Transporting AAA pt?

Voodoo1

Forum Crew Member
Just for my own reference, but what is the best position to transport a AAA pt?

OP
OP
Voodoo1

Voodoo1

Forum Crew Member
Sorry, should have been more specific. To the ER.

LondonMedic

Forum Captain
Sorry, should have been more specific. To the ER.
With a presumed diagnosis of ruptured AAA?

If they're conscious I'd be tempted to say leave them in whatever position they find comfortable.

If they're not, then whatever position best allows you to control their airway.

Arguably Fowler's position but I don't think that there's going to be much in the way of evidence.

OP
OP
Voodoo1

Voodoo1

Forum Crew Member

If they're conscious I'd be tempted to say leave them in whatever position they find comfortable.

Arguably Fowler's position but I don't think that there's going to be much in the way of evidence.

That's what I had thought. I had it as a scenario and when I said I was going to place the pt in a semi fowler's, the examiner looked at me like I had two heads. Thank you.

Katy

Forum Lieutenant

This, there isn't anything you can do for AAA pre-hospital besides get them to the hospital as quickly as possible.

OP
OP
Voodoo1

Voodoo1

Forum Crew Member
This, there isn't anything you can do for AAA pre-hospital besides get them to the hospital as quickly as possible.

Yeah, I know. It was just the look on the examiners face, it kinda threw me off. I was wondering if I had done something wrong or if there was a better position to transport the pt.

Katy

Forum Lieutenant
Yeah, I know. It was just the look on the examiners face, it kinda threw me off. I was wondering if I had done something wrong or if there was a better position to transport the pt.
I wouldn't worry too much about it, but I wouldn't put the patient in any certain position that wasn't comfortable for them. Maybe fowlers will be comfortable, maybe not.

ArcticKat

Forum Captain
If signs of shock are present, trendelenberg.

If no signs of shock, position of comfort, likely semi fowlers with the knees elevated for comfort.

Katy

Forum Lieutenant
I believed it was used until the evidence about respiratory, cerebral and occular risks became more widely received.
Yeah, I remember reading something about that on the interenet. I still think it is taught at the Red Cross in my area though, I'll have to check that out.

Katy

Forum Lieutenant
What was the BP during your scenario? Maybe that had something to do with it?
If the patient's blood pressure was elevated in a position that was comfortable, would you change there position just to lower the blood pressure and cause more pain which could also make the blood pressure rise?

OP
OP
Voodoo1

Voodoo1

Forum Crew Member
If signs of shock are present, trendelenberg.

If no signs of shock, position of comfort, likely semi fowlers with the knees elevated for comfort.

I thought that Trendelenberg is contraindicated for suspected AAA. If I'm wrong about that could you explain why?

Katy

Forum Lieutenant
I thought that Trendelenberg is contraindicated for suspected AAA. If I'm wrong about that could you explain why?
Your probably right, I was going off speculation.

Anjel

Forum Angel
I use trendelenburg.

Especially for hypotension. It definitely works. And when I did use it. It drastically improved the BP.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Oh. ANd I would most likely transport in position of comfort if conscious. I don't want to me moving them around and them being uncomfortable.

OP
OP
Voodoo1

Voodoo1

Forum Crew Member
I use trendelenburg.

Especially for hypotension. It definitely works. And when I did use it. It drastically improved the BP.

For a AAA pt with no pulse to the lower extremities? Wouldn't that just compound the aneurysm?