Tomorrow shall be a fun day..

Hockey

Quackers
Working for the first time this week (don't get me going about why...) at 8am on one of our "Transfer" cars. We do all of the dialysis, and other appointments, and also we still take emergency calls when the stations are out. Not bad we get a couple bucks a hour extra for it and I'm desperate for hours right now.

Mind you, its currently -11°F. WCF is -21. Supposed to be worse in the AM when I arrive at work. I was jumping all over the opportunity to work until my other half reminded me about how cold its going to be. Since I just got out of dispatch COMPLETELY not too long ago, I'm still waiting for my first long sleeve shirt.

I don't have a problem dressing in layers. Just knowing in the back of my head when I get in the back with the patient and that heat is on high, I'll be sweating like a 13 year old boy in the girls locker room.

For our northern members, just wondering, how do you stay "warm" in this weather? I've slightly looked into UnderArmour winter gear, but I can't get myself to spend $80+ on a shirt.

I'll just stay under the radar with a long sleeve turtle neck on underneath.

I just got my hair cut very very very short. Stupid move 2 days before the coldest time of the season. But needed it. I have a baseball cap, but that can get in the way. We can't wear knit caps unless they are "approved"; and the only ones that are "approved" are being ordered still. Maybe I can wear my bacalava and my orange hunting stocking cap? Who knows...

But still, its going to bitterly suck. Anyone else working in the cold lately?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
Our cold is not like your cold, but, during our recent really cold snap, I wore....
closest to body out:
Long Sleeve UnderArmour type shirt
UnderArmour type pants
Uniform pants
turtle neck
t-shirt
uniform shirt
"approved" sweatshirt

That was just in the rig. On scene, if we were outside, I'd add the issued wintercoat, and sometimes the nomex brush coat we're supposed to wear. FYI, our uniform shirts are short sleeve, unless we order long sleeve. And, generally they won't order long sleeve unless we've got sleeves....

It was not too warm in the back, the jackets came off, and sometimes the sweatshirt too.

Last edited by a moderator:

MJD1521

Forum Probie
It doesn't get that cold out here in New Jersey; but, UA has always been a great provider with regards to clothes that keep you extremely warm in frigid weather. It is quite amazing, I would invest in some UA clothing and just a top or two over it depending on the weather conditions.

rchristi

Forum Crew Member
Here in MN it is twenty below at Ten in the morning. Underarmor is good stuff, but there are pleny of other wicking type undergarments that will keep you warm without making you too sweaty. Check out your local Target or Walmart. The only caution I would add is that polypro is hard to keep odor free. Good luck with your winter weather.

Second

Forum Lieutenant
I like Hot Hands grant you I live in the south and there mainly used by hunters but there great you can stick them in your pockets in your boots and give off about 18 hrs of heat air activated. I love em

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I hate polypropylenes, they pill like crazy, shrivel up to an unrecognizable mass in the dryer and hold sweat smells forever!

I gotta tell ya though, pay the price for the $80 shirt and you will have it forever and never regret the purchase. Smartwool is great, and the microfleeces are good too if you can guarantee they won't get wet, they hold an amazing amount of water.

RESQ_5_1

Forum Lieutenant
At this moment, since it has warmed up (it's -17C with a W/C of around -25C) I am wearing a microfleece long sleeve shirt, A pair of thin cotton lounge pants, My jumpsuit style short-sleeve uniform, and cotton socks. My boots are Thisulate so my feet don't freeze (Bates 8" Side-zip). If I go outside, I wear my high-vis yellow jacket liner (we have 3-in-1's that are made from recycled water bottles or something). No hat or touque (it's not that cold). And, I think I've worn my gloves two or three times so far this winter. If it drops down to -37C like it was a couple of weeks ago, I will wear my fleece jacket under my liner with a short-sleeve shirt so I don't get overheated in the back of the rig. Maaaaaayyyybe I'll wear my touque if the wind picks up.

BTW, I grew up where Sapphyre currently works.

rogersam5

Forum Crew Member
Depending on the day, I wear a Underarmor Coldgear shirt that Isn't the one I have been using for Track, and my long sleave uniform T-Shirt (we just got SS Class Bs yesterday... should be fun...) and a jacket that is easy to remove over that, the problem with cold gear is that unless I am "warmed up" for a practice or walking up the hill with the Big pack after a call, it doesn't actully keep me that warm if the wind is out. If there is little wind it is realy nice :)

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
I wear underarmor cold gear long sleeve under my uniform and a nice thick vest if I'm outside. In weather this cold your goal should be to get the patient out of the cold ASAP so you shouldn't have to wear 37 layers to keep yourself warm enough for the short time you're out with a patient.

P.S. with windchill it was -40*F this morning, colder tomorrow. How is it colder here than in Alberta?

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
Apparently in contrast it is balmy here in the east. Only -20C(-4F) with a W/C of about -30C. (Don't forget -40F = -40C.)
I must have some form of antifreeze in me. I usually wear a long sleeved cotton tee shirt and my short sleeved uniform shirt and a vest. Uninsulated boots and no long johns. The shell of my 3 in 1 jacket lives behind the seat of the truck and the insulated liner is in my locker. I might put my jacket on IF I'm going to be out side for a while, eg prolonged extracation on the highway. I have a touque and gloves in my bag if I think I really need them.

Another reason not to move out west. I like the warm winter temperatures here in the east.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Cabela's Military Weight Polartec® Power Stretch Union Bibs

I have the ladies version of this. They are amazing! My uniform does not have long sleeves and I like that I can wear this under my uniform because it is sleeveless. It also has "easy access" for you know... taking care of business. Fleece inner, nylon outer. Not bulky at all. Take it from someone who does SAR in the Rockies. A good pair of warm gloves is essential also. I like having a thin fleece liner glove and thicker, insulated waterproof outers.