Tips for New EMT-Bs

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
Hi everyone,

1st post.
I'm in the second have of EMT-Basic school in Santa Clara County, California. I was wondering what tips you experienced EMTs and Paramedics have for students or fresh out of school EMT-B's.

Areas to really concentrate studies on, things to do/not do to prevent annoying our partners, tips on clinical rotations in hospitals, real life skills not taught in the class? Or maybe just mistakes you made yourself!

Thanks,
Anthony

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by AnthonyM83@Oct 11 2005, 08:30 PM
Or maybe just mistakes you made yourself!

Thanks,
Anthony
WHAT?!?! You think..WE...the creme de le creme would make a mistake?!?!?! Thats it...50 lashings with a wet spaghetti noodle for you!!

Oh and WELCOME!!!!!!!!!! We are glad your here.

Really though...mistakes...hmm...You mean like being so hyped up about your first really nasty trauma you leave the NRB attached to the main O2 tank in the ambulance when you arrive at the hospital, and as you wheel the Pt out they only get hung "a little" before you realize what happened. Or how about throwing a piece of equipment through the glass in the back of the unit. Or forgetting your in reverse and stepping on the gas. Or thinking your dealing with one patient and when you ask her if she has been doing any better since she jumped off the bridge, and hearing her reply "That wasn't me, that was my twin sister"....

Can anybody relate to any of these??

emtI

Forum Crew Member
Tips? Here's one. Take a couple deep breaths before you start talking on the radio to give your patient report, and talk slow. If you think you are talking too slow, it's usually just right.

I have heard a couple of our new EMT's giving pt reports so fast they sound like they are in a foreign language. If the ER can't understand your report, it takes twice as long if you have to repeat it.

Good luck with the rest of your class.

trauma1534

Forum Captain
Hello, and it is great that you have asked for advice. I am shift leader at my volunteer squad and I seem to get fresh new emts on my shift. I am also paid with two agencies and I see alot of fresh emts. If I may, here are a few tips.

1.) Always admit when you don't know something. When asked to take a set of vitals and you are unsure of your B/P reading, just say so... don't just make one up to try to impress your partner (they can read through it anyway!) Plus, I have been doing this for 11 years now, and sometimes I still don't hear a B/P perfectly... it never hurts when you are not sure to get a second opinion.

2.) ALWAYS remember, PATIENT FIRST! If someone on the scene offends you, or does something you don't agree with, DO NOT argue in front of the patient... save it until after the call and away from everyone else.

3.) Every chance you get, get in and get your hands dirty. Take that blood pressure, listen to those lungs, interview that patient. Learn to be agressive. Your partner will not let you screw up. They are there to help you, not intemidate you.

4.) The only stupid question is the one not asked. If you are not sure about something, or you are on a call and want to know more about the condition you are dealing with, if the AIC is not busy asking the patient questions, by all means, ask what you want, as long as it is appropriat in front of the patient.

5.) If any provider tries to intimidate you or put you down or blow you off because you are new, go to the next rank person over them. This is a time for you to learn, and not the time for that other BS. :angry:

6.) Help clean the truck after a call. Don't just twiddle your thumbs. :blink:

7.) When doing your ER rotation for class, find a nurse that is EMS friendly and learn all you can from her.

8.) Learn from your mistakes. :unsure:

9.) Good luck and most of all, relax! B)

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
First of all, welcome (both of you) to our own little corner of dysfunction.

There's been some good advice given, and I only have one thing to add....

REMEMBER WHO'S HAVING THE EMERGENCY!

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Anthony & Trauma,

:D :D :D Welcome! :D :D :D

Anthony, my tip: memorize all thats posted above (well, you don't have to memorize Princesses shpeel, but those thing do happen so take them in). You'll do just fine. Relaxing is the key and that will take a while to do.

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by Wingnut@Oct 12 2005, 04:13 AM
(well, you don't have to memorize Princesses shpeel, but those thing do happen so take them in).
HEY!!!! Now your talking about me like I am Jon :D :p :D

Seriously Anthony...If you can remember what FFEMT said, you will go very far. It doesn't matter if it is the 3 a.m. toe pain for 6 weeks but tonights its worse call or the any time Cardiac Arrest, remember YOU are the one with the training. Your there to help. Its their (the patients or families) Emergency, there is no need for you to spaz out with them.

Trust me, once you get all hyper on scene, your ability to function adequately will diminish in accordance with how excited you are.

Also keep in mind, when the crappola really starts to fly and you suddenly forget everything you are supposed to know....take a step back, take a deep breath, reach way back deep in your memory and remember the basics. Just like Kindergarden, EMS all begins with the ABC's. Without that basic fundamental, you have nothing.

Good luck. You'll do great.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
As Princess said, always remember your ABC's.

And check out the signatures here. While funny, the usually provide good advice.

"If it's wet and sticky and not yours, leave it alone." (Remember BSI)

"Air goes in and out, blood goes round and round. Any variation of this is a bad thing." (Again, ABC).

And remember this, as morbid as it sounds. If you do something that kills the patient, you know what to do... CPR. :eek:

Chimp

ndilley

Forum Crew Member
I'm also a new emt for a county service these tips are great guys thanks...

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
these are all great tips, here are a few more:

1. Utilize your MDT.

2. Buy a "good" stethascope

3. Always bring your own "good" stethascope with you

4. Always have a spare stethascope for when you lose your "good one"

5. Remember the Boy Scout motto.... "Be Prepared." That overdose could be a code. That "sick person, BLS" can easily be a code, and the "Injured person, BLS" can be suffering from high-velocity lead poisioning.

6. I must reinforce this.... always ask if you don't know, and say if you aren't sure.

Welcome, all, and hope to hear from you more

`Jon

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
1. Welcome

2. Don't feed Jon

3. Don't spend more than 30 bucks on any stethoscope, they are only as good as the person using it

4. Vicks VapoRub.. Get some, make sure it isn't the odorless and greaseless kind.. You'll need this for the smelly calls.

5. If it's cut wide open, muscle, etc. is hanging out, and it's not bleeding... Check for a pulse.

6. If they are dead, and look like they should stay that way, don't try to change that.. They'll end up a vegetable for the next 50 years, and outlive their entire family - who will be broke and heart broken.

7. When in doubt, lay em out.. If you think they should be boarded... Put em on a board. Never hurts to be prepared.

8. Never buy anything from Galls

9. If someone has a disease that you know of, and someone else can get.. Put a bright colorful bandaid on their left index finger. Universal "Put some damn gloves on" sign.

10. Don't become a whacker or a Paragod.

BloodNGlory02

Forum Crew Member
Go see a drum corps show this summer. you're lucky to live in the home of the Santa Clara Vanguard. A very highly respected corps. Check it out.

(sorry shameless 'hobby plug' since you're from the home of my fave corps) :D

Margaritaville

Forum Lieutenant
Be honest, honest and more honest about what you do and don't know.

I have gone over more than one ambulance with a new provider who says "oh i already know that." When I need them to do whatever it is and they look at me and say "huh", I really want to choke them out!!!!

Also, learn good documentation. Believe it or not - good documentation is way more important than anyone realizes. There have been days that I have reviewed reports and just felt like handing the providers a set of crayons and say "have at it". Your QA/QI people will appreciate good documentation immensly. B)

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by EMTPrincess@Oct 12 2005, 02:57 AM
Also keep in mind, when the crappola really starts to fly and you suddenly forget everything you are supposed to know....take a step back, take a deep breath, reach way back deep in your memory and remember the basics. Just like Kindergarden, EMS all begins with the ABC's. Without that basic fundamental, you have nothing.

When the crap really hits the fan, and you forget everything else, remember this:

Your ambulance has wheels.....USE THEM!

High flow diesel is second only to high flow O2.

ipscscott

Forum Crew Member
Originally posted by Chimpie@Oct 12 2005, 05:19 AM
And remember this, as morbid as it sounds. If you do something that kills the patient, you know what to do... CPR. :eek:
Hey, that's good. Makes the whole thing seem a lot less stressful, doesn't it? :D

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by ipscscott+Oct 12 2005, 05:38 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ipscscott @ Oct 12 2005, 05:38 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Chimpie@Oct 12 2005, 05:19 AM
And remember this, as morbid as it sounds.  If you do something that kills the patient, you know what to do... CPR.  :eek:
Hey, that's good. Makes the whole thing seem a lot less stressful, doesn't it? :D [/b][/quote]
If you really kill a patient...

Start to act like you've cracked, talk about calls like the haunt you and claim PTSD...

My supervisor told a rookie that once.

trauma1534

Forum Captain
I almost forgot the most important tip to cya, DOCUMENT... DOCUMENT...DOCUMENT... DOCUMENT, and when you think you have documented enough, DOCUMENT even more. :D

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
Originally posted by BloodNGlory02@Oct 12 2005, 03:25 PM
Go see a drum corps show this summer. you're lucky to live in the home of the Santa Clara Vanguard. A very highly respected corps. Check it out.

(sorry shameless 'hobby plug' since you're from the home of my fave corps) :D
I will agree but look for the Phantom Regiment.... :D

The only subject not covered so far has been driving. It is still not your emergency even when you are driving. A smooth ride is absolutely neccesary to assure those in the back can get their job done. Smooth, slow cornering, smooth stops, smooth, slow starts. Plan way ahead what you are going to do at intersections. Plan way ahead at all times for that matter. Always assume those in front of you are complete idiots. Keep your following distance and always leave yourself an out. If you need to make a "hard stop" holler to the back so they can grab a hold of something.

I firmly believe that you can be the best EMT in the world, but if you cannot drive you are not worth spit. I have heard many stories where a tube was missed due to a driver error etc. I have also witnessed what happens when an EMT cannot drive and word gets around. Paramedic brought an EMT back to our ops center and refused to go out with him again. Word got around and now hes gone, couldn't keep a partner.

Good luck and welcome!!

emtI

Forum Crew Member
Originally posted by coloradoemt@Oct 13 2005, 10:03 AM
The only subject not covered so far has been driving. It is still not your emergency even when you are driving. A smooth ride is absolutely neccesary to assure those in the back can get their job done. Smooth, slow cornering, smooth stops, smooth, slow starts. Plan way ahead what you are going to do at intersections. Plan way ahead at all times for that matter. Always assume those in front of you are complete idiots. Keep your following distance and always leave yourself an out. If you need to make a "hard stop" holler to the back so they can grab a hold of something.

I firmly believe that you can be the best EMT in the world, but if you cannot drive you are not worth spit.

AMEN!!!

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Originally posted by emtI+Oct 13 2005, 12:31 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (emtI @ Oct 13 2005, 12:31 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-coloradoemt@Oct 13 2005, 10:03 AM

I firmly believe that you can be the best EMT in the world, but if you cannot drive you are not worth spit.

AMEN!!! [/b][/quote]
Absolutely, Great Point! too many people forget about this part and it's the most important one!