the 100% directionless thread

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
Is G5 the one with the iOS interface ? I’ve seen these in a PICU when they just arrived.

Yes? The servo-u also looks kinda iOS.

The G5 has the lungs that look more or less boxy based on compliance.

We trialed one G5 and didn't like it, it didn't work well enough on kids. The flow sensors and capnography don't actually seem any better for patient care than the current tech.

We will keep running our old servo-i vents until they aren't reasonably serviceable, and then probably transition to servo-u vents.

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
Yes? The servo-u also looks kinda iOS.

The G5 has the lungs that look more or less boxy based on compliance.

We trialed one G5 and didn't like it, it didn't work well enough on kids. The flow sensors and capnography don't actually seem any better for patient care than the current tech.

We will keep running our old servo-i vents until they aren't reasonably serviceable, and then probably transition to servo-u vents.

That’s the impression I’ve gotten from the RTs and CCRNs as well. Lots of bells and whistles on the new vents but no real improvement over the old ones.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I’m confused. Why did you have to stabilize the patient and not the sending facility ?
Because they can’t. My old job had a small critical access hospital that would call the station phone and ask for us to come help them with sick patients while they arranged transfers. They were often so ill prepared that we would bring in our own bags and vent to manage the patient. One flight program here actually advertises that they will fly and out and help stabilize patients and not even transfer the patient if it is no longer appropriate for air.

also helipads are essential for these small hospitals that aren’t in urban areas. We have urgent cares out in the boons with their own LZs.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Because they can’t. My old job had a small critical access hospital that would call the station phone and ask for us to come help them with sick patients while they arranged transfers. They were often so ill prepared that we would bring in our own bags and vent to manage the patient. One flight program here actually advertises that they will fly and out and help stabilize patients and not even transfer the patient if it is no longer appropriate for air.

also helipads are essential for these small hospitals that aren’t in urban areas. We have urgent cares out in the boons with their own LZs.
My company does this. We don’t receive any payments for doing it but we do it in the hopes that it will get us a flight and it also makes us look great to our hospitals so we will usually be their first call.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
My company does this. We don’t receive any payments for doing it but we do it in the hopes that it will get us a flight and it also makes us look great to our hospitals so we will usually be their first call.
I was always pissed when the hospital called us, we came over and did wizard stuff, and then they flew the patient. Like thanks for the money there boys and girls. Also it's seven minute flight to a real hospital and our guidelines were quite close to flights...

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
Can a lifepack 15 do RR without capnography equipment?

Adjustments.jpg

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.

An impedance monitor counts a respiratory rate by measuring the change of impedance (electrical resistance) in the chest as the lungs move air. The Zoll X series monitor does this if an ETCO2 device is NOT connected. If it is, it measures exhaled CO2 to count the respiratory rate.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
Why aren't they accurate though?

All you are measuring is the change in electrical impedance across lead II as it changes during respiration.

Remember that this change is so small that you don't typically see it as artifact on a 3 lead, sometimes you can see it on a more sensitive 12 lead machine. Now think about all of the artifact that is caused by moving, talking, and whatever else a patient could be doing. The monitor trys to make the best sense of this as it can, but it's still just trying to calculate out the change in impedance during this.

It also requires that you place you RA lead on the right upper portion of the chest, sort just at the lateral origin of the pectoralis major on the clavical but a small bit lower down. For the LL lead to be effective you need to have it just under the border of the rib cage so that you optimize the amount of lung volume you can measure impedance against while minimizing artifact.

Patients who are especially fat tend to be difficult to measure accurately. Anything that would make getting a clean 12 lead makes it difficult to get a good read. Now expect for those conditions to last for minutes, hours, or days.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Nothing like a red 20 second apnea alarm on a patient saturating 97% or higher at altitude.
Yep. Gotta love it...

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I wonder if you could 3D print an Autovent or Parapack?