the 100% directionless thread

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
Debating leaving my dept for a much larger agency that has a terrible schedule, but higher pay, would make more as a FF2PM than I do as an Engineer medic here. Plus their retirement is way better. But I will expose myself to many many force hires.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
2020 is shaping up okay so far. I'm presenting at several conferences, taking the ASM program, finishing the degree (at last) and getting involved with some national EMS groups.

I feel like I'm finally in a spot where I can have an impact in helping things to grow and improve.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Debating leaving my dept for a much larger agency that has a terrible schedule, but higher pay, would make more as a FF2PM than I do as an Engineer medic here. Plus their retirement is way better. But I will expose myself to many many force hires.

CAL FIRE ain't that bad man.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
2020 is shaping up okay so far. I'm presenting at several conferences, taking the ASM program, finishing the degree (at last) and getting involved with some national EMS groups.

I feel like I'm finally in a spot where I can have an impact in helping things to grow and improve.
Now this is just great news. Keep it up man.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
This time last year, my home life (as many of you know) was pretty bad. I kinda thought I'd never get out. But I wanted better things for myself.

I'm not going to say I'm the best and most successful new EMT out there, but I don't have trouble paying my bills. I eat home cooked meals often, I can buy myself a few things I don't need, have benefits, I have a matched 401K and I have a savings again. My job doesn't hate me, I'm picking up extra shifts.

My car has a few issues, but I'm not crazy worried about not being able to pay for things anymore.

I sleep easier. This job isn't difficult and I'm learning a lot. AMR isn't as scary as they made it seem. It's a good job. They've actually done more for me in my EMS career than any other service in several ways.

Making 2020 what I want it to be, not waiting for it. :)

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
CAL FIRE ain't that bad man.
I have a lot of friends in RRU, I'm on the FF2PM list and applied for BDU and RRU. The only thing that worries me is that I've gotten complacent here and while I know my medic skills are still good, my fire stuff has definitely fallen off.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Just got my first tube in nearly a year. The adrenaline high lasted about 5 seconds. Then I remebered I now have to write an RSI chart.

Also the first time I got vomit covering the mcgrath lens despite suctioning, was still a fairly easy tube. I like VL......a lot.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Just got my first tube in nearly a year. The adrenaline high lasted about 5 seconds. Then I remebered I now have to write an RSI chart.

Also the first time I got vomit covering the mcgrath lens despite suctioning, was still a fairly easy tube. I like VL......a lot.

What was the reason for RSI. The MOI/NOI?

Last edited:

CALEMT

CALEMT

I have a lot of friends in RRU, I'm on the FF2PM list and applied for BDU and RRU. The only thing that worries me is that I've gotten complacent here and while I know my medic skills are still good, my fire stuff has definitely fallen off.

I wouldn’t worry to much about that man. I can’t speak for BDU, but RRU will do a orientation welcome to the unit sort of thing.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Any reason to use a lifepack as a manual defib rather than AED?

(Of course if trained)
Typically a person can analyze a rhythm faster than an AED. AED shocks at a set amount of joules. From experience I can tell you that if you forget you recently became a medic, and turn the LP15 to AED mode then switch it back, it won't auto escalate the joules, you have to manually increase the energy.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
It takes much longer for the advisory mode to analyze a rhythm. We train our medics to precharge the monitor, rhythm check and deliver a shock in less than 10 seconds. If you’re a medic using a monitor in AED/advisory mode ... you’re getting some remediation. :)

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
It takes much longer for the advisory mode to analyze a rhythm. We train our medics to precharge the monitor, rhythm check and deliver a shock in less than 10 seconds. If you’re a medic using a monitor in AED/advisory mode ... you’re getting some remediation. :)
But for a basic who can't read a rhythm, there's not much point, is there?

CALEMT

But for a basic who can't read a rhythm, there's not much point, is there?

Sure you can. V-Tach and V-Fib are easy to interpret.

Also as a medic who worked on a box I would have my EMT’s do rhythm interpretation. I can teach you the basics to it in 15 minutes. By the end of that they could interpret NSR, ST, SB, SVT, A-fib, V-Tach, and V-Fib. It’s not as complicated as it’s chocked up to be.