the 100% directionless thread

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Anyways, back off topic....

It was interesting today to overhear a call on the radio only to get a breaking news push notification alert on my phone about said call 20 min later (West bound 10 Freeway in East LA completely shut down due to a big rig fire....)

Just as we were packing up and getting ready to leave for the night, it almost felt like cheating when I overheard a 5 car traffic collision get toned out on the eastbound 210 Fwy on the border of Arcadia and Monrovia, followed maybe all of 60 seconds later by a car fire on same freeway just a little further away.. aka the route I take home from work, so I knew well in advance that yup, I'm getting off the freeway to take surface streets at this spot, only to see a 65mph freeway turn into a sea of brake lights...after my chosen exit..and then get back on the freeway past the reported spots and find a nice wide open, almost no cars on it at all freeway. Sometimes I just love our regional dispatch center lol

Only to find out when I get home and see the news that holy $@!! the 405 freeway, not just one of the busiest freeways in LA...but one of the nations busiest as well (or so they say), both directions, completely shut down in the Sepulveda pass (where there's practically no on/off ramps and like one road that parallels the freeway through the hills) resulting in miles of cars just sitting still for hours due to a fatal crash on one side of that fwy that apparently (according to the nightly news) sent debris into the other direction causing another crash there....yup, that'll shut down a freeway, just happened to be at one of the worst spots possible for it. Reeealllly glad I don't have to drive anywhere near there..

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Got to love the Southern California interstates and I'm kinda surprised that CHP actually closed the 405 both ways, you never hear of chippies closing anything other than a donut shop.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
405 was closed for the fatality investigation...the 10 earlier was because the big rig caught fire underneath a bridge so Caltrans had to make sure it wasn't structurally compromised (news showed images of county FFs climbing inside a maintenance access to deal with smouldering of the bridge itself)

Heck last couple freeway collisions I've been on, even though everything was all in the shoulder, the chippies happily did full traffic stops...not that I'm complaining about them keeping rubberneckers from zooming past me at full speed maybe a lanes width (often less as they already wanna get back in the lane) away..

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
405 was closed for the fatality investigation...the 10 earlier was because the big rig caught fire underneath a bridge so Caltrans had to make sure it wasn't structurally compromised (news showed images of county FFs climbing inside a maintenance access to deal with smouldering of the bridge itself)

Heck last couple freeway collisions I've been on, even though everything was all in the shoulder, the chippies happily did full traffic stops...not that I'm complaining about them keeping rubberneckers from zooming past me at full speed maybe a lanes width (often less as they already wanna get back in the lane) away..

The fatality I get but it appears I missed the part where debris was sent into the opposite direction so now the complete closure makes sense. I hate to say it but I've really never had that experience with CHP mind you Ive only had a hand full to say the least but for me its usually the hurry up and go so we can open lanes.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
From my home to my work there is only 1 freeway to take and one of the areas has zero side roads so you have to jump on the freeway.

The upside to having a truck is that I can use an old beat up service road that turns into a really beat up dirt road used by the railroad company that takes you on the gravel for about 10 feet (have to make sure there is no train) to get by. I've only had to use it once because of traffic when the whole freeway was shut down for +4 hours on a holiday weekend.

I've driven the road a couple of times during the day so that it's not new to me if I ever have to use it during the dark.

Only thing is that I don't know if it's illegal to use it or not. I did have a deputy in his unit follow me down it when the freeway was shut down and I didn't get pulled over so..

Also I have yet to have a bad experience with CHP closing lanes for us. On all my calls they have asked how much we need closed and if we needed them to do anything. Even if the TC is on the shoulder I still prefer to close a lane of traffic.

MkVity

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.
Where that Michael Jackson popcorn meme when I need it...

comment_bbpJFeEfWbGWnE34gJcJ2yFNi0ORFjbA.gif

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
the last four pages

There's been a good discussion going over the last day or so, and we appreciate everyone sticking to the rules.

With that said, what movie are you guys looking forward to seeing this year?

MkVity

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.
There's been a good discussion going over the last day or so, and we appreciate everyone sticking to the rules.

@Chimpie The new Mad Max cant wait... :cool:

Anjel

Forum Angel

50 Shades of Grey!!!!!!!!

Angel

Paramedic
lol i refuse to see that (shades) ...but i want to see selma...not sure what else is coming out...i have no cable to watch commercials =(

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader

I'm still trying to figure that out...

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
So looks like I'll be hanging around San Antonio...wife just captured, domesticated and knit a sweater for her unicorn and that's not likely to happen soon again. Looks like I get to make the best of the Alamo City...

Anjel

Forum Angel
6c8b0e53112229c5f0a59dc0072fbaa4.jpg

Your job could just be a fat unicorn

Rhonda

Forum Lieutenant
Heard a call go out on the radio just now. " female N/V abd pain wants county FD to transport because we charge for our services."
These people. :mad:o_O