Touching toes or no job?

medic417

The Truth Provider
I think you mean an involuntary vacation. Ban is such a harsh word :p

Glad you corrected him before I had to send him on that involuntary vacation. :rofl:

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
For the past 15 years law enforcement has been using the Cooper Institute Standards for phyiscal fitness as a way testing candidates. If you look it up, you will see they have a chart of standards based on gender and age.
So much for that being an acurate and appropriate test.

However, I read somewhere that with the economy and more applicants and less funding, LEO, Fire and EMS will soon all use the Cooper Standard both when hiring, training, and yearly qualifying.
I doubt it. There's to much disparity in what departments of all types like to look for in their applicants, and to many that have been sued (often successfully) for discrimination in their physical agility tests for everyone to get together under the same standard. Just my opinion though.
IA common requirement in EMS is to be able to lift 125# by yourself, and 250# with assistance as an entrance requirement. You're simply not physically capable of working in the field if you need frequent lift assists for patients in the 200#-250# range. Females and males alike can be trained to this minimum standard. It's just that many choose not to do the requisite strength training, and rely on others to do the lifting for them.
But why would you waste time exercising and training when it's so much easier to sit on your rear and whine about how you don't get paid enough to go to the gym, or don't have enough time, or don't know what to do, and how it just isn't fair and that it's not your fault that you are 40lbs overweight and can't carry a monitor up 6 flights of stairs without a break? You know...you could insert examples for almost anything...like education...public perception...wages...our future as a profession there and the result would be the same.
If I could establish a physical test, it would involve the Deadlift, a Farmer's Carry, the Front Squat, Prone Plank, and some sort of horizontal row.
That's just not nice...