the best stories of seekers

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I actually dislocated my shoulder in the ER recently after bringing in a patient. Popped in back in myself and went back to work.

Ow. You should get that checked out. Shoulder, hip and knee injuries will put you out faster than Old Yeller.

JPINFV

Gadfly
"I'm allergic to everything except dilaudid, and I'm allergic to that when it's pushed too slow. It has to be pushed fast."

This is actually making the rounds. We're hearing kind of regularly.

What about that F drug? Flant... flint... fent?

TechYourself

NRP, FP-C
I had the mother of a middle age man grab me while I was returning a wheelchair to where we keep them in the entry way to say that her son was in immense pain and needed help out of the car.

I got to the car and he stood up, got out and got in to the wheelchair, then started asking for meds, all while the mother kept yelling "give him a shot!"

I wheeled him over to triage, where he was told to visit registration. When I parked him over at the registration window, he "passed out", and pushed himself out of the wheelchair :rolleyes:

His theatrics got him a room a shot of morphine, and a narc letter.

When he miraculously woke up after the morphine his mom kept asking "How's the high?"

We had another patient that had some burns on his arms and legs that he said he got from smoking near an open gas can come back the next day saying that needed something stronger than his vicodin (which was all gone) under a different name. He didn't realize that the nurse in triage that he was talking to, was the same nurse that treated him the morning before.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
These all sound so familiar.
On fall calls, I'd ascertain the pt was not detectably hurt, have a coworker watch them, and go run up and review the security footage. I wish I could have posted some of that on Youtube, awesome "barrel rolls" down the stairs after they make sure the way is clear, and the classic "slump to the side with head protected" after looking around for foreign objects to avoid.

One guy was so worked up after we called BS on him so many times that he finally fell off his upper bunk and hit his head, had a goose egg haematoma. He was actually decent for about an hour after that, quietly accepted tylenol and some ice. Weeks later, he tried to smear Hep-B positive blood on me and got three months added for assault.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
You know you were waiting for it....

legend-of-the-seeker-season-2-wallpaper-1.jpg

Mr Spence on the far left always looked a little like a heroin addict to me...even more than with Mad Max.