Thermometers

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
We have a Welch Allyn. Braun 4000 thermoscan tympanic thermometer. It has both names on it. It seems to be reasonably accurate. We have no protocol that has a specific temp in it.
I consider the temps provided to be an approximation. + or - 2f (1c) doesn't really mean a lot diagnosticly.

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
Body temp of >104 for greater than 30 minutes often results in fatality. Immediate cooling is necessary in whatever means possible. If you in a SAR-type situation, prep for heat stroke treatment on site needs to be in plans...

What sort of on-site treatment are you envisioning that couldn't be done in route?
We're generally looking at exposure, ice packs, and air conditioning on a BLS unit (+ NS for ALS).

Last edited by a moderator:

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
What's your point? If they are HOT, cool them and get them to a hospital. If they are COLD, warm them and get them to a hospital. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out... And in a SAR situation, it'll be basic measures a anyway. So, carry any thermometer you want, but it doesn't REALLY affect the care.

Household6

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
I have these "mom hands" with a calibrated temperature sensing.. After 20 years of rearing kids, I'm actually pretty damn good at estimating within .5 degrees.. The only time I really use them is during a febrile seizure call, or other ped calls.

The other temperature monitoring I use is a gastric monitor during cardiac cooling.

OP
OP
O

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Do you have a source for this?

104 and is stroke territory, 106 is more fatality worthy. But as mentioned, this varies by person. These are AT guidelines.

The protocols I work under require cooling to <102.2 before transport, so temps can certainly be in protocol if thermometers are on board.

Fun fact, heat illness landmarks for K9s are about 2 degrees higher than humans. So normal around 100, stroke after 106ish. We are told to slow it down after 103 and stop at 105ish (varies by dog norm).

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
104 and is stroke territory, 106 is more fatality worthy. But as mentioned, this varies by person. These are AT guidelines.

The protocols I work under require cooling to <102.2 before transport, so temps can certainly be in protocol if thermometers are on board.

Fun fact, heat illness landmarks for K9s are about 2 degrees higher than humans. So normal around 100, stroke after 106ish. We are told to slow it down after 103 and stop at 105ish (varies by dog norm).

What prevents you from transporting at 104? I guarantee you that whatever you can do on scene, a hospital can do much much better. Even if it's just cooling with ice packs, your ambulance has 5 ice packs, the hospital has an ice maker. You have an oral thermometer, they have a rectal thermometer.

vcuemt

Ambulance Driver

I still don't understand what you mean by your protocols requiring you to cool prior to transport. So if you don't cool to under 102, you won't transport?

I just envision you sitting outside on a ball field throwing cooling pack after cooling pack onto a comatose kid and frantically checking your thermometer for it to dip under 102 so you can leave the scene.

Rialaigh

Forum Asst. Chief
What's your point? If they are HOT, cool them and get them to a hospital. If they are COLD, warm them and get them to a hospital. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out... And in a SAR situation, it'll be basic measures a anyway. So, carry any thermometer you want, but it doesn't REALLY affect the care.

This is the attitude many are trying to get away from in EMS though. I mean seriously I can think of 100 things we do that doesn't effect care at all and doesn't make one wee bit of difference in mortality or comfort.

You can't be better at what you do without doing tons of useless :censored::censored::censored::censored:. Medicine has proven that over and over. If we want to move towards field treatment instead of meat wagon transport we are going to have to adapt to the hospital way of doing things.

We carry tempanic thermometers, and are in the process of getting esophageal probes for our new LP15's.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
What kind of treatment do you have in the field that would preclude transport?

If they are hyperthermic, this is one of those cases where you cool them and transport them.

I standby my claim that, in this case, getting the patient to the hospital is a much better idea than sitting around and messing with haphazard cooling or rewarming efforts.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
This is the attitude many are trying to get away from in EMS though. I mean seriously I can think of 100 things we do that doesn't effect care at all and doesn't make one wee bit of difference in mortality or comfort.

You can't be better at what you do without doing tons of useless :censored::censored::censored::censored:. Medicine has proven that over and over. If we want to move towards field treatment instead of meat wagon transport we are going to have to adapt to the hospital way of doing things.

Interesting that you point this out when the hospital culture is trying hard to shift in the direction of NOT doing things that haven't been shown to improve outcomes. Even when things have been shown to improve outcomes, their benefit needs to be weighed against the cost. "Progressive medicine" largely means doing more with less.

Some things just don't matter. Thermometers are one of those things.

Rialaigh

Forum Asst. Chief
Interesting that you point this out when the hospital culture is trying hard to shift in the direction of NOT doing things that haven't been shown to improve outcomes. Even when things have been shown to improve outcomes, their benefit needs to be weighed against the cost. "Progressive medicine" largely means doing more with less.

Some things just don't matter. Thermometers are one of those things.

Yet every patient in fast track at every hospital with some poison ivey or a swollen ankle will get their temp taken.

I'm not arguing that the benefits probably don't outweigh the costs, I'm just saying given how little lobbying power EMS has the path of least resistance to doing more in the field and treating patients..moving towards referals and no transports..etc...is going to be hospital based systems where we are extensions of the ER.

I'm just saying that thermometers are odd things for services to nitpick about, you have all those services carrying glucagon when their average transport time is 10 minutes to a hospital, they have IO's, D50, D5, and yet they spend thousands of dollars a year on glucagon and then complain about having to buy 60 thermometers for 15 ambulances...

OP
OP
O

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Sorry for the confusion, I reread the section for hyperthermia (M10 in ATCEMS COGs) and it says to continue cooling if temp is over 102.2, but no mention of holding transport. Not sure where I heard that. I must have confused it with the AT side of things, where the ice bath trumps all in the field.

In SAR, yes, we would extricate despite temp because there is nothing we can do besides water and fan.

The ED I am at takes quick care temps as well. I just tell the wrist Fx Pts that it is to help make sure nothing else is going on because of the injury. Usually suffices. Unfortunately since I have been there over the past few months there has not been any progression, other than efficiency improvements to our pt charting software.

joeyCC

Forum Ride Along
Your bus have air conditioning?
You have hands to get temp?
You have a uniform on to keep warm?

If you have all three, roll. Don't you-know-what around with a kid's temp in his kitchen while his brain melts.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader

If you have all three, roll. Don't you-know-what around with a kid's temp in his kitchen while his brain melts.
I have yet to see a brain melt. Sometimes it's a good idea to begin temperature stabilization on scene instead of getting the patient into an ambulance that may have marginal ability to heat/cool the patient compartment and certainly doesn't have the ability to easily manage the patient's temperature. Sometimes it makes sense to get the patient to a facility where it's easier to rewarm or cool.

If my patient feels too hot or cool, I'm going to get a temp right away. Will that temp reading (in isolation) change the care I give? No. The entirety of circumstances surrounding the patient can, though... and temp is one of the factors.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I'm mellllllllllllllting!!!!!!!!!!!!

Severely hypothermic patients can be very susceptible to movement. Why not spend a little bit of timing getting them really packaged well and starting the rewarding process rather than run run run run?

Hyperthermia needs to be addressed as well, but you won't catch me going code with a hyperthermia patient when I have the ability to initiate cooling. There's a reason we're one of the last nations to advocate scooping and running.

Watch "An Hour to Save Your Life" on YouTube. Yea it's doctors but they're sitting on scene taking care of the patients needs for much longer with much sicker patients than we are running to the hospital with. They're not doing anything crazy on most either.

What's the rush?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

My service advocates staying on scene to stabliize a medical patient, and even most trauma patients, before transport. We can do near everything our ER can except for scans and blood. Hell we usually stabilize and transport straight to the airport if the patient is that bad. There's a lot of things we can do prior to leaving scene.

hops19

Forum Probie
Check out this website. Also the NATA will have new guidelines coming out soon.

http://ksi.uconn.edu

I'm pretty sure I already posted the video about why it was important to COOL first, transport second. In some states, it is now required that high schools have a cold tub ready in case of exertional heat stroke because it is critical to cool ASAP. Full body immersion is the BEST cooling mechanism. You can't do that in the back of an ambulance..

Also, realize that in an active individual, there are only two accurate mechanisms of reading core body temperature. Use of a ingestible thermometers or a rectal thermometer. Using an oral thermometer is not "good enough."