Tips and Tricks

EMT B

Forum Captain
Anybody have any good ways to alleviate nausea in the field without zofran?

Last edited by a moderator:

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Ondansetron.... Ooh wait you said without :p

Ride it out?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
1. Birth control
2. Washing hands before touching food or mouth.
3. Pick better places to go code 7.
:blink:
4. Lots of cool moving air, distraction, remove noxious stimuli (rotting food, incontinence products, and especially vomitus), aromatic inhalant under the nose (used to use Mentholatum lip balm on the moustach for coroner's pickups). Sipping cold water, nibbling dry starches.

5. There are a number of pharmaceutical anti-emetics, be careful of drug interactions and pregnancy related side effects. One person told me Reglan will stop vomiting, but it doesn't decrease the nausea, which sounds like Hell.

Oh, and consider that maybe the treatment administerd caused the problem and try D/C'ing it. N/V can be an early sign of an allergic reaction especially to swallowed substances.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
1. Birth control
2. Washing hands before touching food or mouth.
3. Pick better places to go code 7.
:blink:
4. Lots of cool moving air, distraction, remove noxious stimuli (rotting food, incontinence products, and especially vomitus), aromatic inhalant under the nose (used to use Mentholatum lip balm on the moustaceh for coroner's pickups). Sipping cold water, nibbling dry starches.

5. There are a number of pharmaceutical anti-emetics, be careful of drug interactions and pregnancy related side effects. One person told me Reglan will stop vomiting, but it doesn't decrease the nausea, which sounds like Hell.

Oh, and consider that maybe the treatment administerd caused the problem and try D/C'ing it. N/V can be an early sign of an allergictreaction to swallowed substances.

#4 is a big one for me. If its hot in the back of the ambulance i get car sick. If its cool or cold then I am perfectly fine.

CGULL

Forum Ride Along
#4 is a big one for me. If its hot in the back of the ambulance i get car sick. If its cool or cold then I am perfectly fine.

This. Cheap and easy and usually helps at least a little bit. I have heard breaking an ice pack and just putting it on a pt's forehead helps too.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
In desperation you could try benadryl, it is a first generation histamine blocker just like promethazine.

Probably won't work with less than 50mg, may not work at all, but worth a shot.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Meclizine world great for me.

And I'd also agree that keeping it cool in the back eliminates most of the problem.

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
Temperature is HUGE. Keep someone cold and it does wonders for decreasing nausea.

Also citrus scents can help, I've heard of expectant moms keeping lemon slices in ziploc baggies in their purses to ward off "morning" sickness that isn't limited to "mornings"! I wasn't cursed with morning sickness with either of my kids, so I don't know firsthand if that works or not but I've heard it does.

CritterNurse

Forum Captain
Hrm... Could always try pressure points if its for yourself, or someone who for some reason can't handle anti-nausea meds. http://www.buzzle.com/articles/pressure-points-for-nausea.html

I find it helps, even if it is due to a placebo effect. I'm skeptical when it comes to eastern/alternative medicine, but the pressure points on the hand and wrist seem to work when I try them.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere

webster44

Forum Crew Member
Its all about the road noise.

We have these new ambulances that are really well insulated and quiet in the back. Hence, myself and the pt's get nauseated.
It has to to do with your inner air and a mismatch between movement and sound. I find opening the window helps out a bunch. just a little road noise does the trick for me.

I know some people recommend against opening the window as it sucks in exhaust, I don't know how serious of a concern that really is