The Official EMTLIFE Introduction Thread

MidwestFF

Forum Crew Member
Hello to all.

I have been lurking around for the last several months watching and reading. Today was my first day in EMT class. I have opted to go through the local CC instead of the department sponsored route as the program is supposed to be better although more difficult. I always like a good challenge.

Our class started this morning with 24 people, of the 24
3 did not show up and were droped
2 walked out after they found that the course required an 85% to pass.
2 walked out after the negligence and duty to act part of the lecture.

We are now down to 17 people in our class, I am wondering what it will be by the time we are done.

Bye for now, but I bet I will have some questions once the class gets going.

Danson

Forum Crew Member
Nice to meet you!

When my class started we had 56 people and ended up with 24. If your class goes anything like mine did you may be the only one left at the end!

Good luck with class!

Porkchop

Forum Crew Member
I knew there was a thread like this, I just couldn't find it! Anyway,

Hey everyone, my name is Jon and I'm a brand spankin' new EMT-Basic in sunny San Diego. I'm 20, and a full-time college student majoring in Psychology. No job yet, I only just started applying. I still need to get my ambulance drivers license/certificate.

As for future plans, I'm not entirely sure. I've wanted to be a police officer for a while, but I really enjoyed EMT school, and have always been interested in Anatomy and Physiology, so I might end up in the medical field in one way or another. Thanks for reading, happy new year, and be safe.

Digger

Forum Probie
Hallo all-

Ive been checkin the forum out for awhile, thought I would post and introduce myself.

Im an EMT-B in San Diego, 23 y/o looking for my first job in EMS. Actually, have an interview today with Pacific... can't wait to get some experience, hope to go to medic school or possibly nursing. We'll see how this pans out!

OrlandoRMAMedic

Forum Crew Member
My name is Shannon. I started my ems career as a 1st responder, very briefly, in Dutchess County NY in 1990 (like 2 months). Moved back to Florida and kind of got away from it due to not really knowing where to go and what to do to continue. I did manage to maintain my CPR, tho.
I wrecked my car in 1997 - high speed roll-over into a ditch. Only injury was to my elbow when I leaned on my windshield to sit up (yeah I was unrestrained). I ended up moving back in with my parents for a while and was working at a local sub shop when one day a crew from the local volunteer squad came in to get lunch. I inquired about requirements and the main station location. Within a few months I was doing "attendant" ride times.
I had many mentors there that taught me a plethora of skills and assessment tricks. I eventually obtained my EMT in 1999 and then 2 years later went to Medic school.
I am currently employed for a private company in Orlando that does 911 for the city fire dept and inter-facility transfers for the local trauma center and their ancillary campuses. I have been a medic going on 8 yrs. I cannot picture myself doing anything else. I absolutely love what I do.

airraid

Forum Ride Along
My name is Leighton, I'm a 27 year old EMT-B student in Gainesville, FL at the Santa Fe College EMS program. So far I'm loving it - I've already decided I want to go beyond to medic school, but first I'll see how I do with this. I'm more excited than I ever was getting my BA (Dec 09). This line of work is for me. Interacting with people and making connections, no matter how brief, is one of the best rewards I get out of life.

I can't wait to get more experience. I do my first hospital clinical this weekend 1900 to 0700. It's going to be awesome. This forum is a great resource - I'm so glad I stumbled on to it.

SammyGirlMedic

Forum Probie
I'm Samantha. 31 years old from the Youngstown, Ohio area. I became an EMT-Basic in 1999 and EMT-Paramedic in 2005. I worked private EMS for 8 years and now work part time for a fire department. Also, I work as an LPN in a Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. As of today, I am 15 months away from earning my nursing degree; I attend school full time.
I am a newlywed; hubby is also a part time paramedic and full time Firefighter.
When I am not studying or working, I love to spend time with my identical twin sister and her kids. I like to cook, read, and exercise!

wildrivermedic

Forum Crew Member
Hello all,
I've finally joined after much lurking and learning.
Much of that has been done while waiting for calls, vulture-like. I started volunteering as an EMT-B with the local ambulance service in October. It's been a great way to serve the community, but I find myself wishing for a higher call volume and more experience. Then I realize that means more people sick and injured, and cringe. I think a better solution is for me to volunteer at the ED 2 hours away, or try to pick up shifts with the commercial service there...

Yep, 2 hour transport time to the county hospital (by road in good weather)! That means we fly out everyone we can (about half an hour to definitive care in a bigger city). The helicopters don't fly in bad weather, which is about half the year here at the edge of the Pacific Northwest. So we have a kick-a** vollie crew willing to drop everything and drive that winding road.

I chose to go the Wilderness EMT route through WMI/NOLS due to our remote location, and the possibility of picking up backcountry medic work for camps and trips. That has worked out pretty well for me. The user name comes from a comment by the paramedic I did my ridealong with. To balance it out, the picture is me showing a pericardium to some kids after slaughtering a goat for dinner. ;)

Gieves

Forum Ride Along
Intro

Heyo- my name is Genevieve. I just got nationally certified after jumping through many hoops to finish the NREMT crap. I've been following the forum before hand to get help in getting certified. Right now my CT renewal certification is pending and I'm off to get certified in CO to work at AMR out there. Not ecstatic about working for AMR but it's a good place to start and my hope if that I can transfer back out to Hawaii where I live. Yes I move around a lot but I feel like Hawaii is my home but they don't accept inexperienced EMTs out there and working at a register or working as an emt... hmmm? Only AEMTs or Paramedics out there. I'm thinking of going for a paramedic for a short career after college- my major is business. KCC in hawaii offers a great deal on paramedic school- meh I have options. I'm still at that point in my life where I have so many decisions to make regarding what I want to do with my life. Anyway- happy posting!
Aloha~

ericwasbored

Forum Ride Along
Hey everyone, I'm Eric I've been working as a basic for about 7 months now in Solano county on a bus. I love it, it’s the first line of "work" I've been in that doesn’t feel like work... I'm 22, a student, trying to rack up experience and learn as much as I can. I love this community (I've been learking since I was an EMT student:ph34r:), there so much to learn here. I glad to have finally joined..

SammyGirlMedic

Forum Probie
Hi all.
I am 31 from the Youngstown, Ohio area. I became a basic EMT in 1999 and a paramedic n 2005. I am also an LPN working in a Level III NICU, studying to become an RN.
I worked private EMS full time for 9 years and now work part time for a local fire department as a Paramedic.
I am a newlywed..hubby is also a Firefighter/Paramedic.

My first thought joining this forum was, "Ok this will be nice having fellow EMS workers to chat with, joke with, run scenarios by..etc." After posting once, I realized this may not be the case. People are very quick to prove how much they know, and how much I don't (lol) but I have managed to find some nice people.

So, to other new people.... stand your ground.. stay afloat; don't let anyone push you under!! :)

EMT Fan15

Forum Crew Member
Hi all.
I am 31 from the Youngstown, Ohio area. I became a basic EMT in 1999 and a paramedic n 2005. I am also an LPN working in a Level III NICU, studying to become an RN.
I worked private EMS full time for 9 years and now work part time for a local fire department as a Paramedic.
I am a newlywed..hubby is also a Firefighter/Paramedic.

My first thought joining this forum was, "Ok this will be nice having fellow EMS workers to chat with, joke with, run scenarios by..etc." After posting once, I realized this may not be the case. People are very quick to prove how much they know, and how much I don't (lol) but I have managed to find some nice people.

So, to other new people.... stand your ground.. stay afloat; don't let anyone push you under!! :)

Welcome to the Forums!
I'm not even into the EMS field yet, lol, but I will be enrolling into a program when I turn 16 this fall.

NC_EMT

Forum Probie
Hey yall my name is Jack. I live in/around Franklin county North Carolina. I am currently in Emt-b class and upon completion I plan to enroll in medic classes. A couple of my friends opened my eyes to the EMS field, including a couple family members. I never thought about it before that and now I can't seem to stop. I think EMS is the most interesting and intriguing occupation I have ever been involved in (well soon). I think the thrill of the calls has most drawn me to this, as well as the gratification and pseudo-famous status the comes along. I am also from a small country town so Fire/Ems is a big to-do around here. Anyhow, I hope to get on with the county Rescue once I get done with classes and maybe move up to medic when I get done with emt-p. I'm glad to be here and hope I can learn a bunch from yall.

TheG3RG

Forum Probie
Hey all, I'm Greg, 23 year old thats still in college who is taking EMT-B training at a local community college to become a firefighter. I had been looking into becoming a full paramedic originally but they pay seems too small to help out with my outrageous student loans( hint for you all, don;t take the extra money and then some :/ ). I'm still working on my Bachelor's, already have an AGS which won't get me anywhere.

Lately I've been thinking of sort of doing both firefighter and paramedic, which I heard will get me more pay since I have more skills. So any advice if I should get the Paramedic AAS degree then try to get into firefighting? Or should I do the less-credithours-required Fire Science AS degree?

xgpt

Forum Crew Member
I just thought this would be as good a place as ever to post this

I'm signed up for my EMT-B class! I can't wait!

CarlW

Forum Ride Along
Hi

I'm Nat. W., live in Florida, volunteer part-time EMT. I'm also a licensed pilot. Anyone else fly?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bruiser

Forum Ride Along
Hey guys, emt-b here. Passed the NR last year, worked a couple months for a shady ift company in L.A before finally quitting. currently looking for a new job but this storm isnt helping at all!!!

fire_911medic

Forum Crew Member
Hello,

I'm a repeat offender Lol - I joined the boards a good bit ago, left for a while and have now returned to see what's going on. Function in the middle of nowhere rural area and love every minute of it. Life's great !

TheG3RG

Forum Probie
Hello,

I'm a repeat offender Lol - I joined the boards a good bit ago, left for a while and have now returned to see what's going on. Function in the middle of nowhere rural area and love every minute of it. Life's great !

welcome back!

and im guessing you live in Kansas? going by your 'Somewhere over the rainbow' location lol