Transferring Counties

KyleG

Forum Crew Member
Hey so I took my EMT-B Class in San Diego county, but i'm looking to transfer to Riverside and/or OC & LA if necessary. Now I know paramedics have to take a local accreditation test but what about EMT's? If not what all is Involved in working in another county. I am NREMT registered.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Are you licensed as an EMT in California (which are processed by the counties)? If so, both LA and OC require local accreditation courses. As such, complete the local accreditation and you should be good to go.

OP
OP
KyleG

KyleG

Forum Crew Member
Are you licensed as an EMT in California (which are processed by the counties)? If so, both LA and OC require local accreditation courses. As such, complete the local accreditation and you should be good to go.

Well I have a State card, so I just need to find the classes. Ok Sounds good man thanks.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
It varies per county, but usually the state card is sufficient by itself. An example is Alameda County requires only the state card to work there, and if you wanted to work in Contra Costa County or Solano County, you could, however, if you wanted to work in Santa Clara County, they require ICS-100, ICS-200, NIMS-700, IS-3, AWR-160, IS-204, SEMS, county accreditation (wear a System ID Badge), and within three months of hire you need to attend a county orientation. Most companies require ICS-100, ICS-200, and NIMS-700 already, but in Santa Clara County, it's required by the county, not just the companies.

Your best bet is to look it up online, it's usually listed (e.g. in Santa Clara County, it's under Policy 214), ask the county EMS agency, or look up what companies in that county require you to have to work there. Sometimes stuff isn't required or can't be done until after hire (e.g. county orientation and System ID badge/accreditation couldn't be done until after I got hired at my current company).

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
For Riverside county all you need is the California state card. Most companies here also require IS 100, 200, 700, and 800.

OP
OP
KyleG

KyleG

Forum Crew Member
just for everyones information SD to riverside I had to do nothing riverside only needs the state card.

OP
OP
KyleG

KyleG

Forum Crew Member
For Riverside county all you need is the California state card. Most companies here also require IS 100, 200, 700, and 800.

you were correct