the 100% directionless thread

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
I feel like my station has had more and more of those "stand up" 24s you're describing, with a call every few hours.....when I first came to my station a year ago, bad nights weren't unusual, but weren't the norm either....now outside of last shift on Easter, I'm not sure if I can even remember the last time I had a night were we actually slept more than a few hours (total, not just in a row). This alone is already making me feel dangerously close to burning out.......hopefully either I get my shift bid for another station approved soon, or we add more units for the new service area, or better yet, I hurry up and get into my Academy and move out to the real west coast ;):cool:

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
So during weekend 1 of our music festival myself and my partner got placed on prescription medication check for ~8 hours one day. I'm sorry ma'am but that clear capsule that is 1/4 of the way filled with a brown crystal substance is definitely not prescription medication. Because you lied and tried to hide these drugs in a weekly pill dispenser these wonderful security guards and cops are now going to despose of all of these pills and you are going to be held here for 2 hours while they tear apart your car and search everything including a pat down.

And when you try to argue about it just know that I have seen plenty of Molly/MDMA/Extasy so I am pretty good about picking it out and also the field drug test shows you are lying. Also to the lady who had activate charcoal capsules, I hate you with all my heart.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I hate you with all my heart.

ca6fdbf69e3f75269e49471c71fb5cd2.jpg

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Prescription medication check? That sounds like a job for "da po-lease". That sounds right up there with LEO's asking me to randomly do labs in the field, nothing I'd want any part of.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Prescription medication check? That sounds like a job for "da po-lease". That sounds right up there with LEO's asking me to randomly do labs in the field, nothing I'd want any part of.
It's done behind the scene. The security staff will take the medications (they are ideally supposed to be in the prescription bottle) to us. We just do a quick check to make sure the name one the prescription matches the name on their ID and that the pills inside at least resemble actual medication. If there is any question over the medication the security staff has test kits to test it. If it's only for personal use it will be confiscated. If it's enough for sales then LEO will arrest them and charge them.

Sadly with the amount of deaths and ODs that we get everyone gets a car check and pull pat down. It sucks but it is needed. Those who lie about drugs sit in the sun for 2 hours while their vehicle is searched. Those who are up front usually are there for about 45 minutes for a search.

No one likes doing it and none of us want to be "that guy" who takes their fun away but it really is needed. I also use it as a time to remind people to stay hydrated and to tell those with asthma that they need to stay on top of treating it or they may legitimately die (happens every year).

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
That moment when you're driving into work but have to pull over for one of the off going crews driving by you code 3 on a call.....
Also the moment when you walk into station and find everyone else running around mopping and vacuuming amd running around trying to knock out all the station chores at once and sheisse at 0630 meanwhile im draining the last of my coffee still generally trying to remember how to be alive:confused:

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Just got back from Texas a couple hours ago...definitely considering a move there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Medic? There's more than a few good places hiring right now.

Nick15

Forum Crew Member
Medic? There's more than a few good places hiring right now.

Emt. Only problem is my national just lapsed, but it shouldn't be too hard to get it back. We are looking at tarrant county. Mostly everything is run by fire which sucks, but commuting there would be nothing like commuting for so cal.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Emt. Only problem is my national just lapsed, but it shouldn't be too hard to get it back. We are looking at tarrant county. Mostly everything is run by fire which sucks, but commuting there would be nothing like commuting for so cal.

Medstar in fort Worth is good. Plus there's good third service agencies all over the state

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
You work in Texas I'm guessing? Mind if I pm you?

I do, as does Rocket. Feel free to pm me

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
This is also sounds like "inadmissible in a court of law."

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

We do the same type of checks for the event company I work for. It's admissible because it's part of the terms and conditions you agree to when you buy tickets to these festivals. There's plenty of signs posted that say "if contraband is discovered you will be prosecuted" so on and so forth. Generally we find it and if they're honest it gets taken and disposed of and they're sent on their way. When they have a massive amount or try to lie about it is when it becomes an issue.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
How so? If it's for personal use it just gets tossed. If it's enough for sales then LEO will take the drugs in as evidence and send it out for testing.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
How so? If it's for personal use it just gets tossed. If it's enough for sales then LEO will take the drugs in as evidence and send it out for testing.
Seems like there might be some chain of custody issues, among other things. Given the lengths that attorneys will go through to overturn a DUI, it just seems likes there's probably a case to be made there (for better or not).

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Seems like there might be some chain of custody issues, among other things. Given the lengths that attorneys will go through to overturn a DUI, it just seems likes there's probably a case to be made there (for better or not).

Generally there's a LEO readily available for situations at the gate (read: at least one or two at the gate).

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
This:
Generally there's a LEO readily available for situations at the gate (read: at least one or two at the gate).

There are 10-12 LEO sitting in their patrol units at the security screening area. If security pulls out a bag that is big enough for sales they will put it on a table right next to the car and wave over LEO. LEO will then start their investigation and make the arrests.

If it's a small amount then security will just toss it in special metal bins that the police department owns and let the people carry on with getting to their camping site.