things you will never live down

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Ours do this nifty little pop-off thing when the rig is started if it is still connected.

So do ours. But every now and again they don't work right and you still take it with you....

jpbaker1988

Forum Probie
The Wrong Door

This event happened when I was acting not as an EMT but as a military police officer on post. I was working the mid shift when I was dispatched to a call to go to the ER on post for a patient who ran from the hospital after he was taken by his chain of command for a mental evaluation. Apparently,he used an office as toilet paper (total mess) and made suicidal threats to his platoon sergeant. I arrive at the hospital to meet with his chain of command to find that he smelled so horrible that while they were signing him in to the ER, he was left outside the waiting room with another soldier to keep from offending the waiting room occupants from his hygienic dilemma. At that point in time, he ran. While finishing up their story, his chain of command receives a call that the individual has been located...back at his barracks room and has locked himself in. I then depart the hospital and haul *** to the barracks. I arrive at the barracks and meet with the commander of the unit and am told where the individuals room is. "Does anyone else have the key?" " Staff Duty?" "No?" I bang on the door, identify myself, and request that he open the door. No answer. I try a second and third time and am met with complete silence. At this point, I fear that we may have a suicide or a barricaded subject. I request from my patrol supervisor to attempt to kick in the door, which is locked(Yes I checked first). At this point, I have never kicked in a door, nor am I aware if it is possible that the door can be kicked in but at this point, my options are limited since I have no idea whats going on on the other side of the door. Finally, I receive permission to breach the door. I take a couple steps back and kick as hard as my short stocky legs provide. BOOM!!! Door flies open......to show an empty, unoccupied room. My foot is throbbing. The sound of the door getting kicked in was so loud that the occupant of the room next door comes out to see whats going on to which we discover...ITS THE GUY WE'RE LOOKING FOR!!! In his troubled state, he was not aware that the MP's were looking for him and decided that he didn't feel like waiting at the ER and ran back to his room. I come to find out that the commander had never come to that individuals room before, didn't check to see if there was another key, and I kicked in the wrong door, when the guy we were looking for was living right next to it. Boy did I feel like a jackass.

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief
Picked up a respitory distress pt. and had placed them on a n/c 4lpm, upon arriving at the ER forgot to undo the n/c from the o2 port on the wall of the ambulance. My partner never noticed either, I pulled the stretcher out the back of the truck and damn near hung him! oppss

also guilty

Ripped a line out of a trauma patient about a week ago, not entirely my fault, poor hook placement and trauma sheers in the belt. Partner got a face full of saline but saved the IV.

Last edited by a moderator:

04_edge

Forum Crew Member
Accidentally grabbing a pt's penis.

My partner was being pretty careless taking the leads off the pt. I decided id try to be a nice guy and pull his gown down as it was just about showing his twig and berries off and his family was in the room. Unfortunately little george was sticking straight up. That was an awkward apology.

IRIDEZX6R

Forum Captain
Letting my supervisor park my rig to close to his POV....

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
JPbaker1988, my cohort did that on a base housing front door.

Right house, we could see smoke through windows, but he missed the edge of the door and plunged his boot throgh the thinner panel and was stuck. He had to hop back with his foot in the door as the Shift chief slipped the live bolt lock with his pocket knife and strolled in, took the scorching beans off the stove, and opened a window.

Vivian

Forum Probie
and one does not count while doing CPR. it was funny and now i laugh at it...and whenever i run a code with him i tend to count just to see him laugh

Boy, am I glad I read this, I still haven't gotten a code, and I feel time is very much against me.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
People keep bringing up how a partner and I used to hide fishing poles and live minnows in one of the outside compartments on the ambulance so we could fish on the slow weekend days. It made the day go by quite nicely.

cynikalkat

Forum Lieutenant
Lol

Thanks to all of you for making me laugh. I'm @ work (Not as EMT or anywhere near EMS), trying to study, while being sick as heck, and took a break to read these. LMAO!

I'm sure I will add to this when I finally get a job, Im always doing random stupid stuff.

imadriver

Forum Crew Member
In a back room, patient was sittin' along side his bed, had his daughter there taking care of him. I was at the doorway / foot of the bed handing the Pulse Ox and Glucometer to my partner. Everything checked out, so we went to move the patient to the stretcher. With the daughter on one side, and me walking up to the other, I asked "Would he like to walk if we help him?", daughter looked at me with a smile saying "Weeell... I'm sure that he would." Just as she said that I noticed that he bilat amputee...

Luckily the family had a good sense of humor.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I once told a patient that we charge an arm and a leg for baggage like the airlines. To a pt who had just had a bka.

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
Told the blind pt. as we were going outside, watch your eyes it is really bright out here!

I think the sunglasses through me off:sad:

Adsy

Forum Ride Along
Opening the door the wrong way into the crew room on station.

Knocking over a display in a shop while with a patient, walking into a bollard and losing control of the stretcher in public.

Asking a patient if they worked out while doing an abdo assessment.

Thats students for you...

foxfire

Forum Asst. Chief
I was looking for something to carry some stuff . when I came across a box and exclaimed " hey guys, a box! we can use it for a .....(long pause).....as a box! they just looked at me like did she just say that?!
my brain did a total reboot in the middle of that comment and the thought came out really mixed up.:)

northernnhmedic

Forum Probie
I fell out of the back of an ambulance once...

I was working a one of my last shift on my medic unit in NYC before moving back to New Hampshire. We got called to back up a BLS unit for a patient with chest pain. As we rolled up, we find them coming out of the house with the patient on a stair chair. I get into the back of their bus to get things ready. The FDNY ambulances are set up with a wall mounted stretcher and the aisle between the bench and stretcher is wide enough to fit the chair, so we usually lift the patient right in while theyre still on the chair. So, anyhow, Im standing just inside the bus, feet not quite planted and have a loose grip on the chair. Looked at my guy at the bottom of the chair, who happens to be a new 6-month EMT, look him in the eye and say "Im not ready yet", very clear and loud. He looks at me and says "Oh, youre ready? Go!", and lifts on the bottom of the chair. That pulls me out of the bus, head first, and I go 69 with my 70 year old female patient. The 2 remaining partners help me scramble back in the bus, i do the lift successfully, and I plop myself in the captains chair. Once were all settled, I look around at everyone and say "Someday, we'll all look back at this and laugh.

BlueAngel2955

Forum Ride Along
Not my story, thank goodness, but an old supervisors. Many years ago I worked for a private ambulance service that beat you over the head about driving safety at every available opportunity. They required that one of the medics "spot" the driver any time the vehicle was backing up. Good policy, but you could expect anywhere from a 10 second belittling up to an hourlong rant from any of the supervisory staff who caught you backing "unspotted."

One of the supervisory staff members was well known for being very big on this very issue. He'd tell you that in his 20 plus years he had NEVER, that is NEVER, thank you, did I mention NEVER, backed without a spotter and had NEVER, EVER, run into anything.

My partner and I had stopped to get coffee and were leaving the store, and as I was jumping out (my position was not visible from the street) to spot my partner backing up, this particular SSM drove by in his unit, noticed the reverse floods lit, and no spotter, and promptly got on the radio and told my partner to expect a dressing down at the end of the day for the policy violation.

When I got back in he told me what happened and I just rolled my eyes and said, "Well, he'll shut up once we point out that what he saw wasn't the whole story."

We got in at the end of that 16 hour shift, and no supervisor, even though he'd gone 10-7 an hour before us. His car was gone, the station was pretty much empty except for the O/N crew. Okay, we went home.

Found out the next morning that IMMEDIATELY following his little tirade on the radio, he and his partner went and picked up a pt at the local hospital going to a rehab facility. After dropping off their pt without incident, they left. While he was backing out the ambulance from the tight little spot you had to park in, he IGNORED HIS SPOTTER and backed into someone's Bentley. As in, one of the 300K dollar British juggernauts. Apparently, it did a rather large amount of damage.

He was given some involuntary time off of work for that one, and earned himself the nickname "Bent Lee."

jediwill

Forum Crew Member
Im a new emt-b and my partner and I got a call to a call that turned out to be a older parent who died of natural causes in a bed on the bottom floor and the daughter who was a caregiver went upstairs and committed suicide in a bathroom...well it was the first strip I had ever run on a DOA...so not only did I put a 4 lead on...I also put on the bp cuff and pulse ox....on BOTH patients.I wasn't thinking Id get a bp or anything I just thought that all the vitals*or lack of* needed to be recorded...no one had ever told me how it was supposed to be done.The funny thing is that the FD guys saw me do the first one and didn't say anything to me but said out of earshot"What tha hell?Let's see if he does the other one the same way" lol...My partner told me later..was embarassing but just part of the learning experiance.

MedicPatriot

Forum Crew Member
Everytime we get a call and dispatch advises the patient has nausea one of my usual drivers makes a gesture of drawing up meds in a syringe because I give Zofran out likes its candy and nobody else in my service uses it.

Not that you guys give a sh*t haha