The "Whacker" in You

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
and a few other odds and ends in it (yeah I know it is basically a purse, I get plenty of grief about it at work).

People NEED to learn....Its a MANbag god damn it. If my manbag gets called a purse one more time I'm ganna go postal on whoever says it.

ChicagolandIFT

Forum Crew Member
People NEED to learn....Its a MANbag god damn it. If my manbag gets called a purse one more time I'm ganna go postal on whoever says it.

Right! My manbag has made life quite a bit easier! I tell them to suck up their insecure masculinity and try it. B)

OP
OP
medichopeful

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
You want to see some whackers though, I'll give you some examples from work. We have quite a few squirrelly people there.

What, exactly, are you waiting for? :p:glare:

traumamama

Forum Crew Member
Wow! A manbag?? I don't have any men in my bag:) I carry two bags in my car-they belong to our service. I have our volunteer EMS sticker in my window along with my volunteer fire department sticker. I back my car into it's place at home so I don't have to take time to turn around. EMS and fire shirts? You mean someone sells other types of clothes? Wow, maybe I need to shop somewhere else:) And unfortunately, in our small community everyone knows who I am and they call me at home before they call 911! Hello, my husbands having chest pain-do you think I need to call an ambulance-duh, I don't know, how big of a life insurance policy does he have? Yes, you need to call 911 and no I cannot come over and check him out unless you invite my ambulance and crew too:wacko:

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
hmmmm I probably have a lot of wackerisms:

I own my own littmann scope

I keep 3 sets of turnout gear in my car. In my defense, two of them are department issued, and since I am on the special ops/technical rescue team for my agency, and we respond directly to scenes, it makes sense. plus one is the old stuff, and the other is new. and yes, I really should remove that third set, but I didn't have a place to store it until now (ditto the old gear).

I wear FD and EMS T-shirts when I am at the gym.

I own a batbelt, and use it at work

I have sticker for both my paid and volunteer agencies on the back of my window.

I own my own BP cuff, but it is is my dresser, and hasn't been used in close to 10 years (back when I was in EMT class)

I have stopped at MVCs in the past, if there is no one else there yet, but only if they were already in my route of travel. usually the extent of what I do is call 911 and give them a useful size up and tell them what resources them need (number of injuries, FD, rescue, one cop even asked if i though they would need a helicopter lol)

and If I am working in dispatch, or at the firehouse, I like knowing what is going on around the area, even if I'm not going there. I believe the appropriate term is "squirrel."

But I don't have a scanner at home, nor do I have any desire to listen to surrounding areas when I am not at work. I don't carry a pager or radio with me everywhere I go. I don't have strobes in my headlights, don't jump calls that I am not requested to (just to help out), and don't keep a first aid kit in my car

and I definitely spend waaaaay too much time on an ambulance. Fortunately I am paid for most of that time :-D

thatJeffguy

Forum Lieutenant

I was always laughed at for my "purse", despite always being prepared for whatever situation would arise. Then one day I had a friend look in a compartment to fetch my notebook and ink-stick. He opened the wrong compartment and found my stash of four spare magazines for my sidearm. After that, the insults tapered off. I referred to it as my "go-bag" and no one ever questioned it again :)

Sadly, the single-strap system didn't suit me, so I now EDC a 1400ci pack that looks much more "civilian/urban" friendly. Still got the spare mags inside, though.

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
I was always laughed at for my "purse", despite always being prepared for whatever situation would arise. Then one day I had a friend look in a compartment to fetch my notebook and ink-stick. He opened the wrong compartment and found my stash of four spare magazines for my sidearm. After that, the insults tapered off. I referred to it as my "go-bag" and no one ever questioned it again :)

Sadly, the single-strap system didn't suit me, so I now EDC a 1400ci pack that looks much more "civilian/urban" friendly. Still got the spare mags inside, though.

I really, really, really hope you're a copper.

thatJeffguy

Forum Lieutenant
He could have a concealed carry license. But I regardless, I think its foolish to leave your side arm in a bag.

I do, and I don't. I carry spare magazines in my bag. My sidearm rides on my right hip and it DOESN'T accompany me when I'm doing ride alongs or any other function related to EMS.

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
So tell me, don't you need a good reason to get a concealed carry license. Surely the average person is not allowed to simply carry a gun because they feel like it.

OP
OP
medichopeful

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
So tell me, don't you need a good reason to get a concealed carry license. Surely the average person is not allowed to simply carry a gun because they feel like it.

Actually, they are, at least here in the United States.

zaboomafoozarg

Forum Crew Member
In the U.S. they are.

Which makes sense because most people who would go to the trouble of getting a concealed handgun license permit would probably not use it to commit a crime. Crime of passion, sure. Otherwise, not so much.

If I was going to commit a crime I'd grab a shotgun or something and to heck with the registration. That only helps them track you...

Last edited by a moderator:

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape

Depends on your state. In a lot of them, anyone who can pass a basic gun safety class and a background check can indeed get a gun just because they feel like it. My home state is one of these. I'm pretty sure every house in my neighborhood has a gun or five, and I've never known of any problems. In fact, when we first moved out from a major city, local law enforcement actually advised us to get a shotgun...

Some states do require that you submit a reason to the sheriff's office. I used to think that was a good idea, but had a friend several months ago run into a situation that made me reconsider. She had a very violent stalker who'd made some serious, credible threats. She wanted a carry permit because she was worried he'd make good on them one night. So, she went to the sheriff, who told her he'd known the stalker since he was little and that he couldn't possibly be involved in such a case. Request denied. Luckily, the creep is now in jail anyways.

As I've said before, though, I would never carry on duty. I don't want a gun anywhere near my ambulance unless it's on a cop.

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
I have a CCP. I only carry on my person in a place where I feel the need. Otherwise I dont. I wouldn't carry while working because its uncomfortable.

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief

We can obtain concealed carry permits depending on your state. I carry because I feel as if I am at risk as a young woman that is often "single" in public. I'm also extremely well knowledged in weapons though however. I paid my costs, went through the courses and proved myself able and ready to carry a weapon. And I only carry it where I feel particularly necessary.

dragonjbynight

Forum Crew Member
Not what I mean. I will rephrase...

Having a trauma bag that is the same one as the one on the TV show just because you are a brand new EMT is nothing to be "extremely proud of".

I was proud of myself when I finished my EMT class. While it was no where near as hard as even my under graduate general chemistry class, I still took the time to come to class, read my book, practice for and pass the skills test, go on a ride along with an ambulance and a shift at the ER, and than pass the national registry. While I do not remember any step of that while process as being difficult, it took some effort and I remember being pretty happy to get my card in the mail.

Still, just remember that EMT is not all that special. It is only a 120 hour class that cannot even be called more than advanced first aid. Yet, it is 120 hours of first aid that you never had before...

gotchya! Understandable:p

thatJeffguy

Forum Lieutenant

U.S. Constitution;

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

And for those confused what "militia" might mean...

US Federal Code
Title 10, Subtitle A, Part I, Chapter 13, § 311

§ 311. Militia: composition and classes

(a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard.
(b) The classes of the militia are—
(1) the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard and the Naval Militia; and
(2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia.

Thus, according to US Federal Law, I am a de facto member of the unorganized militia.

To give you the less complicated answer; we're a Republic in which the Federal Government is quite limited in it's powers and restrained by the US Constitution. Now, in the past "few" (take that as you may) years, we've strayed quite far from that notion. Regardless, the law is still the law. The Federal Government "shall not infringe" upon our natural right to possess arms for the purpose of defense.

Seaglass - Your example is a perfect anedcote of the absurdity of "gun control" laws. Do you or your friend find it a bit absurd to ask permission to exercise a right? Would you accept having to go before the elected High Pontiff to obtain licensure to attend church? Or to operate a blog? Of course not! Yet, for some reason, we've allowed ourselves to conceded this power to the government. Unalienable means just that, it's right not able to be removed by legislation or majority vote, or some good old boy network down at the Sheriff's office. Shoot me a PM if you'd like more information, specifically tell me in what state you reside. A large number of permit-issuing states are "Shall issue" and don't leave a lot of lee-way in the hands of the Sheriff for denying a permit. You also usually don't have to specify the individual threatening you to obtain a permit and have the Sheriff put him on "trial" while deciding if he'll issue.

Sorry for the tangential post there.

Very simple answer: Yes, in America we're allowed to purchase simple machines designed to accelerate a small piece of metal.