traction

GAmedik34

Forum Probie
high speed mvc, driver unrepsonsive, rightward gaze. upon extrication (after dash was removed off his waist) pt responds by screaming and grabbed towards left leg, and once again goes unresponsive. obvious femur fracture, possible l hip fracture, possible dislocated knee, distal pulses intact, shortened and rotated. doctor ask me if they still teach traction..... with all this going on who else would have placed pt in traction?

yes limb was stabilized

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Yes traction and traction splints are still taught and used.

As for my area traction would not have been used. For us it has to be a closed mid-shaft femur fracture with no hip/knee/ankle involvement and the patient has to be stable.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
I've always been taught to use traction splints only in the case of isolated mid-shaft closed femur fractures. This certainly sounds like it was a far cry from an isolated injury.

Summit

Critical Crazy
Yes traction and traction splints are still taught and used.

As for my area traction would not have been used. For us it has to be a closed mid-shaft femur fracture with no hip/knee/ankle involvement and the patient has to be stable.

This

hogdweeb

Forum Crew Member
I've always been taught to use traction splints only in the case of isolated mid-shaft closed femur fractures. This certainly sounds like it was a far cry from an isolated injury.
+1

the dislocated knee, and hip would prevent me anyway..dont want to dislocate them more, or take a chance on further agitation.

EMT B

Forum Captain
in this case, my protocol would not have said to traction. but what if med control tells me to traction?

Epi-do

I see dead people
in this case, my protocol would not have said to traction. but what if med control tells me to traction?

Here, you would repeat the order back and ask if it was correct a total of 3 times. If you are still told to do it, do what is best for the patient (I.e. not using traction) and document the crap put of it.

Of course, that is assuming you are online with med control. If it is in the ED after the fact, smile and acknowledge that you have heard what he said. Next time around, do the right thing and again document why you did it.

PaddyWagon

Forum Crew Member

Ditto here. We were taught to splint in place for support as long as distal pulse is there, else try small adjustments to restore pulse and high tail it to trauma. Or so says class learning

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Suspected or known hip involvement is a contraindication for traction if I'm not mistaken. Add the knee in and it's not even a question.

Like others have said, traction splints are for isolated mid shaft femur fractures.

Your patient needed a trauma surgeon, their team and an operating room, not an EMS crew ****ing around with a traction splint on scene.

Last edited by a moderator:

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member

Repeat the order back for confirmation ......then tell the md you can only place one in an isolated midshaft fx.

wanderingmedic

RN, Paramedic
Repeat the order back for confirmation ......then tell the md you can only place one in an isolated midshaft fx.

that...but....

some of it might depend on your relationship with the med control docs. if you interact with them regularly and know them.....i might strongly consider following their orders and then talking with them in person after i drop off the patient.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
that...but....

some of it might depend on your relationship with the med control docs. if you interact with them regularly and know them.....i might strongly consider following their orders and then talking with them in person after i drop off the patient.

doc can ask or order me to do anything under the sun..... doesnt mean I am going to do it.....putting a traction splint on this pt can cause more damage.

Only reason I can think of for an MD to order this would be based on a poor report where the doc doesnt realize there are hip/pelvic and or other leg/knee/ankle injuries.

OP
OP
G

GAmedik34

Forum Probie
doc asked while we were rolling into trauma bay why I didn't apply traction. after I saw x rays sure glad I didn't. +1 to trauma surgeon didn't take long before he was heading to OR