The reality of EMS work?

grandpa_newby_EMT

Forum Ride Along
Hi, all. Being a grownup (allegedly), I know that what a recruiter tells you and what the reality is are two different things. With that in mind, I'd like to know:

1) What kind of shape do you need to be in to be able to do your job and not get hurt, i.e., when lifting a heavy patient? Do you wear a back brace routinely?

2) How are the shifts broken down (like firefighters, 4 on, 3 off)?

3) What equipment is essential for a newby like myself to have, so I can do the job and not look like a walking advertisement for a medical supply company?

Thanks.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Na, that's not reality, that's the tools of the trade. Reality is when you realize how precious life really is, and how easy it is for someone to lose everything in a tenth of a second.

1.) I didn't know we had a recruiter?

You only lift what you can safely handle, call for lifting assistance. They say you have to lift 150lbs, but you can still call for help. I never wear a back brace, I only lift what I can, why ruin your career?

2.) Depends: Usually only 8 or 12 hour shifts. As it goes, EMS is usually more busy than fire. I've never heard of anyone working more than 2 days straight, that would get unhealthy if you were busy for 48 hours straight. Unless of course you work more than one job.

3.) Shears, small flash light, goggles, vicks vaporub (make sure it is not the unscented kind), work boots with good traction, two pens, small note pad.

colafdp

Forum Lieutenant
Well put TTLWHKR. I think you summed it up really nice. And grandpa the shifts differ wherever you go. Like here for example we work 3 - 10 hour days, and then we work 3 - 14 hour nights, and then we get 5 off. So as you can see, the shifts do vary.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I think the question re: 3on/4off shifts is the rotating day/night platoon schedule....

"On 3 days" "Off 2 days" "on 3 nights" "off 4 nights" - This is a platoon schedule worked by 4 2-man platoons at my Fire Dept. All are FF/EMT's.

The county dispatchers work a similar rotating schedule.... 2days, 2 nights, 4 off.

I've seen some ambulance Co's work schedules like this... 4on, 4 off... sometimes rotating day/night, sometimes just day or just night.

At my other squad, the fulltimers work 4 10 hour shifts a week, either Mon-Thurs, or Tues-Fri. Parttimers cover 2 shifts on Monday, 2 shifts on friday, and 5 11-hour shifts on Sat and Sun.

Jon

OP
OP
G

grandpa_newby_EMT

Forum Ride Along
Thanks all for your comments. "Recruiter" probably was incorrect; "salesperson" is more like it. I've got a question re: the Vicks Vaporub. I know that it's used to mask the smell of odors, but do some EMTs/Paramedics wear a disposable mask instead? The reason I ask is that during my internship for my degree (Biological Forensics) at our county's ME's office, I assisted in 16 autopsies, including one where the decedent hadn't been found for nearly 2 weeks until someone noticed a "bad smell" (you know how the rest goes). I asked about the Vaporub before the autopsy and one of the autopsy techs told me that Vicks would open up your nasal passages, letting in more of the odor, so I relied on the required mask worn with the rest of the protective clothing. Yep, some of the odor did get through, albeit somewhat lessened, but (after a fashion), I got used to the smell and usually was so busy I didn't even notice it. Occasionally, I would gag maybe once or twice at the start of an autopsy, but I kept motoring on.

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
3) What equipment is essential for a newby like myself to have, so I can do the job and not look like a walking advertisement for a medical supply company?

an older PA whom used to meet us on entry would occiasionaly chortle " S/He lived despite EMS's best efforts!"

he was right too, and as anyone in the biz can attest 90% of what we do is a glorified taxi ride , all precuationary cha cha's aside.

we do what we're trained to do, and there's no greater clic of class A personalities that can spew protocals with the right moves than in ems , yet many fall short of that connection to the patient, you know the one that takes a real person that's not afraid to do so, instead of hiding behind the bling bling....

nobody is going to care how much you know until they know how much you care

~S~

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Good point with the vaporub, some say it helps, some say it doesn't.... It is a matter of personal pref.

I have a packet of "Odor Free" or whatever that stuff is (the odor neutralizer).... I've got it in my bag, in the trunk of my car.

I'm not a vapo-rub person.... I'll step outside if things get REALLY bad, for a moment of air, then I'm good to go.

Only thing I'd add to Alex's list..... A good stethascope, if the ones on the trucks are crap. One of my squads uses cheap scopes, the other carries Littmans in the jump bag. At the first squad, most of the EMT's carry a personal scope.

My Scope is "whackered out" with a scope light, BAAM and tape.

Jon

joeyjoejoe

Forum Ride Along
Originally posted by grandpa_newby_EMT@Oct 21 2005, 05:07 PM
Hi, all. Being a grownup (allegedly), I know that what a recruiter tells you and what the reality is are two different things. With that in mind, I'd like to know:

1) What kind of shape do you need to be in to be able to do your job and not get hurt, i.e., when lifting a heavy patient? Do you wear a back brace routinely?

Thanks.
1) I'm not a big guy. I don't work out. I get by, working in a busy service. I don't wear a back brace.

2) I work only 12 hour shifts on a constant schedule. Though never more than 5 days in a row.

3) Trauma shears, pen, pen light, gloves, Tarascon Pocket Pharmacopoeia. I don't wear a belt, it is all in pockets. The drug guide is wicked, I know my pharm, but it is extremely useful for the odd drugs/therapeutic doses for OD's, etc...

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon@Oct 21 2005, 07:55 PM
Good point with the vaporub,
It's better than smelling someone for an hour who lives in a animal feces and urine covered home.

Plus, you can get it anywhere, don't have to special order it.

emtbuff

Forum Captain
Originally posted by grandpa_newby_EMT@Oct 21 2005, 05:07 PM

Thanks.
1) for me I Tend to get on kicks of exercising and then for a while I don't exercise again. Which really hasn't mattered a whole lot to me. I work on a volley squad so some weeks we are busy and the next week we don't have anything going on. So as long as you are healthy there shouldn't be a problem. As for the lifting know your limits If you know that the four of you aren't going to be able to lift the pt and carry them down the few steps out to othe cot then get your fire department to respond and help with lifting.

2) Our shifts are broken down to 2 shifts a day. Day shift are 6a-6p and night shifts are 6p to 6a, and then there are the weekends where you are on call all weekend starting 6 saturday morning getting off at 6 on Monday morning. Our fire deparment doesn't run shifts It is just who ever is in town at the time the page goes off shows to the station and rides in a truck and anyone that misses the trucks can call in on the radio to see if more assistance is needed or alot of times those that live a bit a way tend to carry their gear with them and just arrive on scene.

3) Our ambulances carry nice stethoscopes but I would agree with others that if you don't have a nice scope in the rig then bring your own at least you will be able to hear. Pens are always a good thing. I have a problem with useing those stick pens that you can't retract the point so every time you stick it in your pocket you tend to put Marks on your jeans. so I tend to grab my own pens.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Don't carry anything that you're not prepared to lose...

Many EMS personnel have sticky fingers.

Go with a cheap Littman if you absolutely have to carry one, and insure it if it costs more than 50 bucks.

VinBin

Forum Captain
On the topic of sticky fingers, is it common to have things stolen, and if so, would it be wise of me to not leave any of my stuff lying around? I was hoping I wouldnt have to worry about having my stuff stolen all the time...

ndilley

Forum Crew Member
it all depends on where you work. I know that at my department you could lay a 50 on the kitchen counter and it would still be there in a month (somebody would of probably already called to give it back by that time) but you just have to get the feel of who you work with. every department is different