Today in the life of FMRWHKR

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
This will give me a reason to check back more often. A mini series into the daily life of me, FMRWHKR, and no, I don't want to change my ID. It's hard enough finding new passwords.

Today; Monday 5/22:

It was cold today, very cold in fact, too cold to be working outdoors. When I went to work it was 32 degrees, at 4am; and when I came home it was 46 at 6pm. I dug about 400 tiny holes, each spaced 8' apart, in a straight line. Tomorrow, I'll do the same thing, only in another line, and the same on Wednesday. On Thursday, I'll drop tiny pitch pine trees in the holes, and nature will take it from there. This is called forest reclaimation. The area was timbered, to build picnic tables, and pavillions for the Comm. of Pa, and a prescribed burn cleared the ground. In about twenty years, the forest should be growing strong again.

Here's my office:

Rain over the past two weeks has the canyon looking like it's mid-june.
PICT0114.jpg

Unfortunatly, the lack of rain this year kept me busy as a PA Wildland Certified firefighter.. Here's a pic I snapped w/ my cellphone. That lil thing under the PSP chopper is called a Bambi Bucket. They dip it in a body of water to fill it, then use a winch to open the seal at the base, and dump the water.

PineCreekForestFire.jpg

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
WOW!!

That is some beautiful landscape! I hope you find some peace out there Bruddah!!

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Me too!

Alex... be safe, and always carry the tinfoil tent when playing wildland FF (do you have your Red Card?)

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
MedicStudentJon said:
Me too!

Alex... be safe, and always carry the tinfoil tent when playing wildland FF (do you have your Red Card?)

The "Shake and Bake"?

Alex, I'm jealous. Stay safe and keep us updated as much as you can.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Dude, that's my new desktop photo. Thanks!

I like trees. :-D
I did the same thing... with the forest fire pic!

OP
OP
TTLWHKR

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Same thing as the first.

Trees.

Red Card. No. That's the US Forest Service.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
TTLWHKR said:
Same thing as the first.

Trees.

Red Card. No. That's the US Forest Service.
I thought the Red Card was something that many of the PA Wildland teams got.

Are you a Forest Fire Warden? Who, exactly are you working for - I assume PA State DCNR, right?

OP
OP
TTLWHKR

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Pennsylvania Bureau of Forestry - Parks & Recreation

Job Title: Enforcement
Sub: Reclaimation & Education