tips

RESPONDA

Forum Probie
Hi All!

Has anyone got any tips for retaining information when studying? I can retain a majority, but am keen to know if you have some to offer.

Kind regards
responda

super_chris

Forum Probie
The biggest help for me during my EMT course was knowing people outside the classroom. Get to know at least one of your classmates, and study with that person outside of the classroom environment.

The only way for me to learn properly is through repetition. I had to read the prehospital book about 5 times during course.

Do mock calls. It's better if you have someone ahead of you in the class or who has already completed the course. Just do a mock call, have them give you the scenario and you go step by step through the call. The person making the call up would correct you, or encourage you if you did it all correctly.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I basically went through the book and compressed the important parts and what I needed to remember into notes. For me, writing it down at least twice helps me remember it

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
I've always had the philosophy of:

"If you know the why, the what and the how will make sense."

If you understand the theory of every prehospital action or inaction, the science will fall into place.

Good luck.

lcope

Forum Probie
Learners retain approximately:

>>90% of what they learn when they teach someone else/use immediately.
>>75% of what they learn when they practice what they learned.
>>50% of what they learn when engaged in a group discussion.
>>30% of what they learn when they see a demonstration.
>>20% of what they learn from audio-visual.
>>10% of what they learn when they've learned from reading.
>>5% of what they learn when they've learned from lecture.

Source: NTL Institute for Applied Behavioral Science

When it comes to studying, your best bet is to tackle information from several different angles. Read your book, take notes, practice what you read (if applicable), and explain what you've learned to someone else.

EMTMandy

Forum Lieutenant
in the lecture portions of my classes, I focused on understanding and internalizing the subjects so I could shut my book and explain everything in Great detail to a lay person and have them understand. Then I re-read everything again.

In the practical portion, Repetition is really the key. practice whenever you can on whoever you can. I also liked to memorize my skill sheets so I could scan through the information in my head without having to think, basically commiting everything to muscle memory. that helped so I could focus more on a subtleties of a given scenerio rather than my raw skills.

hope this helps! good luck!

TheDoll

Forum Captain
i do my best when i read the material BEFORE lecture, and review it right before lecture. also, while i read i write down questions to things i don't understand and can ask them during class. also, i take more effective notes during lecture if i've already reviewed the material. finally, i go over all of the questions in the workbook and at the end of each chapter to quiz myself. usually, i don't have to study very much before class because i have such a good foundation of the material by then. good luck!

smvde

Forum Crew Member
This worked for me

Prior to going to class, I made sure I had read the material at least twice, then during the lecture portion of the class, I was "following" along, and not simply being exposed for the first time to the information.

Also, I never study when tired, it is counter productive.

Hope this helps.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
All of the above are great tips..

As an educator, I recommend that you too read ahead of the assignment according to your syllabus, as well complete the objectives found in front of the chapter, in an outline form.

By doing this allow additional space for lecture notes and clarification from the speaker. You might have questions or the need to be more in-depth, on an objective.

Good luck!

R/r 911

certguy

Forum Captain
A good resource is ; www.emtb.com this site is posted by the editors of Care and Transportation of the Sick and Injured and has practice tests , A & P teaching aids , and physiology of some injuries and medical conditions .

There are also EMT simulator websites that can help hone your thought processes .

Good Luck ,

Craig