the 100% directionless thread

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Covering our racetrack today. So far we have had 8 crashes. 2 transported by ground, 1 flown out, and the rest non-injury. More action then I really wanted today

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I worked football last night. Normally it's just OT pay and schnaks, of course I get there and turns into interrupted schnaks and a player getting transported. :/

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Covering our racetrack today. So far we have had 8 crashes. 2 transported by ground, 1 flown out, and the rest non-injury. More action then I really wanted today
Seriously? All the times I've been out we've had one rider evaluation and that's it.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Seriously? All the times I've been out we've had one rider evaluation and that's it.

The handful of times I've been out there I've just sat there and done nothing.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
After a 99 hour work week, I'd say I deserve a couple days off, some drinks, and to enjoy taking my little "ghouls" trick or treating...
But you didnt break 100... thats the true mark of officially being able to be tired ;)

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
Does it count that my total for the pay period is over 170 hours:(?
No leniency! no mercy! lol. just kidding bud :). enjoy your time off with your family :p.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Dang dude, padding the bank for Christmas or what?
Lol, sorta. Two kids, one of who's birthday is the day after Christmas. Alas, I am the father of two small girls that very much have me wrapped around their fingers:oops:.

It's our schedule too, though. Our rotating kelly can literally yield a ton of hours, or a 24 hour work week. Anything for the fam, man:).

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Lol, sorta. Two kids, one of who's birthday is the day after Christmas. Alas, I am the father of two small girls that very much have me wrapped around their fingers:oops:.

It's our schedule too, though. Our rotating kelly can literally yield a ton of hours, or a 24 hour work week. Anything for the fam, man:).

I know how that goes, 4 days before Christmas here. All piles up at once.

How busy is the place you work? That sounds like it gets pretty rough.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
How busy is the place you work? That sounds like it gets pretty rough.
I'm one of three FT flight paramedics at our service so our call volume while not crazy, is reasonable. That being said, anyone interested in flying know that even 1-2 calls/shift takes a major toll physically on your body.

The remainder of my hours (if my hours at the airport are short) are made up either as a ground CCT, or "911"/ metro paramedic.

In all honesty, I shouldn't complain. Not many jobs I know allow us this added income to provide our families, right?...

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm one of three FT flight paramedics at our service so our call volume while not crazy, is reasonable. That being said, anyone interested in flying know that even 1-2 calls/shift takes a major toll physically on your body.

The remainder of my hours (if my hours at the airport are short) are made up either as a ground CCT, or "911"/ metro paramedic.

In all honesty, I shouldn't complain. Not many jobs I know allow us this added income to provide our families, right?...
I know nothing about flight other than I want to take the course at some point for a new educational challenge, what is it that makes it physically demanding?

Assuming your regular hours pay adequately, I would agree, it can be great if/when you have the time to do so. Otherwise, yes and no. That is kind of why I am thinking of making a switch down the road. Virginia just doesn't pay as well as the St. Louis area as far as I am aware and the places that do have a much higher cost of living.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
I know nothing about flight other than I want to take the course at some point for a new educational challenge, what is it that makes it physically demanding?.

Working in confined spaces, intense mental demands, temperature fluctuations, wearing a helmet for hours, constant vibration and noise, fumes, etc.

It is amazing how quickly you fatigue

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Working in confined spaces, intense mental demands, temperature fluctuations, wearing a helmet for hours, constant vibration and noise, fumes, etc.

It is amazing how quickly you fatigue
Pretty much this, along with the general wear and tear it can cause on your body physiologically, what with altitude changes and all.

It took a bit for me to realize why I kept coming home so fatigued even if we didn't get a night flight.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Hmmm, I never really thought it would be, but that makes sense. Maybe I will try to get a ride along with one of the flight services out here, I am almost positive one of them allows it.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Hmmm, I never really thought it would be, but that makes sense. Maybe I will try to get a ride along with one of the flight services out here, I am almost positive one of them allows it.

We have a ride along program. I bet there is an ARCH base near you. Let me know and I can get you the info.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
There is, I have seen the ARCH folks many times at some of the bigger hospitals here.

Each ARCH base has a Facebook page and will post dates for their Ride A Long classes. We usually have a couple a month.