The right career?

Captn' Tuddle

Forum Crew Member
Hey everyone,
I'm a college sophmore who has just been hit with the idea that becoming an EMT might be a cool career for me. But, just to make sure I'm turning in the right direction, I wanted to clear some things up.

First off, Is it an enjoyable job - do you enjoy getting up at odd hours to do what you do?
Second, how is the pay? I don't need to make tons of money, but I need to make sure that it is enough to support myself.

Any and all words of wisdom are wanted.

Thanks!

*Edit* Also, how is the job market right now?

Last edited by a moderator:

HAZMAT

Forum Probie
Welcome to the forums! EMS is an acquired taste by all means some people just have a thing for it and with time some loose the desire. I personally enjoy what I do and am furthering my education as a Paramedic student. As far as the pay issue you aren't going to make huge money but I would think you should be able to support yourself. Talk to some local EMS providers, get a feel for it.

- HAZMAT

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
In my area, there is more money in fire departments then there are any where else. As I can't do fire I'm kind of screwed. ;) I can't vouch for anything else, the market is completely dependent on your area. I don't mind odd hours, but I went into medicine for an interest/love of it. Its demanding and difficult and will only get worse when you're actually working. So be sure you're really interested in the field before you jump in, or you'll only be miserable. See if any of the FD's, hospitals or ambulance companies allow shadows/ride alongs. Thats the best way IMO of seeing if you'll like it or not.

OP
OP
C

Captn' Tuddle

Forum Crew Member
I've done a great deal of research sbout the job and I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy it (crazy hours included). I'm just making sure that there are no hidden snags - like not being able to pay your bills. Can't have the IRS after me. :p

Summit

Critical Crazy
Job market is :censored::censored::censored::censored:ty
Pay is :censored::censored::censored::censored:ty
It's not a career it's a vocation
Finish college

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Job market is :censored::censored::censored::censored:ty
Pay is :censored::censored::censored::censored:ty
It's not a career it's a vocation
Finish college

What summit said...

Finish college. I don't like conforming to the "Modern Education" and the whole... lets take classes that dont apply to what were gonna learn (especially GE's)... EMS is all about learnig thigs that APPLY to what your going to be doing. It's a continual education and hardly 2 things are ever alike. If you're looking for money in this field, go FIRE, CC-P or Flight Medic.

Aside from that... welcome to the forum. Have a look around.... and for God's sake... PLEASE USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION for things like STETHOSCOPES, BOOTS, ETC...

Happy Travels :p

DV_EMT

CollegeBoy

Forum Lieutenant
I'm a college sophmore who has just been hit with the idea that becoming an EMT might be a cool career for me.

I agree with Summit and DV_EMT, stay in college. For someone who is in college and working towards a degree, EMT is not worth dropping out. My dad dropped out of engineering school to be a paramedic and to farm. He still says it is the worst choice he ever made. I myself am only in EMS to gain experience as a med school hopeful.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
I agree with Summit and DV_EMT, stay in college. For someone who is in college and working towards a degree, EMT is not worth dropping out. My dad dropped out of engineering school to be a paramedic and to farm. He still says it is the worst choice he ever made. I myself am only in EMS to gain experience as a med school hopeful.

This. Even if you become a career medic, having a Bachelor's can be pretty helpful for promotions and the like. A lot of us work as EMT's in college. I even know some people who do it as medics. It can be done, so don't drop out.

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
Finish school and if you have a useful degree you'll have a fall back plan. Also if you think EMS might be for you, while you're in school take your schools A&P course, statistics, maybe a technical writing course. A good idea is to look at the pre-reqs for nursing and take some of their courses. Look around at an EMT B course and take that while you're in school and maybe get a job as an EMT-B on the night shifts. It'll get you used to the profession and you can see if it's for you while still attending school. So by the time you've graduated you have gotten a degree, worked as a basic for two years, should have finished some science courses. If you're still interested in the career you can go straight into medic school and further your career.

This job isn't about the money, if you want assurance you can pay your bills without working 60 hours a week min then you might want to look on. Some places pay better than others, the national average for EMT's seems to be ont he low end (seems to hover around 9/hr commonly with a few dollar raise when you get your paramedic). It's a labor of love ;P

OP
OP
C

Captn' Tuddle

Forum Crew Member
Finding a degree to go after is the problem... I'm the kind of person who is interested in a little bit of everything . I've looked into about 4 different careers (Engineer, history teacher, journalist, and EMT) since graduating high school and I still can't make up my mind...:wacko: Is there a career where I can do a mix of all that? :unsure:

Summit

Critical Crazy
Finding a degree to go after is the problem... I'm the kind of person who is interested in a little bit of everything . I've looked into about 4 different careers (Engineer, history teacher, journalist, and EMT) since graduating high school and I still can't make up my mind...:wacko: Is there a career where I can do a mix of all that? :unsure:

You can be a Mining Engineer and be an EMT on your mine's MERT (mine emergency response team) as an extra task. Then write your company newsletter (journalism) and BS with the old miners about mine history.

I should be paid for this... that'll be a pizza and a coke!

Summit

Critical Crazy
Hmmmm, any openings for that anywhere?

Mining is doing better than most of the economy. If you can't grow it, you have to mine it. All mines have MERTs. MERTs are usually volunteer participation by miners. Many MERTs will pay their MERT members to go to EMT school.

There's mines all over the West and plenty in the East too. Pick any state. Unless it is purely corn fields or swampland, it has mines.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape

EMT: in a lot of areas, you can volunteer or work part-time as one while having another career.

Journalist: be a blogger, or write part-time for a local paper.

It's only really history teacher and engineer that you'd need a lot of school for, or to make a whole career for. I'd suggest taking some of the lower-division courses in both history and engineering and seeing how you like them. Depending on your school, it might even be possible to double-major and get the education for both.

At any rate, I'd suggest seeing if you can find some internships, or shadow people in those professions. Get a feel for whether it's something you really want.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Like others have said, don't drop out of college for EMS. I would suggest working as an EMT in school (which I will be doing when I finish the course), as you will be able to get experience. Like others have said, college could help you in the EMS field. Education definitely will.

Good luck, and welcome to the site!

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
If the desire for a "cool" career, with good pay and stability is your goal, I'd suggest the Post Office, they let you wear your hair long.

But, if you have to do it...and to be honest I'd say that, for now, it just may be a slice of life you HAVE TO know, then you'll do it.

No, it's not a logical career path to pursue because on the physical level, the pay and bennies don't add up. But, if your heart says "GO!", you're gone.

If you choose EMS, along the way I flat out guarantee you'll gather some extremely effective and important life skills.