the 100% directionless thread

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Also...Game of Thrones, anybody?
bba9a20c64a4ded58fe6841e4759b8f3.jpg

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Pretty much my thoughts, say I'm at Albertsons and it pops off for the Starbucks 50 ft away across the parking lot, I might find myself moseying on over, or even this morning one of the 2 church's next to our block or the brake shop on the corner, even if I was still in my company t-shirt on my way home from work I'd be hard pressed to show up to a private residence off duty uninvited...

Yeah - public place nearby is fair game. Residences are too risky!

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I listen to a lot of Vicente Fernandez and other ranchera or norteno stuff. You mentioned Pandora, people freak when my Pandora jumps from Vicente, Emilio, Los Fugitivos to Sabaton or Black Sabbath.
You're hardcore, man. ¿Don Chente? He had a restaurant chain when I last worked in, and around the areas I grew up in in Los Angeles.

Old Tracker

Forum Asst. Chief
I learned to speak Spanish by listening to his music. Had the Border Patrol course, but that wasn't enough to actually converse. I was blessed with a partner, on midnights, who I could ask what Vicente was singing about. he also didn't laugh at my gringo butt when I would try to speak it.

Never occurred to me that it would have uses outside of LEO work, but here I be, still on the border and speaking Spanish with 99% of the patients.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I learned to speak Spanish by listening to his music. Had the Border Patrol course, but that wasn't enough to actually converse. I was blessed with a partner, on midnights, who I could ask what Vicente was singing about. he also didn't laugh at my gringo butt when I would try to speak it.

Never occurred to me that it would have uses outside of LEO work, but here I be, still on the border and speaking Spanish with 99% of the patients.
Your spanish would run circles around mine.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
hola. Soy Andrew! Donde esta embajada americana

Thats all i know.

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
Hola, que tal?
Donde se duele?
Cuantos cervezas?
Toma drogas/medicaciones?
A que hospital quiere ir?

I should probably work towards retaining more Spanish.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
This strikes me as the major issue with PulsePoint...
I mean, if I'm in the same supermarket, or, heck, a block away, I'd mosey over. But somebody's house? Not likely.

Ours only alerts on arrests in public places. I don't believe it will give an alert on arrests in private residences unless there's a setting on the back end that the department can choose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Ours only alerts on arrests in public places. I don't believe it will give an alert on arrests in private residences unless there's a setting on the back end that the department can choose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Should alert at SNFs, citizens can provide better care than the staff at some of them...

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Hola, que tal?
Donde se duele?
Cuantos cervezas?
Toma drogas/medicaciones?
A que hospital quiere ir?

I should probably work towards retaining more Spanish.

How about "Que pasaron?" ;)
(@VentMonkey Am I remembering my high school Spanish conjugations right?)

VentMonkey

Family Guy
How about "Que pasaron?" ;)
(@VentMonkey Am I remembering my high school Spanish conjugations right?)
Depends on your context? "¡Oyga, ya los vamos con nosotros!*" is what I like to tell our family riders. Like I said, I'm semi-fluent, my wife's spanish buries mine in the dirt.

*my spelling is even worse than my spanglish.

Old Tracker

Forum Asst. Chief
Depends on your context? "¡Oyga, ya los vamos con nosotros!*" is what I like to tell our family riders. Like I said, I'm semi-fluent, my wife's spanish buries mine in the dirt.

*my spelling is even worse than my spanglish.

No te preocupes buey, yo te entiendo perfectamente. But, first my mind has to shift gears from English to Spanish. :D

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
i know how to say show me to the american embassy in like 15 languages :D

Old Tracker

Forum Asst. Chief

Literally yes, but more commonly used as a somewhat term of endearment, (for lack of a better term, right now.) Used among friends. That is the barrio side of my education as opposed to the more formal Usted form of speaking.

edit: Hadn't read Vent Monkey's post yet when I answered.