the 100% directionless thread

emt_angel25

Forum Lieutenant
MI flown from the scene?

Are you THAT far from a cath lab?!

uh yes, yes we are. the closest one to us is 40 min away with NO traffic to deal with

xgpt

Forum Crew Member
MI is a myocardial infarction, also known as a heart attack.

Gotcha. Still learning here :p

Why can't you just say heart attack if you mean heart attack?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Gotcha. Still learning here :p

Why can't you just say heart attack if you mean heart attack?

Because we tend to use medical terminology when speaking with eachother :)

CVA, angina, MI, TIA, AAA... the list goes on and as you complete EMT class you'll understand a few more and realize just how many abbreviations medicine has.

Last edited by a moderator:

xgpt

Forum Crew Member
abbreviations save time in the field. may only save a millie second but time saved non the less

True.

Sometimes

You have to think about it.

Myocardial Infarction - 7 syllables -- MI - 2 syllables = Saves time

Heart Attack - 3 Syllables -- MI - 2 syllables = Saves time?

UNLESS if you're talking to someone who doesn't know what MI means...then you have to wait for them to ask what MI mean, then explain.

If you're using an acronym that someone doesn't know, it won't save you time, it'll cost you time.

Just sayin` street names are better than acronyms when it comes to medical terminology. B)

Anyway

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
True.

Sometimes

You have to think about it.

Myocardial Infarction - 7 syllables -- MI - 2 syllables = Saves time

Heart Attack - 3 Syllables -- MI - 2 syllables = Saves time?

UNLESS if you're talking to someone who doesn't know what MI means...then you have to wait for them to ask what MI mean, then explain.

If you're using an acronym that someone doesn't know, it won't save you time, it'll cost you time.

Just sayin` street names are better than acronyms when it comes to medical terminology. B)

Anyway

We do have a certain expectation on this forum about using simple medical terminology :p If I was talking to a family member of someone who had an MI, I would most likely say heart attack, but not here on the forum where we think most people know the basics

xgpt

Forum Crew Member
We do have a certain expectation on this forum about using simple medical terminology :p If I was talking to a family member of someone who had an MI, I would most likely say heart attack, but not here on the forum where we think most people know the basics

I'm not saying don't use it!

I just feel crummy when I have to ask.

emt_irl

Forum Captain
was just thiniking id use abbreviations for mostly everything with my collagues because they would understand them and would take ages to say most things full name/ meaning, but when talking to concious patients id take some time to explain what something would mean

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Dangit!

I said stop sending me random texts early in the morning! Gets my hopes up for nothing.

You know who you are >_>

mct601

RN/NRP
Dangit!

I said stop sending me random texts early in the morning! Gets my hopes up for nothing.

You know who you are >_>

I love (sarcasm) getting fully awake in the morning, checking my iPhone, seeing I held a complete conversation with someone, and have absolutely no recollection of it. Idk if that happens with anyone else. What makes it even better is the fact that my responses are about 45% coherent.

8jimi8

CFRN
I love (sarcasm) getting fully awake in the morning, checking my iPhone, seeing I held a complete conversation with someone, and have absolutely no recollection of it. Idk if that happens with anyone else. What makes it even better is the fact that my responses are about 45% coherent.

do you take ambien?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

I've done that a time or two. With no ETOH or drugs required :p