The acceptability of substance use for recreation...cannabis thread follow up

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
So the cannabis thread got me thinking about the general use of any substance for recreational use. Is it acceptable? Should it be? What substances should, or should not be?

Alcohol is the largest item here. It's use is socially accepted despite its long-term effects and short-term results.

What about Cannabis?

What about other illegal drugs like heroine, etc.?

The avenues of discussion can be many, but would most likely revolve around health, social, and financial arguments.

I've never used drugs (illegal) recreationally, it's just not my thing, but I find I have little opposition to their legalization, control, and taxation. This opinion is based more on political and economic reasons because the expensive war-on-drugs doesn't work, and people can still get what is wanted, so why not control the production and distribution, and gain tax revenue?

I'm looking forward to opinions. Please discuss :beerchug:

Achilles

Forum Moron
You're welcome :rofl: j/k

I agree the war on drugs is like a giant hole that we just throw money into.
Example, an local department around here busted a kid for some Marijuanna, well that let to a dealer, and to another dealer and so on, now it's all the way in Texas. (This was a few years back so I'm not sure of the outcome)
Marijuanna is pretty obtainable, in fact someone mentioned in the other thread.
A police department shouldn't be going crazy on an ounce of Marijuanna. They need to be helping where they are needed, eg. speeding in school zones, assaults, robberies, murders, etc...
That's my opinion in the war on drugs.

SSwain

Forum Captain
I have been asked if I ever experimented with drugs (25 plus years ago) in High School.

I look them square in the eye and say "Experiment? No. What I did could have been considered full fledged research."

That being said, I have no problem legalizing marijuana. Tax the ever loving crap out of it, and while you are at it, tax cigarettes (even more) and alcohol even higher.

Then make laws for driving under the influence of MJ the same as a DUI. And make them stronger. Double the fines on a DUI, and put 50% of fines generated into EMS/Fire/Police budgets.

Anonymous

Forum Captain
Reduce violent crime associated with black market drug sales
reduce prison overcrowding
not only increase but save tax money
free up officers and other police resources
increase consumer safety
slow the erosion of civil liability in the name of "The War on Drugs"
etc
etc
etc
etc
etc

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
From an employment standpoint, not much changes with regards to employment and the use of marijuana, at least here in Colorado. Your employer can still fire you for a positive drug test, just as they could if you blew a BAC of over .08.

The issue of course being is that someone could smoke marijuana and be tested two weeks later and fail. That person is not under the influence of drugs, yet they are still fired. This I do not like. I've worked with my fair share of hungover partners that were absolutely worthless, but if they were to be breathalyzed I doubt they would had any trouble keeping it below .08. Someone that smoked a week ago is not a risk to his or her patient's.

9D4

Forum Asst. Chief
I don't see why not. Being as I'm still in high school, I'm not too far removed from that... umm... phase. I personally don't think there is one legitimate reason for marijuana prohibition. I can personally attest it is a whole lot easier for someone to pick up some weed, than it is some alcohol.

I also had some friends that moved on to some harder stuff, which is where the "gateway-drug" theory comes in, things like ecstasy, coke, etc... Seeing that I realized that if marijuana had not been illegal, they most likely would not have had contact with those substances to begin with. The only reason they did, was because they went through some shady people that laced marijuana, or got them to try it to begin with. Keep in mind this was only sophomore year when this started. The majority of them, by junior year, had dropped out.
A few weeks ago 60 minutes had a really non-partial review on the medical marijuana system in Colorado.
Besides that, the only major reason for it not being reclassified, even though they just had a federal debate on whether to classify it to sched. II, is big pharma and lobbyists of them, because they recognize the helpfullness found in THC.
The only problem is there is no accurate testing for marijuana, only the chemical compound THC, which is stored in body fat, so you can test positive over a month after quitting.

Last edited by a moderator:

TechMedic

Forum Lieutenant
I believe in self-ownership and responsible drug usage. A person should have the freedom to do as he pleases as long as it does not interfere with the rights of others. No one has a higher claim on your life than you, and you to others.

If one does choose to use drugs, they should be done responsibly.

http://norml.org/marijuana/personal/item/principles-of-responsible-use?category_id=729

P.S.

This is a shocker to some, but cigarettes and alcohol are drugs, and are classified as hard drugs along with heroin, meth, cocaine, ect.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Different drugs do different things...hence "pharmacy class"? You cannot equate say methamphetamines with cannabis, or alcohol, or cocaine. Or hallucinogens.

I've known people who did drugs, and heavily, and came out of it years later in good shape. I've seen people smoke pot and drop off the end of the earth almost immediately; one had a full scholarship from high school to Yale.

I can see licensing taxing and ENFORCING marijuana legalization, if only to get those stupid medical MJ advocates off the street-corners whenever the issue comes up.:rofl:

I grew up in the Sixties and I have to say I've never been a stoner , or a drinker or smoker, I've never liked being around drunks, and I think it is the epitome of foolishness to intentionally trust someone to tell me how to meddle with my consciousness for "fun". Yet, every single culture has ways to do it, so I guess I'm in the minority.

9D4

Forum Asst. Chief
I forgot to mention that part.
I'm completley fine with responsible use. When I used to, I never smoked knowing I had to drive within a minimum of 4 hours. I also managed to keep my stuff together, though. Pulled a 3.6 GPA through the majority of highschool with AP/ honors/ dual enrolled. I'm now at a 3.3 (I'm too burnt out on school. 11 hours a day of lectures wears you down.)
Of course, I don't at all anymore
My parents were fine with it, though, so that's probably a big reason why I was so "responsible" with it. I quoted that, because in reality you can't be responsible with an illegal drug, but...

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
I don't see why not. Being as I'm still in high school, I'm not too far removed from that... umm... phase. I personally don't think there is one legitimate reason for marijuana prohibition. I can personally attest it is a whole lot easier for someone to pick up some weed, than it is some alcohol.

I also had some friends that moved on to some harder stuff, which is where the "gateway-drug" theory comes in, things like ecstasy, coke, etc... Seeing that I realized that if marijuana had not been illegal, they most likely would not have had contact with those substances to begin with. The only reason they did, was because they went through some shady people that laced marijuana, or got them to try it to begin with. Keep in mind this was only sophomore year when this started. The majority of them, by junior year, had dropped out.
A few weeks ago 60 minutes had a really non-partial review on the medical marijuana system in Colorado.
Besides that, the only major reason for it not being reclassified, even though they just had a federal debate on whether to classify it to sched. II, is big pharma and lobbyists of them, because they recognize the helpfullness found in THC.
The only problem is there is no accurate testing for marijuana, only the chemical compound THC, which is stored in body fat, so you can test positive over a month after quitting.

Not saying anything against legalization. But just so you know:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20621421

Benefits to legalization is you can attempt to keep the kids away.