Tips on taking vitals in a moving ambulance

Frozin

Forum Probie
Hello all,

I'm new to the field and just got my first job as an emt with an ambulance company. My vital taking skills are fine until the ambulance starts going. I have trouble keeping the feel of the pulse on my fingers to accurately count it, I also have trouble with hearing the BP and seeing the respiration while the rig is rolling... Any tips on making these things easier or is this something that comes easier with more time in the rig? I've only done 2 days so far, but I am a bit discouraged that it takes me so much time to get vitals, especially the BP, I hate having to do it 2 or more times.

I am getting the hang of writing reports while the rig is moving hehe, that was a :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: my first day.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Just 4 threads below yours is the same exact topic.

http://emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=17212

Essentially you just need practice. There are no hard and true ways to get better without practice and finding your own way. I personally put my legs on the cot and rest the patients straight arm on my leg when doing a BP.

Grab their arm like you're taking their pulse, put it across their chest, and count how often their chest moves you arm up and down, and that's your ventilation.

OP
OP
F

Frozin

Forum Probie
This can be closed didn't see the other thread.