the FDNY ems operating guide ?

firecoins

IFT Puppet
thanks firecoins for the words of advice, I am sure I am cut out for this, I wont be needing any volunteering and etc, I hear they train you when they hire you... bu as for the ops guide, I cant seem to finish reading it all... 1660 pages is just too much. I suppose I will just refer to it if I need to, and just put it under the bed like everyone else seems to...

Cheers !

Get the experience. Don't just gloss over it. Get it. You need it. <_<

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Well, so far i have read through the first half of it.. OMFG it is too long! But the MERV section has some cool pics. And did you know EMS gets issued body armor for free? Like what happened to scene safety? Lol.. Body armor my donkey, they even have a tactical outer vest! Like WHY?? Lololol... SIR, im TAKING your vitals!!

When police are on scene with you it means there are that many more guns.

thanks firecoins for the words of advice, I am sure I am cut out for this, I wont be needing any volunteering and etc, I hear they train you when they hire you... bu as for the ops guide, I cant seem to finish reading it all... 1660 pages is just too much. I s
uppose I will just refer to it if I need to, and just put it under the bed like everyone else seems to...

Cheers !

ok. So you and several emts are going for a few positions. The other emts have work and or volly experience, a clean driving record, no reprimands or anything like that. Who do you think they are going to hire? THe emts with experience or the one who is 1 to 2 years out of school with no work or volly experience. It is not very often a person can walk into their dream job. You have to pay your dues.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
thanks firecoins for the words of advice, I am sure I am cut out for this, I wont be needing any volunteering and etc, I hear they train you when they hire you... bu as for the ops guide, I cant seem to finish reading it all... 1660 pages is just too much. I suppose I will just refer to it if I need to, and just put it under the bed like everyone else seems to...

Cheers !

This kind of attitude is specifically whats going to keep you out of FDNY. They have hundreds of thousands of applications for EMS because everyone wants to work for them. Most are using it a stepping stone into the better pay, schedule, and working conditions of fire suppression. with no experience your application will go straight into the trash

rennex

Forum Crew Member
This kind of attitude is specifically whats going to keep you out of FDNY. They have hundreds of thousands of applications for EMS because everyone wants to work for them. Most are using it a stepping stone into the better pay, schedule, and working conditions of fire suppression. with no experience your application will go straight into the trash
Hundreds of thousands? The firefighter exam got around 61,000 applications and that's a much more desired position :wacko:

His application won't be discarded, it'll sit at the score of 70 in the DCAS ranking system since I'm assuming he has a driver's license along with his tech card. There are many people in his boat since the city doesn't give you credit for ems experience unless you work a couple months in nyc 911 with a hospital or a year in IFT/volunteer.

I read something about a two year wait in this thread, but I've heard from a FDNY representative at a job fair that they expect more than 500 people to be "promoted" from the EMS division to fire suppression. That is a big number to fill.

OP
OP
M

Miscusi

Forum Lieutenant
I do hear it all over the place, the last person I spoke to, said fdny was hiring emts left and right...

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I do hear it all over the place, the last person I spoke to, said fdny was hiring emts left and right...

That may be true but emts with experience have the edge over a newbie. From reading other threads nyc seems pretty saturated with emts. Some working a few years for a private before getting on with the city. Who knows you might get lucky.

OP
OP
M

Miscusi

Forum Lieutenant
Get the experience. Don't just gloss over it. Get it. You need it. <_<

no no.. the experience will come in the 3 months after the training they provide. They give you a special bus that has a supervisor in it, and they keep an eye on everything you do... make sure you do things the FDNY way.

getting "experience" that isnt the same way as FDNY's way would just mess people up when they have to unlearn, and relearn everything...

I have patience, I will wait for the FDNY.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
no no.. the experience will come in the 3 months after the training they provide. They give you a special bus that has a supervisor in it, and they keep an eye on everything you do... make sure you do things the FDNY way.

getting "experience" that isnt the same way as FDNY's way would just mess people up when they have to unlearn, and relearn everything...

Really?

You're kidding right?

You know there's more to the world than FDNY, right? Better pay, better working conditions, better protocols, lower cost of living...all that jazz?

You realize that patient contacts are patient contacts? Thousands of people change agencies throughout their careers without having issues learning how their new agency operates.

I have something I want to say but I know it will get me into trouble.

No wonder older generations look at our generation and shake their heads.

Last edited by a moderator:

dmc2007

Forum Captain

The experience you gain working for the privates will far outweigh the 1 or 2 bad habits you develop. You will in no way an experienced EMT once you graduate field training.

firecoins

IFT Puppet

The FDNY way can always be learned. DO NOT make the mistake of believing FDNY way is only right way to do things.

You mentioned medic school. It is the fastest way into FDNY and at higher pay. Get some BLS experience. Do medic school. Go into FDNY. Best thing you can do.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
I am beginning to think this is a troll...and maybe I shouldn't feed it.

FDNY isn't even the best EMS provider in the City, so lets bring that noise down a notch. Your FDNY provided training will in no way make you an experienced provider. Unless I'm not aware, there isn't a huge difference between how FDNY THEORETICALLY does EMS and any other agency does. The medicine is all the same.

This kind of attitude will not endear you to other providers in the City, hospital staff, ect, some of which you will have to deal with and are very good. It also may aggravate your co-workers

OP
OP
M

Miscusi

Forum Lieutenant
Many years have passed and now my Ops guide is outdated.. would anyone happen to have a current version? I previously purchased it with the FDNY Foundation for $15, they mailed me a CD. I cant find that link anymore...

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I'm curious, it's been 5 years since you posted about how you wanted to get onto FDNY EMS, have you made any progress? Are you working as an EMT anywhere currently, or still waiting for your number to be called for FDNY EMT academy? did you go to paramedic school? Did you take any of the advice the people gave to you?

and what have you been doing with the last 5 years of your life?

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm going with no for the simple reason that if he was working for FDNY, a) getting the rule book would be a no brainer and b) the overwhelming majority of the rules would be second nature by now and the book would be largely irrelevant.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
This thread was so exciting.