The Official EMTLIFE Introduction Thread

CANDawg

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm Derek, from Calgary, AB. Im 26, and right now I work full time as a manager at a bank.

However, I'm looking to make the change and move into EMS, and am just starting that process. I'm taking my EMR course this summer, and hopefully my EMT not long after. Being that I'm new to the field I don't have a ton to contribute, but I really appreciate a resource like this. I've learned a ton just by lurking. ;)

So.... hi!

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
I'm Derek, from Calgary, AB. Im 26, and right now I work full time as a manager at a bank.

However, I'm looking to make the change and move into EMS, and am just starting that process. I'm taking my EMR course this summer, and hopefully my EMT not long after. Being that I'm new to the field I don't have a ton to contribute, but I really appreciate a resource like this. I've learned a ton just by lurking. ;)

So.... hi!

Welcome dbo789 :)

O2andDogs

Forum Probie
Hello everyone!

My name is Joe, I am 31, and I enjoy jazz and long walks on the beach...

Ok, seriously. I have served in many different facets of public safety and private protection. However, it has been a dream of mine since I was a very small child to be involved in EMS. In fact, I can remember being about 5 and telling a family friend "I am going to be a paramedic!"

Almost 3 decades later, I am halfway through EMT-B training. I love it so far, and can't wait to get my hands dirty (with proper BSI, of course!)

I look forward to getting to know everyone :)

lkoszela

Forum Ride Along
hello

Hello All!
My name is Lukasz, Ive been an EMT-B for a year now. My future plans include going back to school for paramedic as well as radiology.

jtierney78

Forum Ride Along
Hi everyone! My name is Jason, Im 33 and Im an Emergency Medical Dispatcher in Glendale, AZ. New to the forum and looking forward to learning lots, meeting new people and contributing back as well. :)

bigbaldguy

Welcome to the forum guys. We look forward to your input :)

kparker91

Forum Ride Along
I'm Katherine. I'm 20 years young. I live in a town south of Atlanta and I'm currently thinkin over going into the EMT field. I have had alot of people that I always go to for advice tell me that I should go into this field. I already love helping people and blood and "nasty" body things do not bother me. Altho I have a fear of ambulances at the moment but I have also never stepped foot on one either. I will soon overcome that fear. Any advice for me is welcome I love hearing what others have to say about this field and I give all EMTs BIG props :)

unit12

Forum Ride Along
an official intro

Hi all, I am "Unit12" in NYS - I am an EMT in a volunteer community corps since 1986... before you go all, "Ugh, a vollie", let me say I believe in being a professional, keeping up on my training and treating my patients with the best care possible. My town, like ALL the community corps in my county, are volunteer in order to keep the tax base down and (try to) keep it affordable to live here. My husband, 2 grown kids and their significant others also vollie for the corps.

My kids also are career EMS and I am a d*mn proud mom; daughter also vollies as a FF while son is a line officer in our corps. Ok, enough bragging.

I work as a writer (both as a journalist & as a novelist) and have a monthly column in the First Responder News.

Thank you for allowing me to join you at this forum.

britmedic

Forum Probie
Hi all

Hi I'm a paramedic in the uk. Been in service for 12 years. Emt for most of my career and recently became a paramedic. 36 years young and mum to 2 small kids. Looking forward to reading and contributing to your forum. I'm looking for a career and maybe location move so will be tapping into all the great info you have on here.

Thanks

unit12

Forum Ride Along
Kudos on becoming a paramedic!

My daughter, a paramedic here in the USA, visited the London area a few years back and met a few in the London EMS system, she came home with a lot of good thoughts about the folks she met.

Hi I'm a paramedic in the uk. Been in service for 12 years. Emt for most of my career and recently became a paramedic. 36 years young and mum to 2 small kids. Looking forward to reading and contributing to your forum. I'm looking for a career and maybe location move so will be tapping into all the great info you have on here.

Thanks

unit12

Forum Ride Along
Just adding

Just wanted to say that my version of an EMS volunteer AND professional does not accept the excuse "I'm just a vollie" We are still out there hoping to save the same real lives as our paid counterparts.

Thanks to all who have welcomed me here, I didn't have enough posts to respond via PM.

Hi all, I am "Unit12" in NYS - I am an EMT in a volunteer community corps since 1986... before you go all, "Ugh, a vollie", let me say I believe in being a professional, keeping up on my training and treating my patients with the best care possible. My town, like ALL the community corps in my county, are volunteer in order to keep the tax base down and (try to) keep it affordable to live here. My husband, 2 grown kids and their significant others also vollie for the corps.

My kids also are career EMS and I am a d*mn proud mom; daughter also vollies as a FF while son is a line officer in our corps. Ok, enough bragging.

I work as a writer (both as a journalist & as a novelist) and have a monthly column in the First Responder News.

Thank you for allowing me to join you at this forum.

Avenrii

Forum Probie
Howdy!

This is a direction that I never thought my life would go in, but everything I've done has lead towards me being someone who helps others. My last job in particular, hospital security, showed me that there are people who are strong enough to endure long hours, the "good" and "bad" side of patient care, and that even during the worst days, that the job can still be rewarding. I've seen and have done some things that people outside healthcare would never believe, but every day has been worth it.

After so much exposure to emergency management, I've decided to go beyond the scope of security to actual healthcare. I begin classes early this June and am looking forward to being a part of EMTLIFE so that I can continue to learn and grow with a great community!

Heylove

Forum Probie
Brand new!

Hi, I'm Marlena, going through major changes in my life, including a career change. I have been a 911 emergency calltaker for police/fire/sheriff for over six years. I have recently relocated to Southern California and decided to get out from under the headset! I start my EMT-1 class at College of the Canyons in June. I have some concerns including my age (36) and I feel like I'm walking into a career filled with a much younger average age. I am concerned about whether or not there will be jobs available once my training is complete. Although it is not a "real" concern, I want to say upfront that yes, I know I'm taking a huge cut in pay (probably making 1/3 of what I was making in dispatch) so I sometimes ask myself why I am not going back into dispatch? Honestly, it's all about not being familiar with the geography of where I am living. If things go well, I'm looking at Paramedic school in 2013, but one step at a time, right!?

Any words of encouragement would be much appreciated!

unit12

Forum Ride Along
career change

Hi Marlena,

Go for it!

As far as your age, you are far from the 1st one to make this change. Although a friend of mine vollied as a younger man, he went into EMS as a career in his mid 30's and then became a paramedic in his 50's. He enjoys what he is doing and has no regrets.

The huge cut in pay stinks, but we have to work at what fulfills us - otherwise what use is killing ourselves to earn a salary for a lifestyle that really doesn't make us happy?

Good look in your new adventure - live life fully.

Hi, I'm Marlena, ...I have some concerns including my age (36) and I feel like I'm walking into a career filled with a much younger average age. ... I know I'm taking a huge cut in pay (probably making 1/3 of what I was making in dispatch) so I sometimes ask myself why I am not going back into dispatch? ... If things go well, I'm looking at Paramedic school in 2013, but one step at a time, right!?

bigbaldguy

Welcome to EMTLIFE all you new fresh faces :) we look forward to your input.

bigbaldguy

I'm Katherine. I'm 20 years young. I live in a town south of Atlanta and I'm currently thinkin over going into the EMT field. I have had alot of people that I always go to for advice tell me that I should go into this field. I already love helping people and blood and "nasty" body things do not bother me. Altho I have a fear of ambulances at the moment but I have also never stepped foot on one either. I will soon overcome that fear. Any advice for me is welcome I love hearing what others have to say about this field and I give all EMTs BIG props :)

It's a great field and you'll find this forum is a great resource :)

bigbaldguy

Just wanted to say that my version of an EMS volunteer AND professional does not accept the excuse "I'm just a vollie" We are still out there hoping to save the same real lives as our paid counterparts.

Thanks to all who have welcomed me here, I didn't have enough posts to respond via PM.

Hi unit12, as a fellow vollie I agree with you 100 percent. We should be held to the same standards as any paid provider. Welcome to the forum.

bigbaldguy

Hi, I'm Marlena, going through major changes in my life, including a career change. I have been a 911 emergency calltaker for police/fire/sheriff for over six years. I have recently relocated to Southern California and decided to get out from under the headset! I start my EMT-1 class at College of the Canyons in June. I have some concerns including my age (36) and I feel like I'm walking into a career filled with a much younger average age. I am concerned about whether or not there will be jobs available once my training is complete. Although it is not a "real" concern, I want to say upfront that yes, I know I'm taking a huge cut in pay (probably making 1/3 of what I was making in dispatch) so I sometimes ask myself why I am not going back into dispatch? Honestly, it's all about not being familiar with the geography of where I am living. If things go well, I'm looking at Paramedic school in 2013, but one step at a time, right!?

Hello Heylove, there is no reason why your age should be a factor at all. If anything your age could be an advantage in many ways not the least of which is you will be less likely to injure yourself because you're aware you aren't invulnerable. Good luck with your new direction.