Tips on applying and interviewing??

HeatherLovesEMS

Forum Probie
I just passed my national registry exam and I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers on how to apply (online? in person? can I make follow up calls? cover letters, resume tips?) and how to handle interviews (how to dress, what to be prepared for)?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :D

Maine iac

Forum Lieutenant
There are a number of similar threads like this floating around. Doing a Google search can provide lots of answers (about.com has a HUGE amount of stuff on interviewing, resumes, coverletters, what to wear, firm hand shake or soft one). There are a few good sites out there if you search "paramedic interview questions" or "EMT interview questions" (do both the searches as you might get different but relevant information from either search).

Many companies seem to be doing online applications, or download it from their site then either email it or mail it in to them. You will want to include a copy of your resume and a coverletter with every application. Small things extremely matter, don't have an email address like xXhottiedancerXx@hotbook.com have something professional. Make sure spelling and grammar is correct (3..2..1.. cue the trolls to grammar check this post), and that you address the person professionally, and always sign off professionally. Even after I was hired and the HR was calling me by my first name, it always been Miss, Ms. or Mr.

I think lots of good pointers can be learnt from the sales community, so reading up on how to get a sales job might help you a bunch. After all, we spend the entire time talking to a patient to extract information and then if you may sell them something. Plus a sales job is always in the publics eye, just like EMS.

Lastly, keep reading and stay up on all that information. An interview might happen very quickly and will most likely include some sort of scenario so you'll want to be on your game.

Chan

Forum Crew Member
If I read a cover letter with obvious gramatical errors; in the trash it goes. If you can't bother to double check your spelling/grammar, why should I trust you with a patient?

Marty Mcfly

Forum Crew Member
You first find all of the ambulance companies in your area. Call each one and ask if they are accepting applications ( most of them will say yes ). Drive down and fill out an app.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Remember to send them a thank you card.

Squad51

Forum Crew Member
First, congrats on your cert and welcome to EMS. I think Maine nailed the key points with his post. Especially the little details like the email address. You don't want "HeatherLovesEMS@blahblahblah.com". You might try Gmail or mail.com for a more professional one with your name. Also, dress to impress. Remember to dress for the position you want, not the one you're interviewing for.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I always hated this one , makes me feel so small .

Why? It's polite, no belittling...

I have only ever written "thank you" cards to companies that took the time to interview me. With that said, I haven't sent many...I haven't had a problem getting a job since I was 16.

One word: Networking