This caught me off guard....

emschick1985

Medic
Sorry so long, gotta get this off my chest. Ok so I got a speeding ticket last month. My first traffic violation ever, I was offered to take defensive driving class to keep it off my record. (Awesome!) anyways I took the class today, didn't realize it would be as good as it was. I would recommend it to everyone! It impacted my life and everyone else in the room. The instructor had police and EMS background. Part of the class We watched a bunch of footage and slide shows of actual wrecks and fatalities. You kno Things we see in EMS all the time. You'd think me being around it would keep it from
Bothering me, but all of a sudden I got an overwhelming sense of emotion while watching these images and videos. Lives forever being changed in a matter of seconds usually from carelessness of others. I was reliving the moments of pain, stress and tragedy that I had evidently pushed aside while on the job. Other people in the room were also impacted by it as well, some even crying. The thing the instructor mentioned is that those tragedies had so much more to them that couldn't be put on a slide. Things him and I could relate to. Certain smells, pain, emotion, witnessing the families reactions, experiencing it first hand can't be placed in a picture. I've never really been bothered by the tragic calls I've ran on, till today all these emotions came swooping in and totally caught me off guard. I guess watching it like that while I wasn't in work mode forced me to actually think about it. Have any of you ever been affected emotionally by a call that stuck with you? I'm betting all of us have but I just had to get this out. My husband tries to understand but no one really can unless they've experienced it so I'm glad I have y'all to talk to!!!

FF-EMT Diver

Forum Captain
Glad that you turned what could have been a negative moment for you into a positive, mindset has a lot to so with how our careers turn out.

planetmike

Forum Lieutenant
PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder) can catch anyone off guard at any moment. The trigger can be a smell, how someone or something looks, a sound, anything. The trickiness of it is that what affects me won’t be the same thing that affects you. Definitely talk with someone about it, in real life if possible, but we’re here for you as well. It doesn’t mean you’re weak. We all need help at times. Thanks for sharing your experience.

OP
OP
emschick1985

emschick1985

Medic
PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder) can catch anyone off guard at any moment. The trigger can be a smell, how someone or something looks, a sound, anything. The trickiness of it is that what affects me won’t be the same thing that affects you. Definitely talk with someone about it, in real life if possible, but we’re here for you as well. It doesn’t mean you’re weak. We all need help at times. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Thankyou for that, I was feeling weak but I am feeling better about it