the 100% directionless thread

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
We made a feast. Just about to cut the prime rib and we get paged for abdominal pain very far away. Advised to stage as the party brandished a rifle at deputies last time and ended up getting tased. Party now states (directly as this county still doesn't EMD) that he has severe tearing pain that moves into his lower back. Put a helicopter up, have it land at the closest fire station. 35 minute response. 10 minutes to stage too as the deputies are even farther away. Deputies get in the house, find the patient in the fetal position and real drunk. Advise that the patient says he's been shot.

Get in the house, look at the deputies and ask if he's been shot...deputy says no way this dude got shot, he's just drunk. Pull his shirt up and shirt up and sure enough he totally took one to the gut. He looked awful but it must have been awhile as there was very minimal bleeding. Refused to answer any and all questions about what happened. So we stuffed him on a helicopter and went back to our prime rib....Merry Christmas indeed.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays EMTLife!

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
Hoping the rest of my shift stays quiet. We cooked breakfast and lunch. Then got dinner at the fire station and now am trying to sleep despite the station being very hot and giving me a headache. Oh and I have a flight home in 10hrs to see family, so I got about a 90min drive to the airport after I go home and take a shower. Will be a fun and slightly busy day.

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
We made a feast. Just about to cut the prime rib and we get paged for abdominal pain very far away. Advised to stage as the party brandished a rifle at deputies last time and ended up getting tased. Party now states (directly as this county still doesn't EMD) that he has severe tearing pain that moves into his lower back. Put a helicopter up, have it land at the closest fire station. 35 minute response. 10 minutes to stage too as the deputies are even farther away. Deputies get in the house, find the patient in the fetal position and real drunk. Advise that the patient says he's been shot.

Get in the house, look at the deputies and ask if he's been shot...deputy says no way this dude got shot, he's just drunk. Pull his shirt up and shirt up and sure enough he totally took one to the gut. He looked awful but it must have been awhile as there was very minimal bleeding. Refused to answer any and all questions about what happened. So we stuffed him on a helicopter and went back to our prime rib....Merry Christmas indeed.

We had a call a while back for a GSW + stabbing. Staged, got cleared to enter - it’s a liquor store. With a 50-odd y.o. frequent flyer F in a wheel chair next to it. A bottle or vodka in her lap, stating for anyone willing to listen that she was shot and stabbed through the stomach. Yep, darling, 750mL of ETOH will do that to you...

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
Drunk mom neglected to give her diabetic 10 year old his insulin for the past few days due to being a bit too festive instead of a parent. Kept trying to throw herself on top of him while we were loading him up.

Informed us there is no way he is in DKA and "it must be new asthma since he's panting like that".

Merry Christmas.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Girl yesterday said she was given a tainted cigarette and found soap and crayon shavings in the bathroom. Heard crackling, saw it oozing, still smoked it all. Thought she was going to die in the ambulance... Was worried about her heart rate going down....Thank God there are portions of this population with more than double digit intelligence.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Brain bleed x1 hour, posturing, all kinds of gorked.

RocketMedic

This Jon Puryear class is like drinking sand.

Old Tracker

Forum Asst. Chief
Got 1 Pt last night...finally. 12 yo m, riding an ATV in Mexico, no helmet. Going up a hill on a caliche road. Parents didn't know if he hit the brake or the gas, but he was thrown off and wasn't in any shape to tell them anything because of the no longer firm area on his lower left occiput that was bleeding heavily.

We got him entubated from the Mexican hospital and they were bagging him. Luckily we had a paramedic working and were able to fly him out in less than an hour. But, she really had to work to keep him stable. All I did was keep bagging and monitoring vitals.

Feel bad for the parents, but don't understand why would they let him ride without a helmet.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I was on an excursion off a cruise ship in Cozumel. We’re were riding quads through a banana plantation way out in tbe middle of no where. I remember thinking, “if something happens out here, we’re gonna die. No doubt about it.”

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Couple of months ago I had a weird one, luckily the patient was stable. Kid went to Mexico on vacation and crashed the side by side he was driving with no seatbelt. Ejected, LOC, femur fracture. Friends drove him to a Mexican clinic. Mexican clinic found out he was American and drive him to the border and left him with the border patrol. Border patrol called for an ambulance. Ambulance got on scene and called for an airship. Airship transported him to a non-pediatric level 2 trauma center instead of flying the same distance to a dedicated pedi hospital.

Level 2 trauma did initial stabilization of the patient and was trying to arrange for transport to dedicated pedi center. Pedi Center said they would send out their own flight team. After 2 hours the level 2 heard nothing and called them back. They said “oh, the trauma doc cleared the patient to go BLS here”. So after about 30 minutes of back and forth they agree we will ground transport the kid ALS to the pedi center. About an hour into our transport we find out the pedi center changed their mind and sent their helicopter only for them to arrive and find out the patient was already transported by us.

We arrive at the pedi center and they call a trauma code on our patient (initial incident happened well over 13 hours by this point). We are giving the report to the team and the flight team comes down and says “oh, is this the patient we were sent to pick up?”

Old Tracker

Forum Asst. Chief
Dispatch had it as an ATV accident and the kid supposedly only had a broken nose. I knew that was bovine scat because they wouldn't waste time on an ambulance over there on something they could have the family pov him to the port of entry.

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
Dispatch had it as an ATV accident and the kid supposedly only had a broken nose. I knew that was bovine scat because they wouldn't waste time on an ambulance over there on something they could have the family pov him to the port of entry.
So do you cross the border to get him? Or does a Mexican ambulance drive up to the border and you drive up to the border and exchange at the border?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

RocketMedic

Na, it's a company mandate. Three long, dry hours of reading and listening to slides. Super-boring.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Probably just gonna do the freebie CEU's through the state. Power points might not be fun, but I don't particularly want to redo the NREMT either. At least I have some say in what I do for CEU's instead of getting asked causes of random degenerative neuro problems I didn't even know existed.

Old Tracker

Forum Asst. Chief
So do you cross the border to get him? Or does a Mexican ambulance drive up to the border and you drive up to the border and exchange at the border?

The Mexican ambulance brings them to the Port of Entry. All pax have to be cleared to enter the US at the POE before they get in our truck, They also can arrive in a POV, but going through the clearing procedure before we get paged out.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Taking the test is by far the easiest way to revert, but the thought of it makes people nauseous.

I'm (almost) sympathetic to the idea of requiring retesting - the physician boards are (all?) coming around to the idea of mandatory retesting every 10 years, I believe.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Oh so a long term follow up, but a 3rd year Res rode with us recently and gave me the answer on that lady I almost had to cric. He said it was crack induced angioedema, seems she had a nice little cocaine habit going on. Had someone sneak it into the hospital for her and almost had to be reintubated too. From the bits I've gotten off Google, there have been people presenting with an allergic reaction after cocaine use. She wasn't showing any other signs besides the swelling, but that would explain how this wasn't her first time having this happen too.

Still trying to find a decent article on it, but if you see something of the sorts and ACE inhibitors, food allergy, etc. are not in the picture, add cocaine to your check list.