The flashlight thread

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
The TK series are dated. PD35 is where it's at. 14 lumens all the way up to 1000 lumens.
Oops. That's what you get for posting info from a few years ago :/

MkVity

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
I have recently been playing with this: http://www.sbflashlights.com/L3-Illumination/L3-Illumination-L10C-Colors-Nichia-219-p373.html (the four mode)

The two big benefits are that it has a super low mode that's excellent for pupils as well as brighter modes for other exam purposes (or finding your way home), and that it has an extremely high CRI (Color Rendering Index), giving it accurate color for skin tones and other colors. So far I like it a lot. Better than carrying multiple tools that don't work as well.

Kevinf

Forum Captain
I'm a flashlight hound (and bags, coats) and am always looking for the next one that's just a little better than the last. That said, I only carry a disposable penlight at work. It doesn't matter if I lose it or give it away as I have the rest of the 5 pack in my backpack and can just grab another. If I need more illumination I'll grab one of the lights out of the rig which will put out more lumens than anything I could reasonably EDC. The el cheapo disposable penlight is enough to look around the outside compartments of the rig in the dark and to check pupils.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
We have 3D maglites in all the ambulances but I a) rarely remember to grab one and b) have no place to put it once I do.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I never remember to grab one when I need it. :( that's why I like to keep the little surefire on me.

InNoViSiOn

Forum Crew Member
I never remember to grab one when I need it. :( that's why I like to keep the little surefire on me.

I carry a 6PX PRO every day and love how compact it is. On top of surefire probably being the most reliable and rugged brand out there, their customer service is top notch and they replace any defective products of theirs no questions asked. I feel like spending my dough on any flashlight that you really need to depend on other than a surefire is just wasting my money.

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
With the other options nowadays, Surefire is pretty overpriced.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Yeah, I got mine as a gift. The cost of a surefire is a bit much. The little Cree "tactical" lights on ebay are 10 bucks and work pretty well. For that price, they're practically disposable.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I simply cannot afford a Surefire since I don't have a prodeal...

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
SF used to be the only game in town for high quality flashlights... now I'm just not sure I see the benefit, unless you need something specific like a weapon light.