Forum Ride Along
Question about being a Paramedic!!!!

I am currently taking courses in school to become a paramedic
but I heard you need to know how to do mathemathic conversion problems to
administer the right amount of medications. I am not
that great in math but my heart is set on being a paramedic
so my question, if you would be so kind as to reply,
is how Often do Paramedics use conversion problems on a day to day
basis.... is there usually bottles of medicine that are already pre-calculated the
amount that the patient will be given? How often do paramedics use mathematic conversions?
Please let me know!!! :) Thanks!!! Daniela :blush:

OP
OP
medicRob

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Daniela,

I Just tried to respond to your PM via private message answering this question and it said your inbox was too full.

medic417

The Truth Provider
I am currently taking courses in school to become a paramedic
but I heard you need to know how to do mathemathic conversion problems to
administer the right amount of medications. I am not
that great in math but my heart is set on being a paramedic
so my question, if you would be so kind as to reply,
is how Often do Paramedics use conversion problems on a day to day
basis.... is there usually bottles of medicine that are already pre-calculated the
amount that the patient will be given? How often do paramedics use mathematic conversions?
Please let me know!!! :) Thanks!!! Daniela :blush:

You will use math quite a bit. Some services protocols though put a chart so you don't have to as much but it is still better to double check by doing the math. EMS math is actually not hard.

http://ems-safety.com/emsfiles.htm has a good simple math for Paramedics free download.

http://emsbootcamp.com/2010/07/medical-math/ has a great video program but costs about $15. He teaches you 1 formula that covers just about every math problem you will face as a Paramedic. It is much easier to remember 1 formula rather than a bunch.

Hope this helps. With those two items you should be able to master the math needed to be a Paramedic.;)

OP
OP
medicRob

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
And I'm sure based on my growing track record, it will only be a short time before I'm getting calls about H.W.T.R.E.J.J.B.R.N. Hangdangle III forming an iguana gang and getting into a rival gang war with the Skunks.

Looking up your dispatch landline # now... ;)

Scout

Para-Noid
IS there an ambulance with a mini dragon on the grill somewhere?

It would be an interesting handover

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
I am officially the weird animal call girl in dispatch. In a few weeks of taking calls I've had a large injured hawk in the road, an elem. school in lockdown due to multiple sightings of a mountain lion nearby, a large gang of skunks cavorting through a neighborhood causing chaos (according to the RP), rattlesnake near a playground, the infamous baby deer eating grass near a busy highway that people call about almost everyday, a "really, really, really big dog" roaming a neighborhood (not causing any trouble and during animal control's off-duty hours, but so big a cop should come out according to the RP), and many more routine dog/cat/deer calls.

Dear God... what have I done? :blush:

911 calls for service regarding unusual animal situations person?

Here in the NWT and elsewhere in Canada we call the the local Game Warden to deal with those types of calls.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
46154_1445593817086_1150369910_31118353_2669154_n.jpg

Ok, I'm going to show my non-southern roots by saying WT-GD-F is that thing!?!?!?!.

I've never run into anything from Jurassic Park while at work, but my ambulance has been sprayed by a skunk, and I've also seen sick bird that had 3 feathers sticking out at random places....it looked like a rat with a beak.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Here in the NWT and elsewhere in Canada we call the the local Game Warden to deal with those types of calls.

Yeah... mountain lion got the state Divison of Wildlife, but also a police response due to the kiddos. The rattlesnake also got the cops... we've had a lot of dogs bitten by rattlesnakes and at least one kid too this summer. Unusual for our area.

Most simple animal calls get our local animal control during business hours. They will respond on an on-call basis after-hours but only for serious stuff.

I attempted to notify a local raptor rescue for the hawk but got voicemail and never heard back. Never did find out what, if anything, happened with that guy unfortunately.

We keep contact information for people who own livestock near major roads in case they get out.

Animal calls are tricky... sometimes the cops will go, sometimes not. Some of it seems to be their own judgment. It's not always clear who's responsible, if anyone, for many of these calls.

citizensoldierny

Forum Captain
And that right there is why I continue to live in the Northeastt:p

MizRizQuick

Forum Probie
Holy SMOKES! I don't even know what to ask first...

What IS that thing?
Is is native to TN? (I'm NEVER visiting there again!)
How big was it REALLY?
Could it eat the goat???

OMG...

I would've wrecked my car!

OP
OP
medicRob

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Holy SMOKES! I don't even know what to ask first...

What IS that thing?
Is is native to TN? (I'm NEVER visiting there again!)
How big was it REALLY?
Could it eat the goat???

OMG...

I would've wrecked my car!

It is apparently a monitor lizard. It is not native to Tennessee, and if it is in fact
a monitor lizard, it was probably someone's pet. I am quite sure they can come up to almost your knee. However, don't quote me on that.

It most certainly could eat the goat, but in this case he just wanted to remind us that we could save a ton of money on our car insurance by switching to Geico.

Aidey

The Geico Gecko is cute! That thing is not cute!

Edit: Also, a dog is a pet. A cat is a pet. A hamster is a pet. Something that looks like it thinks of me as lunch IS NOT a pet!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
medicRob

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief

Edit: Also, a dog is a pet. A cat is a pet. A hamster is a pet. Something that looks like it thinks of me as lunch IS NOT a pet!

Hershel Walker Texas Ranger Earnhardt Jimmy Jack Billy Ray Nelson Hangdangle the third is a wonderful pet. If you leave him to babysit, I guarantee you the kids will not leave their rooms. Also, no one gives Hershel Walker Texas Ranger Earnhardt Jimmy Jack Billy Ray Nelson Hangdangle the third any lip either.

Aidey

Hershel Walker Texas Ranger Earnhardt Jimmy Jack Billy Ray Nelson Hangdangle the third is a wonderful pet. If you leave him to babysit, I guarantee you the kids will not leave their rooms. Also, no one gives Hershel Walker Texas Ranger Earnhardt Jimmy Jack Billy Ray Nelson Hangdangle the third any lip either.

:blink:

OP
OP
medicRob

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief

Veneficus

Forum Chief

Sassafras

Forum Captain

That depends. In Korea a dog may just be dinner tonight.

Aidey

That is me thinking of it as dinner, not it thinking of me as dinner, lol.

Sasha

Forum Chief
It is apparently a monitor lizard. It is not native to Tennessee, and if it is in fact
a monitor lizard, it was probably someone's pet. I am quite sure they can come up to almost your knee. However, don't quote me on that.

It most certainly could eat the goat, but in this case he just wanted to remind us that we could save a ton of money on our car insurance by switching to Geico.

Yeeeah, if I came across that on my way to work, you'd have to call someone in to work my shift because I'd be dead from a heart attack