted in those things.

Now, NREMT isn't even looking for 15 L except in obvious shock or pt just came out of a smoky building.
One of the fail points for the NREMT trauma assessment test is still "failure to ultimately voice or provide high flow oxygen".

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
One of the fail points for the NREMT trauma assessment test is still "failure to ultimately voice or provide high flow oxygen".

This, plus anything lower than 15 LPM with NRB is considered a critical failure.

RedAirplane

Forum Asst. Chief

I meant on the written test.

Sure, for the scenario, but in the scenario the patient is always pale, cool, and wet, has just had his arm cut off and is littered with a bunch of injuries plus possibly a major medical condition just for good measure. Such a clearly shocky patient should get 15L anyway?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I meant on the written test.

Sure, for the scenario, but in the scenario the patient is always pale, cool, and wet, has just had his arm cut off and is littered with a bunch of injuries plus possibly a major medical condition just for good measure. Such a clearly shocky patient should get 15L anyway?
The proctors are able to change the patient condition and injuries. So the patient may not always be pale, cool, and profuse for skin signs.

RedAirplane

Forum Asst. Chief
The proctors are able to change the patient condition and injuries. So the patient may not always be pale, cool, and profuse for skin signs.

Fair enough. I've never had a practical exam without either cyanosis or pale skin and profuse diaphoresis, but I guess YMMV.