Tips for getting Hired

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Does anyone have any tips for getting hired in EMS? What did you wear for the interview? Did you have a resume? Anything else I should be aware of that would be helpful?

lastcode

Forum Crew Member
I know with my resume I concentrate more on things that show dedication. I list things I volunteer with, and anything that I have been doing for a long time. EMS has high turn over to company's want to know that you are willing to stick around and also willing to keep up your education.

OP
OP
MMiz

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Originally posted by lastcode@Feb 18 2004, 11:18 AM
I know with my resume I concentrate more on things that show dedication. I list things I volunteer with, and anything that I have been doing for a long time. EMS has high turn over to company's want to know that you are willing to stick around and also willing to keep up your education.
Great advice there. I actually ended up getting hired, and think it was really due to essential need of staff, not specifically my qualifications.

For people going through the interview process, here are a few things I did:
  • Had a resume with references
  • Wrote a thank you note after having the interview
  • Got dressed up, possibly over-dressed, but I still think it showed I cared
If I had to do it over again, I would have definitely spent some time reviewing material so I could have done better on the pre-employment test. Having been out of EMS for two years, I had forgotten the symptoms of angina pectoris and a Pericardial Tamponade.

I got the job though, and am happy to finally be working in EMS again :)

huckleberry18

Forum Crew Member
Haha I am just like you I am just a Begginer and try the same thing. I started a program that teaches us all about interviews and helps you know what to do or say, One of the was
1. Don't be afraid to volunteer for stuff
2. Don't be afraid to communicate
3. Just try your best
I accully learned all this from one of the Captains for a Fire Department that runs Emt/Emt/Paramedics.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Also don't be late, don't lie, and don't ask about drug-testing or sick time.