the 100% directionless thread

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I have no idea either, I had to google it. 10 mmol/l is about 180mg/dl. Apparently to convert them you have to convert mg to g, and then multiply that by some obnoxiously long number to get moles, and then convert it to milimoles. The liter to deciliter is much easier.

Sounds like grains. I think it's grains? For medications.

I have no idea how it's measured and have no idea how I would convert it to mg or gm if I had to.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Packing for a two month expedition of sorts to New Zealand's south island. Haven't lived out of a backpack for awhile, I can't wait. Backpacking, bungy jumping, glacier walking, and several days of sea kayaking...yup I'll be picking up as many shifts as I can come summer time.

Fox800

Forum Captain
Packing for a two month expedition of sorts to New Zealand's south island. Haven't lived out of a backpack for awhile, I can't wait. Backpacking, bungy jumping, glacier walking, and several days of sea kayaking...yup I'll be picking up as many shifts as I can come summer time.

I'm heading down there on the 28th of this month for 16 days. Both islands. I can't wait.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Sounds like grains. I think it's grains? For medications.

I have no idea how it's measured and have no idea how I would convert it to mg or gm if I had to.

Grains? Where did you come up with that? Lol. The obnoxioisly long number is the conversion factor for moles. It is 6 something something something times 10 to the 23rd.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I'm heading down there on the 28th of this month for 16 days. Both islands. I can't wait.

I've been living here and going to school (nominally haha) for the last nine weeks and it's been some of the best times of my life. I'm sure you've got plenty of stuff planned, but if you need more shoot me a message.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
"Dude, you never smile, you never look happy"
"Oh, that's just because I was born without emotions"

Should I be more concerned that that reply just came naturally and completely deadpan, or that a friend actually told me I never look happy?

Last edited by a moderator:

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Well this Easter is starting off wonderfully...

Anjel

Forum Angel
Thats not bad at all

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Grains? Where did you come up with that? Lol. The obnoxioisly long number is the conversion factor for moles. It is 6 something something something times 10 to the 23rd.

I guess it's a janky old way to measure meds? I had a med math problem with grains as the unit on a test once and had absolutely no idea what to do with it.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Last edited by a moderator:

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Grains are a medical measurement and you should have been taught them. Many older docs will prescribe so many grains of morphine and you better know how to convert.

I think one grain = 60mg.

1/150 grain nitro pill = 60/150 = 0.4mg standard dose.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
I guess it's a janky old way to measure meds? I had a med math problem with grains as the unit on a test once and had absolutely no idea what to do with it.

No, I know what grains are. I just can't figure out why you brought them up.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
"Dude, you never smile, you never look happy"
"Oh, that's just because I was born without emotions"

Should I be more concerned that that reply just came naturally and completely deadpan, or that a friend actually told me I never look happy?

Next time tell them "I would find your comment hurtful if I weren't so dead inside"

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
No, I know what grains are. I just can't figure out why you brought them up.

We were talking about uncommon measurements! Now you're just making me feel like the oddball.

Grains are a medical measurement and you should have been taught them. Many older docs will prescribe so many grains of morphine and you better know how to convert.

http://www.tostepharmd.net/pharm/clinical/measurement.html
I know what grains are and in a pinch it's pretty easy too find the conversion for it.

With that said I have yet to ever hear any orders in grains and we have plenty of older physicians in our area.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
"hey bob how many cubits of gauze is on this roll"?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
We were talking about uncommon measurements! Now you're just making me feel like the oddball.

I know what grains are and in a pinch it's pretty easy too find the conversion for it.

With that said I have yet to ever hear any orders in grains and we have plenty of older physicians in our area.

If a doc orders 24 grains of X, would it be okay for me to confirm the order as a pennyweight of X?